5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book
Published on May 29 2005 by Wendy K.

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating At Times and Incomplete
Published on Feb. 16 2006

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating At Times and Incomplete, Feb. 16 2006
By A Customer
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
There is useful information between the covers of this book; unfortunately, most is buried within the context of conversations with the author, his friends and his "student". I did not like this style of writing at all and found it frustrating, at best; almost like reading a poorly written novel with truly inane dialog about skipping stones across a lake and farming, two give just two examples. If you can get by this (and it is clear most previous reviewers have), the information available is useful, but still incomplete.
For instance, the treatment of holding three investment properties when approaching lenders was informative. But since CMHC requires such large down payments on investment property, I would have liked to have read how we are expected to raise this capital. I would also like to have seen more on the fees and processes used by CMHC when investing in second or third properties.
Since there are also many differences between American tax law and real estate law and because we are inundated with so much of this American information, it would have been nice to see at least a chapter on these differences and how what we think may work in Canada won't, because of these differences.
Finally, buyers of this book gain access to the author's website. You should realize, however, that while there is some useful information there, its main purpose would seem geared to selling you a fairly expensive investing program. (I suspect this is how the author can finance his investments!)
This book is a good start, but the serious investor will need to consult other sources to gain a clearer picture of investing in Canadian real estate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware!!!!!!, March 3 2006
By A Customer
Be aware that this book is written buy the leader The Real Estate Investment Network (REIN), the real estate equivalent of Amway. Although a small amount of unique information is included in the book and on the Website, you must pay more money to get the "good" stuff. But Buyer Beware! Their motto is no hype and baloney but, in fact, that is what most of the Website is, hype about the product. It is the circle that feeds itself. The website insists you to go to the seminars, join the club, etc .... And then the seminar speakers encourage you buy the product, join the club in order to access the Website, which then tells you to go to more seminars... and so it goes. A big web of self promotion, with the leaders at the top getting extremely rich off of all the "would be" real estate investors.
I myself am a veteran RE Investor and have attended some of the REIN events. Although real estate investing is not difficult, it is not easy and not for everyone (as the author would have you beleive). It takes more then a dream of Belize and a desire to be rich. You need to have a passion for the business. It needs to excite you, be something that you want to do for many years. No one loves talking about real estate more then real estate investors. If you make a small effort to get to know a few you will learn all this information and more for free.
I am suspicious of some of the other reviwers as this auther has a very dedicated "flock" who I am sure have posted reviews here. It would make sense that they would give the book a good review even if it was awfull as this will encourage more people to come to the seminars and buy the products that are sold by the elite members.

3.0 out of 5 stars What's behind the curtain?, July 30 2006
P. Gravel (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
To use Don R Campbell's own words "What's behind the curtain?". This is the first book I have read about real estate investments and I did find it somewhat informative. It provides good common sense for researching properties, areas, negotiations. It did also provide allot of positive enthusiasm and confidence...a bit like a self help book would provide.

But the content seems superficial, there is no details on how to raise capital. ex: We get the impression Richard is flat broke yet he has the cash to buy an investment property!?!?!?! What is the minimum required capital required for investment property compared to personal property? How do we nogotiate with the real estate agent as compared to the seller, which I would assume would be the case most times.

Going to the asssociated web sight was the biggest disappointment. The first impression is buyer beware. Internet marketing at its most agressive. Leaves me wondering where did they actually make there money, on real estate or on selling the hype and other products?

Either way the book did have allot of good information to encourage me in studying more about Real Estate Investments. I would recommend to anybody who wants to consider this type of investment with a strong caution of "BEWARE - WHAT'S BEHIND THE CURTAIN"

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, May 29 2005
My portfolio includes various cash positive real estate properties as well as businesses. I found this book to be excellent information that I have already found useful. I recommend this book highly to anyone interested in real estate. I also recommend another book I just completed called Stop Working by Rohan Hall which focus on the entrepreneural side of things. Both books are excellent for anyone serious about wealth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Estate systems that work!, Oct. 23 2005
Millar Todd "Glenn Simon Inc." (Edmonton, Alberta and Utsunomiya, Japan) - See all my reviews
Simply put, this book is great. My wife and I are Canadian ex-pats
that have lived in Japan for over 7 years. We have been active in
business and Real Estate investing in Canada for over 8 years and
have had the opportunity to study and read many RE books as well as
attend seminars. As our business is based in Japan, we really
put this system to the test- long distance! Prior to reading Don's
fabulous book and becoming REIN members we had 'pretty good'
success in our investments across Canada. But, what a difference
Don's system made. We were able to turbo charge, streamline and
improve our company dramatically since applying these principles.

