5.0 out of 5 stars This book will also work will with Adults that misbehave
I bought this book to try to learn new skills on how to deal with professional adults who misbehave in the work place. The same skills talked about in the book can be used on any person of any age.
Published on Oct. 11 2009 by Robin Jackson

2.0 out of 5 stars Honey, She Wrecked This Book
This book is relentlessly cutsie and full of tedious "aw-shucks" writing. It reads like unedited material. It's a jumbled mass of mixed-up and hastily thrown together ideas. It's full of piled-up cliches from the first page to the back cover.

I DO NOT recommend buying it. Flip through it in a bookstore and you have all the info you need.

A loving...
Published on April 13 2009 by Vancouver reader

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will also work will with Adults that misbehave, Oct. 11 2009
Robin Jackson (Canada) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Honey, I Wrecked the Kids: When Yelling, Screaming, Threats, Bribes, Time-outs, Sticker Charts and Removing Privileges All Don't Work (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars It has helped me manage my toddler, Dec 4 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I was helpless as my first boy starts to give me tantrums and my usual way of what I remember how my parents disciplined me doesn't seem to work. After reading this book halfway and started applying some of the principles, I start to have some sense and understanding of what he needs and what I need to do to to work together. There are still moments where I don't know what to do but it has definitely helped me manage my toddler.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, useful and easy to read & implement!, Nov. 5 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
It is changing the way my family operates! We are seeing change already! I love it. I finished it about a 2 weeks ago but I keep going back to my notes- almost everyday! My husband is reading it now. I have recommended it to many of my friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read if your children are driving you crazy!, March 23 2009
I am a huge fan of Alyson Schafer. I had called into her show on Rogers TV a couple of times and both times received advice that seemed so easy to follow and advice that you would hear nowhere else, and you know what? ...it always worked! I loved her book "Breaking the Good Mom Myth," but wanted more. "Honey, I Wrecked the Kids" provided just that. It outlines and provides great examples of her approach to parenting, which is helping to empower our children and become co-operative people in our homes and society. I watched an episode of "Supernanny," which I would normally find informative ... but after reading this book I was horrified, "Supernanny" has nothing on Alyson's techniques! Alyson's techniques require a shift in the way we view and treat our children, some techniques can be used right away and some may take more time ... But the advice is comparable to none. A must read for anyone dealing with children bouncing off the walls and wreaking havoc in your home! Like mine ... were!

5.0 out of 5 stars The kind of parent I want to be, June 14 2009
Stefanie Wilson (Halifax, Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
I loved Breaking the Good Mom Myth: Every Mom's Modern Guide to Getting Past Perfection, Regaining Sanity, and Raising Great Kids, and I've read all of the Dreikurs books but this book really internalized all the information for me. It not only helped me to understand the motivation and challenges my children are working with but it also helped me combat some of my own demons. I am confident that reading this book has brought me closer to becoming the parent I want to be. Thanks Alyson!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Parenting Resource!, Feb. 26 2009
Karen Williams (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
Fantastic! This witty and down-to-earth book delivers practical and effective strategies for any parent struggling with discipline. Alyson goes beyond the quick-fix approach to stopping unwanted behaviour. She guides us through numerous easy-to-relate-to examples to help us understand the root causes of `mis'behaviour. Once the causes are identified, we are offered strategies that are appropriate in gaining cooperation from children in mutually respectful ways. Personally, I know this book will be an invaluable resource to me, both as a parent and in my career as a psychotherapist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, July 25 2011
Emily Chapman (Nanaimo, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
A mommy-friend recommended this book to me, and I was initially quite resistant. I ordered it from the library first, and was so taken with the whole approach that I promptly ordered it from Amazon so I'd have a copy to keep. This is a great book for the frustrated parent or tired parent or at-wits-end parent, or even the parent who just wants a few more communication tools up his/her sleeve.

Both this book and the follow-up "Ain't Misbehavin'" are so empowering in that they give positive ideas on ways to respond to children's behaviours when nothing else seems to work. I find the suggestions help me to feel more capable, more calm, and more in control of myself when my toddlers are not cooperating, and the positive effects on their behaviour are so powerful. I have a degree in psychology and find the psychology behind the approach particularly intriguing, but this book is written for all parents. It's a bit "cutsy" and overly-casual in the language at times, but it's a book I'll refer to again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The user's guide for Parents with kids of every age and at every stage., Dec 2 2010
Amaya Mocha (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I have had the distinct pleasure of hearing Alyson speak on more than one occassion and I am pleased to say that she's real, she's brilliant and when it comes to raising kids... she's right.

I have been a nanny for 13 years, so by the time I had my own son I thought I had it all figured out; boy was I wrong! But Alyson's book came to the rescue and I'm so pleased to say that I have an extremely well behaved, happy and content four year old son that I am SO proud of every day. Now that I've learned the lesson's Alyson so brilliantly lays out for us all in her new book, my job is a breeze and my time with my son is an absolute joy. And best of all... no more tantrums! :)

This is the book I recommend to all the Parents I meet, no matter if they're struggling with terrible two's or ready to pull their hair out because of a rebellious teenager. Alyson's methods are fool proof if you're willing to trust in her expertise. this is it folks... the book every frazzled parent has been looking for, pick yours up today and buy one for your exhausted friends too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, May 31 2010
M. Hughes - See all my reviews
Saw Alyson when she visited London Ontario and HAD to buy the book. I have 3 daughters close in age with different personalities and came to realize that they all need to be recognized and motivated differently. We've been trying it out for 1 month and already the volume has decreased dramatically in our household. A MUST BUY FOR PARENTS!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the title!, July 7 2009
A. Browne (Mississauga, ON CANADA) - See all my reviews
I'm also a HUGE fan of Alyson's parenting approach (as anyone who knows me will attest).

Love the content of the book. Not quite as easy to read as her first book, Breaking the Good Mom Myth, but the content is even better! Especially love finally getting some great specifics about age appropriate responsibilities and how to introduce and run family meetings.

When I first read the title I laughed and thought it was clever. I was eager to share this with my girlfriend who's looking for some great help but she didn't find the title funny at all. She's so stressed out and upset about the problems she's having being the parent she wants to be that she seems to have taken the title as another hit on her self esteem. And when I thought about it, it was an unusual title for Alyson to pick as she's all about encouraging and not shaming or blaming your kids so why would the title be so off message. Anyway, I wanted those of you, like my girlfriend, who might feel down about the title to know that if you get the book and get past the cover, the contents will help you from day 1.

Good luck!