4.0 out of 5 stars An explanation of how memory works, June 22 2014
This book goes into many examples of how our memory works and how to consider the traditional learning practice and how they are impacted by memory. It is written in fairly basic terms that are easy to understand - as a teacher, I found it was a quick read that reviewed most of what I already knew. Nothing earth shadering - but important to remember as a teacher to engage students as effectively as possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must have book for anyone interested in education, July 27 2012
Daniel Willingham addresses several key questions regarding the validity of the educational experience. This book is an easy to read, yet academically sound, examination of current trends in education that dispels many common understandings about subjects like multiple intelligences and learning styles. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Practical Guide to Teaching, June 20 2009
Coach C (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I really enjoyed reading this book, Willingham is a Harvard trained psychologist but he avoids a lot of the jargon, spares us the psycho-babble, and instead provides practical pedagogy guidelines for us teachers on how to harness the potential cognition of our students.

I won't give them away, but as Willingham says himself, most of his conclusions and guidelines are more or less common knowledge, but the beauty of the book is in the way he is able to communicate it -- he does so in a very straightforward manner with good use of visuals. He uses good examples to illustrate his points.

Overall, I highly recommend this book for anyone studying educational psychology, or anyone in the K-12 teaching field.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for teachers, Jan. 8 2011
This review is from: Why Don't Students Like School: A Cognitive Scientist Answers Questions About How the Mind Works and What It Means for the Classroom (Paperback)
As an educator I find this book to be an extremely important for my own professional development and I would go so far as to say it should be required reading for all teachers. The contents of this book, however, are not just for educators. This book, written in easy to read layman's terms, is a fascinating read for anyone interested in the way the human brain works and the implications of that on our daily lives.