5.0 out of 5 stars Next Job is to go and Book the Plane Tickets!
I have yet to visit New Zealand, though it is high on my list of intentions. Certainly, having read through this guide it has moved to somewhere near the top. The editors have made a huge effort to approach New Zealand from every direction so that whatever your interests and whatever the time scale you are working to, they have covered it.

The first couple of...
Published 13 months ago by Brett H

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't Depend On This Information Alone!
Published on Oct. 11 2000 by Debby Ramsey

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't Depend On This Information Alone!, Oct. 11 2000
This review is from: New Zealand (Paperback)
This book touts itself as being the most comprehensive up-to-date with exact information and prices. Not so! It may have been published this year but we found many of the places reviewed had closed, moved or were renamed & under new management. Several other places of interest to travelers were totally ignored: for example, the coverage of the botanical gardens in Christchurch fails to give any information at all about the Carter Observatory located there. And don't think that all those "free" museums are really without cost! Several had suggested "donations" posted at their turnstile entrances that would take a lot more chutzpah than I possess to bypass without paying. Frommer's idea of moderately priced facilities would give most travelers a heart attack and the restaurants reviewed are hit or miss. For example the highly praised Saugero Mexican Restaurant in Queenstown puts broccoli and carrots in their chicken burritos which is only to be discovered after a shocking first bite; neither the menu nor the guidebook gives warning to these unusual ingrediants. Do yourself a favor and consult several guidebooks to give yourself more options and always trust the locals over anything your travel books may say.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but too high-end oriented, Feb. 15 2011
This review is from: Frommer's New Zealand (Paperback)
For the areas, attractions, restaurants and sights covered I found this guide spot on. The problems are 1) it doesn't cover smaller towns which is helpful when you are driving just to know where it might be useful to stop, get lunch, etc 2)the accommodations really focus on high-end places. I have used many other Frommers and moderate is usually around $100-200, but here it was much more. I found myself wishing I had another guide for accomodations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Next Job is to go and Book the Plane Tickets!, June 14 2013
Brett H "pentangle" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (#1 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Frommer's New Zealand (Paperback)

The first couple of chapters are general rather than area specific and cover various 'Best of' and Favorite lists such as the Best Beaches, My Favorite Boutique Hotels, The Best of New Zealand outdoors and then general itineraries - the wine lovers tour particularly appealed to me! I guess the purpose of these sections is best viewed as being to whet your appetite. Well worth skimming through as if anything looks particularly interesting to you it may direct you to an area you would not otherwise visit.

There are then eleven sections which are area specific. There is a lot of emphasis on what is a suitable itinerary given a limited time period. Eg The Bay of Islands in 3 Days or Northland in a week. In this way you are constantly being directed towards what the editors consider are the highlights. A feature of this book is that it comes at any given area from multiple directions. For example in the case of Auckland we have Auckland with Kids, Auckland in One Day, Auckland in Two Days, Favorite Moments in Auckland, Auckland Art and Architecture, Auckland Shopping, Restaurants, etc etc.

There is a removeable map in a pouch at the back of the book. I suspect this is not large enough scale to be of practical use and will be no substitute for a proper map if you are on a fly drive tour. However, there are plenty of area maps in the text which show places of interest. The general standard of production is quite high, with plenty of colour printing throughout. I have to say this is not always the case with such guides where publishers seem to take a delight in saving a few pennies on printing.

Towards the end there are some general advice sections covering history and culture, special interest trips and essential information on planning a tour and getting around. The index appears comprehensive. My impression is that this is a very useful book. If, as in my case, you have not previously visited New Zealand, you would do best to start by scanning through the whole book and making a note of what appeals to you. Plan your itinerary according to your wish list and then read through those areas in detail and firm up the details. That's what we will be doing later this year hopefully!

5.0 out of 5 stars Frommer's New Zealand, May 10 2002
This review is from: New Zealand (Paperback)
As a first time vistor to New Zealand, I found this book to be extremely helpful. It provided an informative overview of the country, and the various recommendations for accommodations and travel services were, for me, very reliable. I used it constantly both before and during the trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frommer's New Zealand, March 24 2002
This review is from: New Zealand (Paperback)
This guide is an excellent introduction to New Zealand for the first-time traveler. The organization is helpful and the area details are of great value in planning self-guided itineraries.
We were able to focus our two weeks in the country on areas of particular interest because of this guidance.

4.0 out of 5 stars New Zealand is a wonderful country for tourists, Jan. 13 2002
hungry traveller (Hoing Kong, China) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New Zealand (Paperback)
I found the criticisms on Frommer's NZ mostly incorrect. At least, I did not have the same experience as the two critics. I consider this book reliable. Actually, certain information in the book closely assembles those on the leaflets found at the tourist information centers. Tourists can find many helpful facilities in NZ and anyone can have a pleasant trip in NZ without a guide book. However, the valuable parts of this book came from the writer. Adrienne is a New Zealander. I trusted the ratings, followed the recommendations, suggested itineraries ... and had a wonderful experience in NZ.

1.0 out of 5 stars Highly avoidable, Jan. 23 2001
This review is from: New Zealand (Paperback)
It is a completely unreliable book. Two of the most highly rated places (* places) turned out to be total fiascos. They rated a place- a luxury upscale B&B 'The Dairy' in Queenstown as highly recommended. It was expensive by NZ standards and turned out to be worse than any cheap motel I have stayed in USA. The restaurant recommendations were similarly unreliable. In fact the only two really unpleasant experiences we had in the whole trip were based on the sole recommendations of this guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kiwiland is the best, July 8 2000
This review is from: New Zealand (Paperback)
I have not traveled to New Zealand for almost 5 years, so I was looking for a book to update me on where to go and what to do. Also, I plan to drive for the first time in that country. Frommers really gives me lots of things to do and see. Thanks, Frommers! P.S.I love your books no matter where I travel!

Frommer's New Zealand
Frommer's New Zealand by Adrienne Rewi (Paperback - Feb. 15 2010)
CDN$ 27.99 CDN$ 22.39