5.0 out of 5 stars very nice cookbook
The tabs are useful for finding receipies quickly and having the pages in a binder makes it easy to lay the book open while cooking.
Published on Jan. 3 2011 by LisaCate31

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Disappointed; The Net Has Better Recipes
Published 13 months ago by Iz

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice cookbook, Jan. 3 2011
This review is from: Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book (Ring-bound)

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Disappointed; The Net Has Better Recipes, June 28 2013
This review is from: Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book (Ring-bound)
First, the binder came with one section simply loose, and another section caught on the rings at, but not necessarily in, the top two holes. Sloppy. But the recipes! I was truly shocked at how many main dishes rely on Mexican-inspired hot peppers, or Cajun spice, or other hotly or strongly flavoured add-ins, and how many more are tomato-and-basil/tarragon Italian-based knock-offs. There's only one French recipe so far as I can tell: coq au vin. Some things are simply delicious in and of themselves, should be left alone; garlic isn`t always needed, and garlic powder is noisome. The book is also dismally low on real cooking tips, like not frying your garlic with your onion, because the garlic will burn before the onion cooks through, and a jar of chopped garlic in oil does just fine, added when the main part of the recipe is put together (but be sure you precook your onion before you put it in the meatloaf or hamburger patty, because it won't cook through just in the oven or on the grill); or that you don't have to precook whatever pasta you're using for lasagne, just start with a layer of loose pasta like penne rigate (my fave), covered with sauce, going on to layers of veggies, meat if wanted, mozzarella, and feta or cottage cheese in the middle, and repeat: it works, and it`s so much easier than precooking the lasagne sheets and cutting them to size -- ugh -- that if you haven`t entered a Premier Chef competition but are only cooking for your family, it`s an easier way to make a delicious crowd-pleaser, and you owe it to yourself to try it. You know, if a cookbook tells you to mask the flavour of beef tenderloin with Italian seasoning mixes or Montreal steak rubs (as this one does regarding sandwiches), it's doing you a disservice. That is the tenderest and most delicately flavoured cut of beef and your taste buds aren't going to know what it truly tastes like. (It shows that I know what I'm doing in the kitchen, doesn't it? I`m not trying to be a know-it-all or show-off, but I`ve got roughly fifty years of experience in cookery.) I was hoping for a book with more handy tips and ideas for casseroles beyond tuna-noodle bakes to please my new roommate, and some classic recipes -- which must include French cooking! -- and I can't express my unhappiness with this book. Please don't give it to your youngsters. They'll never learn the best techniques in a working kitchen, and their food tastes will be skewed to the harshly-flavoured side of gastronomy. Really, I mean this sincerely. As for myself, I`m going back to surfing for new ideas. Sometimes you can combine one cook`s bright idea with another`s to make a new, better food than any of the three of you came up with on your own.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrid. Not a Cook Book, Dec 4 2013
Harlee Scott (Ontario,Canada) - See all my reviews
My earlier copy of this book was so good, my ex-husband refused to part with it. I purchased this as a replacement and was disappointed to find that this is no longer a cook book. Feeling hungry, I rushed to find their delicious meat ball recipe. Instead I found cranberry-bbq meatballs, first ingredient... 2 16oz packages frozen meatballs. The delicious Key Lime pie has been replaced with a 'Whipped Key Lime Pie' where you add lime juice/peel to condensed milk and put it on a graham crust. Sooooo disappointing. If you would like variations for the cardboard instructions written on the side of whatever convenience food you're about to eat... do a google search. If you want to cook... get ANY. OTHER. BOOK.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN excellent book for beginners or anyone else who likes to cook, Oct. 3 2013
This book has been around for a long time...that says how good it is.Bought it for my niece because I have on myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent cookbook, May 8 2013
We have been trying to purchase books to send with my daughters when they move out, and this cookbook looked like it fit the bill. The spiral spine is great in the kitchen. This book has many pictures of recipes, in depth descriptions and definitions of cooking and baking terms, cuts of meat, and general kitchen terminology. The recipes aren't as great tasting as we hoped.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs reinforced holes on pages, April 2 2013
This review is from: Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book (Ring-bound)
Content is fine. I've always had a BH&G cookbook, and we even had the three-ringed one as a kid, so I'm familiar with the recipes and like that they've been updated and modernized somewhat. Now I suggest that you buy a few packages of those three-hole reinforcers if you buy this binder, as it's really easy to tear the pages out while using it. I used to have the paperback in college, and that was hard to keep open while using it, but way more durable than this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect!, Feb. 23 2013
this cook book is awesome...the pictures make me want to try and make just about everything in it...easy to follow directions and suggestions for us 'non cooks' ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, Jan. 30 2013
This review is from: Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book (Ring-bound)
Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, I bought this for my daughter. She had one before but it was stolen so I replaced it for her.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any kitchen!, Jan. 21 2013
I gave this cookbook to each of my Granddaughters who are starting to cook for themselves. I gave one to each of my sons. It was my first cookbook; a great "how-to" for beginners. I would have been lost without it. This cookbook graces more kitchens than any other!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cooking resource, Jan. 2 2013
This review is from: Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book (Ring-bound)
I have used this cookbook for many years and bought the lastest edition as a Christmas gift for someone special.

Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book
Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes & Gardens (Ring-bound - Aug. 6 2010)
Used & New from: CDN$ 11.12