4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and challenging!
Published on Aug. 15 2011 by Beverly A. Sesink

3.0 out of 5 stars pointing the way
Published on Jan. 7 2010 by Daniel Sheffield

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and challenging!, Aug. 15 2011
Beverly A. Sesink (Edmonton, CANADA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tangible Kingdom: Creating Incarnational Community (Hardcover)
I found this book a difficult read, not because it was hard to understand, but difficult, because it spoke so much of how I and many others struggle with how we "do" church. It seems we make so little difference in our community, neighborhoods, etc. And yet while this book acknowledges some pretty serious concerns about the North American church, it doesn't do a slam dunk, but rather gently, but firmly, makes us aware that indeed all is not well. For those who are willing to consider the tough road of "doing" church the way it was modeled for us in the early church, this can give some solid encouragement and hope in the midst of the situation we face as church in the West.

3.0 out of 5 stars pointing the way, Jan. 7 2010
Daniel Sheffield (Hamilton, Canada) - See all my reviews
great book outlining principles and practices of a missional community, with real life illustrations from a community that is experimenting and sharing their findings. Written for American disaffected evangelicals who are looking for a new ways of being salt & light. So a lot of contextual application stuff has to be re-thought for Canadian neighbourhoods, but very helpful for gleaners like me.

2.0 out of 5 stars not eminently practical, nor soundly theoretical, April 26 2014
Though the author would probably like this, I find him a little too 'devil-may-care' about life, faith, and church. Seems like a legitimately caring and gregarious individual, but probably not the best spokesman for the 'missional' thesis. There are some good anecdotes and a few nuggets of insight on some broken ways of thinking/doing within the church. Read it to accompany the Tangible Kingdom Primer, but I would have been better without the book. If you are remotely skeptical or cautious about diving head first into new things, this book will probably only feed your suspicions. I'm still so convinced that many Christians need to change their ways of thinking/doing, but not because of this particular book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to missional incarncational spirituality, Dec 22 2013
Bought as a course text and it is well written in modern, easy to read language by a guy who is a church planting pastor (Hugh) and his partner in this work (Matt). I don't personally agree with the approach so while it is useful and has some good parts it is not something I see myself doing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, July 26 2014
A book about real people doing real life... and real church. Really well. Great read!

The Tangible Kingdom: Creating Incarnational Community
The Tangible Kingdom: Creating Incarnational Community by Matt Smay (Hardcover - April 14 2008)
CDN$ 29.99 CDN$ 18.80