5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Pocket Guide
Published on Sept. 18 2010 by Reflection Haiku

3.0 out of 5 stars Average travel guide for the newbie
I used this book during a week's stay on Oahu. Since it was my vist time visiting Hawaii, this book was adequate. It did not go into details on any one thing, which may be a weakness. The maps ware small. They seem best suited for walking tours, certainly not for driving purposes. Some of the data such as phone numbers or hours of business was outdated.
As I...
Published on Sept. 12 2003 by Gorito

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Pocket Guide, Sept. 18 2010
Reflection Haiku "Lily Wang, Author" (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frommer's Honolulu, Waikiki and Oahu (Paperback)
Our family just returned from our dream vacation in Oahu and this book has everything to do with it! Before we embarked on our one week trip, I consulted several books on Honolulu, Waikiki and Oahu and decided to take Frommer's Complete with us because it offered an ideal itinerary "Oahu in 7 days" (there are alternative recommended travel plans for 2 weeks and one month as well). The writing is highly effective and reader-friendly. We followed the book's travel plan faithfully - from Waikiki beach sunset to Pearl Harbor; from North shore Polynesian HA cultural night to East shore Hanauma snorkeling; from Dole pineapple plantation to Bishop's Museum; from Volcano eruption Show to Diamond Head hike... There are so much to see & do in Oahu and this book truly helped us make the best use of our time while we were in this tropical paradise.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average travel guide for the newbie, Sept. 12 2003
Gorito (New Jersey, United States) - See all my reviews
As I said, it was my first visit. My friends helped me see much more of Oahu than I would have been exposed to had I just followed the book. I don't think I would use this book on a return trip to Hawaii.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sadly lacking & repetitive, but a nice overview, June 16 2003
No one you know (Phoenix, Arizona) - See all my reviews
I am planning on returning to Hawaii for the first time in almost 15 years next year, and wanted to refamiliarize myself with Oahu and see what had changed. Most travel books cover the entire state, so I figured a book geared just towards Oahu would eliminate alot of superfluous info for me and it did. But I was really surprised and disappointed at how little the book had to offer me. I think a first time traveler might get a lot of use from this book because it does provide a very nice overview of highlights for the first timer.
But, although I did find out some info that was of use to me, I was surprised by how much was glossed over if mentioned at all, especially since many shopping areas and beaches were mentioned, in detail in several sections of the book. With better organization the book could have contained a great deal more info in the same space. I was also surprised at how many restaurants, accomodations, and shopping places were missing (IE: There was absolutely NO mention of the International Marketplace, although it does appear on a Waikiki map) . I realize there isn't room for all of it, but I came away not trusting a book that seemed a little more biased than a guidebook should be.
I found the informational parts, especially about the language very interesting and well written.
Overall the book is average and has some very useful details and info, but if you really want to be well informed before you go, don't rely solely on this, you'll shortchange yourself if you do.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but there are better books available, Oct. 30 2002
Scott Gordon "BYU & Dodger fan" (Pleasant Grove, UT United States) - See all my reviews
We've used Frommer's books before, and enjoyed them, but found this book sadly lacking. It does help you pick out the highlights to budget your time, but too many other travel books exist that are simply better. We also found the maps sadly lacking when driving around the island, and at times were completely incorrect. Some information is out of date (hours of operation, prices), but no book is perfect in that regard.
We did greatly enjoy the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook: Kauai Revealed book we used on the same trip. Unfortunately, this publisher does not offer a book on Oahu.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for Honolulu Waikiki area, Aug. 4 2002
By A Customer
We used this book extensively when we were visiting Waikiki. This book is very easy to read and includes pretty much everything you need to know about the area. Accommodations and Dining sections could have been better but overall this is the book you need to take with you if you are going there. We also had "Hidden Oahu" with us but ended up using this book a lot more than "hidden Oahu". If you get this book you won't be dissapointed.

Frommer's Honolulu, Waikiki and Oahu
Frommer's Honolulu, Waikiki and Oahu by Jeanette Foster (Paperback - Nov. 23 2009)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 17.59