5.0 out of 5 stars It made money for me.
I'm shell scripting pretty good. But I had to write a script for a customer to extract some drive statistics and another to hide some passwords from a log that I had no control over... I was kinda shaking over it.
Published on Aug. 12 2003 by Oracle DBA

3.0 out of 5 stars Exclusively KORN shell
If you are interested in Bourne or Bash shell programming, be aware that this book focuses exclusively on the Korn shell (ksh or "ksh93"). The Korn shell is a superset of the Bourne shell, but if you want to write scripts for sh (Bourne) or bash, another book might be more appropriate.
Published on Oct. 15 2003 by Stephen Doonan

3.0 out of 5 stars Exclusively KORN shell, Oct. 15 2003
Stephen Doonan (Portales, NM United States) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars The best in the shelf, June 1 2004
Sanjoy Basu (Northglenn, CO United States) - See all my reviews
Mastering UNIX Shell Scripting is a must for all Unix Administrator. The beauty of this book is it teaches shell script with practical examples which are required in day to day life of a System Admin. Unlike many shell scripting book it just not talks about syntax but also explains whats happening behind the curtain.
Inspite of all praises the reason for giving 4 stars is due to the fact that its not meant for beginners. For serious shell script writers this book deserve 5 star rating

4.0 out of 5 stars This book rocks!!!, March 5 2004
We wanted to automate a couple of tasks at the Unix level.
So I went looking for a Unix Shell script book. This books covers learning by doing. Real Life examples can be used and are not of the "Hello World" type. By covering on skill at a time and building on the previous skill you can learn how to shell script quickly

5.0 out of 5 stars It made money for me., Aug. 12 2003
However, this is a moderate to advanced book which showed me how to find what I was looking for. There aren't that many advanced books on shell scripting. It has many good real world examples. Two guys from my office bought their own. And best of all... It made me money!! Yes, It's worth your time and your money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for advance user not for beginners, July 23 2003
firebird "the_haawk" (Irving, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This is not a greatest book for learning Shell Scripting. This book does not cover regular expressions in detail even though regular expression is the heart to learning shell scripting. It could be a good book for users already familiar with Shell scripting and want to learn advance techniques in administering their application or the UNIX system. I will definitely not recommend this for users that are looking to learn and understand Shell scripting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Helpful Trouble Shooter, Feb. 10 2003
By A Customer
My UNIX has been acting up, and let me tell you, the shell scripts in this book have gone a long way in helping me meet that challenge.