5.0 out of 5 stars Griffintown!
I grew up in Montréal on rue Jeanne Mance. I had friends in Griffintown and Goose Village and "The Point." As a boy I boxed a little there in a boys club sometimes.

Published on May 18 2011 by John A G

3.0 out of 5 stars Irish Mafia
Too much of the who shot who and when, expected to read more about the overall operations, and less about the minutia of the details.
Actually I found it boring at times. Unless you are from the west end of Montreal it is of little interest.
Published 11 months ago by Paul Phaneuf

5.0 out of 5 stars Griffintown!, May 18 2011
This review is from: Montreal's Irish Mafia: The True Story of the Infamous West End Gang (Paperback)

Thankfully, I never did become one of the 'bad' guys but I did know one of the people in the book who was a very 'Bad Guy' and wound up dead stuffed in the back of his car as D'Arcy O'connor says. I 'knew' that guy because he became my next door neighbour on the south shore before he was murdered.

Matter of fact the QPF hauled me in to talk a bit about that neighbour who they kept arresting because I got in his face for killing my family dog.They told me who he was and to stop 'bothering' him. LOL Bizarre is all I can say about mobsters and O'Connor certainly displays every facet of that life.

The book is very well written, brought me some memories, and my friend John Westlake told me to buy that book and I'm not sorry I did that.

It is an extremely interesting and factual story that didn't take me long to read because it is that interesting I couldn't put it down.

John

5.0 out of 5 stars Montreal's Irish Mafia by Darcy O'connor Delivers a Detailed and Exciting Account of Organized Crime in the West End, May 4 2011
It's a rare thing as a reader to find a book which grips you in such a way that you can't help but consume it in two or three sittings. Montreal's Irish Mafia by Darcy O'connor with Miranda O'connor is indeed such a work. In his latest book Mr. O'connor has captured a piece of Montreal history which up until now has yet to be fully explored. Whether you're from Montreal or not, you will surely enjoy this book as it transports you deeper and deeper into an exciting and seedy underworld of bank robbers and gang bosses. You will learn how some of the biggest bank heists in North America were planned and executed and how at one time Montreal gangs were some of the biggest players in the trading of illicit drugs. Packed full of larger than life characters who survive by their wits, characters who pull off "bank jobs" by helicopter and live by their own criminal code, Montreal's Irish Mafia is a must read!

NKE

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly good book, April 2 2014
Denis L. Pedneault "Avid Reader 217" (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
A fairly good book. Author gets the grittiness across and the intensity of the era. The timeframe in Montreal was that of a rough city. Made New York seem idyllic.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read for NDG residents, Oct. 23 2013
obdcanada (Brantford, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
an interesting read for a former NDG guy like myself. The places and names are familar. It has a bit of a narrative but it is mostly a bunch of short stories.

3.0 out of 5 stars Irish Mafia, Oct. 21 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars good research, Sept. 30 2013
not a bad book - more like a series of magazine articles - not really a connected story line but then it would have been hard to get a whole book out of any of the smaller story lines about several non-connected individuals.
good research - however he could have put a little more work into the wording of many sentences - too many well worn phrases approaching cliches at times - more work into varied wording and descriptive phrases would improve this book.
also I guess you lose the pics in the Kindle version - the sketches in Kindle don't cut it - one drawback I guess of on-line reading - not a comment on the author

4.0 out of 5 stars Montreal's Irish Mafia, Aug. 11 2013
I found that Mr. O'Connor, chronologically set this book up well. I enjoyed the read and know first hand the affects organized crime has on it's victims. I disagree with the glorification of these types of gangs because it tends to encourage future generations of criminals, They tend to ride on the coattails of persons who are guilty of a lot more crimes than those expressed in the book. They got away with a lot, these crimes are not victimless.
The book cover of "mafia mugs" was good and the writing I found was authentic to the nature of the book. I was not happy with the pics and would have liked to see actual pictures. Mr. O'Conner had some names but there were a lot of names left out. It was a good read and the price to read the book was worth it to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Cool, July 2 2013
I was able to learn alot of interesting things by reading this book. And living in Montreal all my life it was cool to find out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slice of history, June 7 2011
Andrea Rudolph "andrya" (Montreal, QC CANADA) - See all my reviews
Growing up in the general area of lower NDG... this book brought some things together insofar as names I heard around growing up and about a slice of history of my home in general, especially where both my Italian side and my Irish side's are concerned; with my Grandpa and family coming from areas named in this book.

It is also interesting to see where certain big business chains started out and how it would appear are still managing in today's times. A reality check, maybe.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, Sept. 29 2014
couldn't get into it

Montreal's Irish Mafia: The True Story of the Infamous West End Gang
Montreal's Irish Mafia: The True Story of the Infamous West End Gang by D'Arcy O'Connor (Paperback - March 28 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 112.18