Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
on September 13, 2015
Loved this book!
on January 18, 2015
Loved it! This book appears to be about magic but is really about human nature and what it means to be a grown up in a complicated world. Would highly recommend it. I just finished reading the third book in the series and all are engrossing
on September 25, 2014
An amazing book with rich characters. I couldn't put it down and burnt through the next two immediately after.
on December 7, 2013
Badass harry potter! Magician school, fighting evil, adventures ... but also sex and sarcasm. Can't wait to read the other books in the series.
on October 16, 2013
Perfect blend of magic and fantasy! Hard to put down. As a magician I was hooked from the very first page!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon June 20, 2013
Lev Grossman has reinvigorated the genre of fantasy with his "Magician" novels, merging traditional tropes of heroic fantasy with the elements and techniques associated with contemporary mainstream Anglo-American literary fiction, and creating what have to be regarded as instant classics in the genre of fantasy fiction. "The Magicians" is the first great fantasy novel of this century; a riveting coming-of-age tale about an intellectually gifted teenager, one Quentin Coldwater, eventually, a magician who learns that possession of great magical powers can come at a most terrible price. Paying homage to such illustrious writers as C. S. Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, T. H. White, and Ursula K. Le Guin, while also acknowledging a most respectful nod or two to J. K. Rowling's "Harry Potter" saga, Grossman has wrought a fantasy tale steeped in realism unlike any other, one in which reasonable, sound choices are those that can be expected and the usage of magic itself can not alter the past nor the present. An unexpected chain of events takes Coldwater from the streets of his Park Slope, Brooklyn home to the Brakebills College of Magical Pedagogy, whose idyllic grounds overlook the Hudson River, even as he dreams of Fillory, the magical realm depicted in his favorite fantasy novels. A passion that consumes him even as a young adult recently graduated from Brakebills, until, by accident, he learns that Fillory is indeed a real realm located in another plain of existence. Journeying with his college friends, Quentin makes a perilous trip there, finding it not the realm of his dreams, but instead, one that is far more dangerous than he could ever have possibly imagined, and uncovering a terrible secret whose discovery will cause great harm and emotional anguish to Quention and his friends. Much to my astonishment, Grossman has written a most compelling dark fantasy novel for adults that merges the emotions, wants and desires of twenty-something adults within the tropes of heroic fantasy; it would be an understatement to say that this is a "Harry Potter" novel for adults; it is much more, an epic fantasy worthy of comparison with the finest written from the likes of Homer to Lewis and Tolkien, and one that considerably raises the standard for writing epic fantasy tales, by merging it successfully within the genre of mainstream literary fiction. Without a doubt, "The Magicians" will be remembered as one of the great fantasy novels of our time, and it and its sequels as the first great fantasy saga of the 21st Century and one worthy of recognition as among the finest ever conceived.
on October 23, 2011
You know how sometimes you hear people talking about a book, but you don’t think much of it or you don’t think it would be for you. Or sometimes, even though the things that you’ve heard about it are good they’re kind of nondescript, so you don’t really know what they book is about so the recollection of it just sort of falls into one of those cardboard bankers boxes in the back of your mind ' that is until you see it on sale at your local book store and you think “Hey! That book! I’ve heard good things about it, I should totally pick it up for that awesome sale price”. Please tell me that that has happened to you ' just me? Well, anyways, that’s exactly what happened to me with Lev Grossman’s The Magicians.
I started reading the book, and about ten pages in all I could think was “holy cow, how did this book escape me!” Lev Grossman has created a great novel for adults that reads like those amazing books that those of us destined to grow up to be nerds read over and over, like the Narnia series, or for the younger generation, even Harry Potter. The whole time I was reading it I just kept thinking how great it was to have a book like this written for adults. It’s not a sugar coated fantasy world, and things can, and do, go horribly, horribly wrong.
The Magicians follows the story of Quentin, a high school senior who is ‘selected’ to take an entrance exam to Brakebills, the only institution of higher learning in North America devoted to the study of magic. Real magic. I suppose that I won’t be giving anything away when I tell you that he is accepted, and begins his studies to become a magician. I think you probably would have gleaned that much from the title. But really though, I don’t want to give too much away because I think The Magicians is a really great book, and I wouldn’t want to ruin anything.
If you liked Potter and Narnia, His Dark Materials and the Tolkien books, then The Magicians is for you, and I highly recommend it. It’s like Potter with more sex, drinking and other real-life-ish type stuff. I honestly couldn’t put it down. When I bought The Magicians, the cashier at the book store was genuinely super excited, and told me that the sequel had just come out, and even though she doesn’t generally buy hardcovers because they’re so pricey she bought The Magician King right away, and liked it even more than The Magicians. I’ve gotta say, I can’t wait to sink my teeth into the next book.
on October 7, 2010
I have maybe 30 pages left to read but wow, so different and full of imagination. This book is very close to the stories from Harry Potter and Narnia but with a twist and if it was a movie it would probably be rated 14A. There is a bit of swearing but it's perfectly timed. Humour is amazing - even when i read this on the bus i dont mind smiling because it's so funny. And the best part, it's full of suprises. Just when you think you know what is going to happy, the book catches you fully off guard. I can't believe how things are turning out to be in the end of this novel. This is a grown-up Harry Potter and Narnia all in one. I believe the second part is coming out Summer 2011 - I can't wait!

If you're looking for magic, action, humour, surprises - then get this and read it.