Some key points that I found useful and that other readers may too:

1) Clear analysis sheets to understand what you need to have in a property.

2) Practical advice on the steps needed to get your offer accepted and how to build relationships for long-term success.

3) How to plan for the purchase and manage expenses as well as market for the right tenant.

4) Which areas to target and why. Plus lots of links to other free tools for Canadians.

The difference between 'pretty good' and GREAT! Truly equates to a
better more profitable product and experience for not only our
partners, but our tenants and associates as well. We also improved our
bottom line by adding systems to reduce our risk, save money as
well as select superior properties to purchase. We've watched
our business in Japan grow and we're pleased to say that referrals
from our satisfied customers are proof!

Todd and Danielle Millar, glennsimoninc.com

2.0 out of 5 stars I am not happy with this book, May 26 2010
Ehsan "introguy" (Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Real Estate Investing in Canada: Creating Wealth with the ACRE System (Hardcover)
This is my first book on Real Estate Investing and I think this is not very good book on the topic. In first few chapters sound like Brian Tracy is giving his great personal development lecture in author's ineffective words. There is some useful information but personally I think that is very limited; I've find it poorly written with less information and more waste of time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of enthusiasm but not enough substance, July 7 2006
thatsimonguy (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Quite a bit of information is given in this book about real estate investing but as other customer reviewers have pointed out, there really isn't too much "Canadian specific" content, it's too vague. Out of the other 7 or 8 real estate books I've read, this one pretty much just summarizes them and puts a bit of Canadian flavour into it but does not hone in on specific points and precise differences.

A lot of the material is also hype and dreams (i.e., the personal Belize) to whet your appetite. Much of it is also hard to believe (like the single mother working a less-than-average-paying job who managed to buy 27 properties in the last 3 years).

Lots of points are covered and his checklists are quite useful but I don't think he goes into enough detail. Also, he refers to his website quite often (which hasn't been updated for 2 years now) and much of it requires registration for a small fee.

I wasn't too thrilled overall, 2 out of 5 stars at best. I'm currently reading "Making Money in Real Estate: The Canadian Guide to Investing in Residential Property" by Douglas Gray and it seems to be so much better already.

5.0 out of 5 stars 12 out of 10, July 21 2005
As a veteren Real Estate investor with over 47 transactions I was not sure if I could learn anything from this book... boy was I wrong...
Starting right from the beginning this book was loaded with insightful information on the Canadian Real Estate Market.
It was refreshing to have a Real Estate investing book written by a Canadian someone who knows what he is talking about. I have read many books on Real Estate and this one was head and sholders above everything else.. a must read for everyone who is either interested in or is a seasoned Real Estate investor

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, July 21 2005
Glen (Saskatoon, Sask.) - See all my reviews
Rarely, do I ever read a book from cover to cover, and usually I am very sceptical about things... but I can honestly say Real Estate Investing in Canada by Don Campbell was one of the most practical information loaded books that I have ever read.
From start to finish this book was loaded with 'meat & potatoes' I finished the book over this past weekend and I may read it again.
As a vetren Real Estate investor, I found at least 5 new things that I can implement tomorrow and especially the section starting on page #37 talking about the fundamentals of Real Estate, I found this section invaluable.
thanks for writting this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous Value, July 20 2005
This book was just what I have been looking for, it was written in easy to understand terms, and the information was top notch.. I am just in the process of reading it through for the second time, there is too much information to digest on just one sitting. The information talked about how to submitt my offers and How to get the bank to say yes was 'over the top'

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Real Estate Investing in Canada: Creating Wealth with the ACRE System
Real Estate Investing in Canada: Creating Wealth with the ACRE System by Don R. Campbell (Hardcover - Jan. 16 2009)
CDN$ 36.95 CDN$ 23.16