5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended reading for new age training
Published on March 20 2009 by John Herman

3.0 out of 5 stars too much ideology
Published on Nov. 4 2011 by Maureen H

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended reading for new age training, March 20 2009
John Herman (Saskatoon, Sask. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Power of Positive Dog Training (Paperback)
I had to send this review as this book, to me, should be at least a first book on training your dog. Yes it is what I call the new age of dog training using a clicker and food as treats and a reward. I have trained two dogs using the old methods of choker chains, but after reading the authors references, I see and confirm behaviors resulting from this method. I just adopted a four month old mixed breed from our local SPCA ( folks please don't write these dogs off as having poor training abilities) and here are my comments. It has taken me less then three days to teach this dog to sit, lay down, HOUSE TRAIN, and shake a paw! More importantly, all books usually will advise a pen to teach your dog about house training and securing your home if away ( this works by the way).

Have you ever tried to put a dog in kennel? If you have succeeded without a battle, the dog must have lived in one, because this was the hardest thing I have ever tried in the past. However, it took me no time using the treats as a reward and the clicker. On the second night he beat me to the kennel! For experienced dog trainers this would appear likely to be no big deal. This is why I recommend this book, because too many of the books you read forget that most of us are just learning a method to deal with and train our dogs whether pure breeds or muts. The begining chapters explain how your dog learns, your body language, the dogs language, and how they effect your training methods. To me this was worth the price of the book by itself. And for all dogs not just registered breeds.

I recommend this book as the most informative book on training methods that I have found at least. I suspect that those who issue a poorer raing are those that have had years and knowledge in training and forget about the beginers. So, some of the information as I have shown above, would be so what! I can do these things in minutes as well, but remember most people buying these types of books are first timers. Some don't have access to training courses or perhaps the money. They need the basics to understand how to accomplish there goal which is usually just for living in peace with their dog not trying to win awards at dog shows, although the author goes into the higher levels if that's your goal.

If you are new to training, why clicker training is so effecive, you couldn't buy a better book, that's my opinion and thanks for reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my new favorites, March 8 2014
Business Manager - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Power of Positive Dog Training (Paperback)
I was looking for books on dog training and I was drawn to the title of this one. It is well named. Miller's approach is kind, calm, gentle and intuitive. She likes dogs and they like her. She has great photos in her books, including in this one. She explains her methods clearly and simply and does not demand that you stick out your chest and intimidate your dog by your alpha presence. Rather, she uses methods that both the dog and the owner can enjoy. There are boundaries, but you decide what they will be. If you want your dog on your bed, go for it. She addresses how to enjoy their company without having them take over your sleeping space and without having to "crate" them at night. The methods fit in well with my personality, as I like peace and harmony, and like to get cooperation without resorting to one-upmanship as some other books insist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Jan. 29 2012
This review is from: The Power of Positive Dog Training (Paperback)
A great read. It really teaches you a positive approach to dog training,a nd the response you get from your pooch is astounding. It will help you build love and trust with your loved one.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, June 1 2014
This review is from: The Power of Positive Dog Training (Paperback)
I read the original version when we got our first Belgian sheep dog 9 years ago. I found it a very helpful tool in training. We have a great dog and a perfect gentleman, Thanks to many useful tips in this book We are planning on a second Belgian in the near future I want to read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best so far!, May 6 2014
Annette (Brossard, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Power of Positive Dog Training (Paperback)
It really helped us to understand better our little pumpkin Micaela. I spendt a lot of money in trainers but nobody was able to bring me the approach I got from reading this book. Totally recommend this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars helpful, July 30 2013
This review is from: The Power of Positive Dog Training (Paperback)
helped to understand why a dog behaves as it does. The best methods to accomplish the task. Explains positive training very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good training book, Jan. 5 2013
This review is from: The Power of Positive Dog Training (Paperback)
I find it helpful.Very clear in explainations and good pictures .Many chapters on training from a puppy and much more .

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, Oct. 2 2011
This review is from: The Power of Positive Dog Training (Paperback)
I got this book a few weeks ago, and I am about to finish it. I bought it mainly cause I wanted to know how to handle some of the dogs that I walk on the SPCA. I love this book, its very positive in every way, it teaches how to use the clicker as well how to teach your dog so many tricks. I love the way on every trick the dog has a different name according to the trick the dog is about to learn, which makes it very cute. I recommend it a lot experience dog owners as well newly dog owners. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars too much ideology, Nov. 4 2011
This review is from: The Power of Positive Dog Training (Paperback)
Although there is a lot of useful information in this book and I've used it with my own dogs with good results, I was irritated by the ideological tone throughout. All other methods were decried as being "fear based, compulsion based, old fashioned" and so on.As the author states several times, sometimes it's necessary to use other methods to get a result, but after having said that she almost invariably mentions these methods in a negative way. One example was the dog who harassed horses. After working for what appeared to be quite a long time with poor results from the "positive" method, a cap gun was used with success. Then the author felt bad that she had to use such a method, taking "advantage" of the dogs phobia of gun shots. Well, it worked and quickly, no fuss, and no trauma to dog or horses. When a method takes weeks and months to be effective, use another and forget the ideology. What I found very disturbing was the emphasis on "poor dog" and not "poor horses". What on earth were they doing taking such a dog off leash past the horses? I was a sheep farmer for many years, any strange dog harassing my stock would not have been given so many chances.

The Power of Positive Dog Training
The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller (Paperback - April 1 2008)
CDN$ 22.50 CDN$ 16.43