4.0 out of 5 stars Better than any tutorial DVD.
As mentioned elsewhere, I am in the process of converting from film to digital photography and there are certain aspects which I have found quite daunting. Altogether, I have purchased several books and tutorial DVDs on the subject as that process of conversion continues and this product is one of the best.

Having already worked my way through this particular...
Published on Dec 26 2008 by Ned Middleton

1.0 out of 5 stars I would not buy this book ...
Published on Jan. 24 2011 by John D. Hale

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than any tutorial DVD., Dec 26 2008
Ned Middleton (British professional underwater photo-journalist & author) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nikon D300 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)

Having already worked my way through this particular title (with camera in hand) I found this book was able to provide instruction which was far superior to any of the tutorials I had also studied. Basically, if you are new to the Nikon D300, this book will provide an excellent grounding.

Beginning with an introduction to the camera, the book is then carefully laid out in the best possible way where the author meticulously builds on the information imparted so far until the structure of the book is complete. Part 1 contains an explanation of the many and varied facets of this outstanding camera and are far too numerous to list here. Part 2 then expands on this knowledge by giving examples of how to create great images and includes a chapter on working with light and other aspects of the art.

Altogether a complete product for the complete photographer.

NM

5.0 out of 5 stars Basics a neophyte can work with, Jan. 25 2010
Federico (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D300 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
A Nikon SLR can be an intimidating thing to deal with. Basically, the camera is a computer. Its buttons and menus are commands you can give your Nikon "computer". This book lets you appropriate your Nikon D300 in simple, short descriptions. You don't have to read everything; just pick and choose as you go. Abundantly illustrated , well written and logically edited, the book uses layman's terms to describe the camera's functions, buttons, bells and whistles. It suggest useful settings to start with. Plus, it gives you an introduction to SLR photography. All this in a book that doesn't weigh much more than the camera itself. Wow. Useful.

1.0 out of 5 stars I would not buy this book ..., Jan. 24 2011
John D. Hale (Kentville, Nova Scotia, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D300 Digital Field Guide (Paperback)
I am in the market for a good manual about the D 300, since I possess this excellent camera, and am interested in reading an expert expansion on the Nikon manual. This reviewer, however, is not for me. As soon as I read that the camera 'is a predecessor to the D 200' (when it is clearly a 'successor') I lost interest. Furthermore, just reading the extracts provided gives me the impression that the work is little more than a pull-together of previous reviews plus re-worded extracts from the manual. The Nikon Manual may be rather dense reading, but all the information is present. If this attempt at 'improving' it is the best that can be accomplished, I'll stay with the Manual, thanks. J.D. Hale.

ARRAY(0xb1123414)

Nikon D300 Digital Field Guide
Nikon D300 Digital Field Guide by J. Dennis Thomas (Paperback - May 12 2008)
CDN$ 23.99 CDN$ 17.51
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available