5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, easy, and enjoyable read.
This book covers all the fundamentals and systems my family has used over the last 9 years to accumulate a portfolio of over 50 properties. I was pleasantly surprised with the many gems of wisdom throughout this book. It's a resource I'll keep close at hand as we build our real estate portfolio.
Published on June 12 2005 by Brent Beagle

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating At Times and Incomplete
Published on Feb. 16 2006

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating At Times and Incomplete, Feb. 16 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Real Estate Investing in Canada: Creating Wealth with the ACRE System (Hardcover)
There is useful information between the covers of this book; unfortunately, most is buried within the context of conversations with the author, his friends and his "student". I did not like this style of writing at all and found it frustrating, at best; almost like reading a poorly written novel with truly inane dialog about skipping stones across a lake and farming, two give just two examples. If you can get by this (and it is clear most previous reviewers have), the information available is useful, but still incomplete.
For instance, the treatment of holding three investment properties when approaching lenders was informative. But since CMHC requires such large down payments on investment property, I would have liked to have read how we are expected to raise this capital. I would also like to have seen more on the fees and processes used by CMHC when investing in second or third properties.
Since there are also many differences between American tax law and real estate law and because we are inundated with so much of this American information, it would have been nice to see at least a chapter on these differences and how what we think may work in Canada won't, because of these differences.
Finally, buyers of this book gain access to the author's website. You should realize, however, that while there is some useful information there, its main purpose would seem geared to selling you a fairly expensive investing program. (I suspect this is how the author can finance his investments!)
This book is a good start, but the serious investor will need to consult other sources to gain a clearer picture of investing in Canadian real estate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware!!!!!!, March 3 2006
By A Customer
Be aware that this book is written buy the leader The Real Estate Investment Network (REIN), the real estate equivalent of Amway. Although a small amount of unique information is included in the book and on the Website, you must pay more money to get the "good" stuff. But Buyer Beware! Their motto is no hype and baloney but, in fact, that is what most of the Website is, hype about the product. It is the circle that feeds itself. The website insists you to go to the seminars, join the club, etc .... And then the seminar speakers encourage you buy the product, join the club in order to access the Website, which then tells you to go to more seminars... and so it goes. A big web of self promotion, with the leaders at the top getting extremely rich off of all the "would be" real estate investors.
I myself am a veteran RE Investor and have attended some of the REIN events. Although real estate investing is not difficult, it is not easy and not for everyone (as the author would have you beleive). It takes more then a dream of Belize and a desire to be rich. You need to have a passion for the business. It needs to excite you, be something that you want to do for many years. No one loves talking about real estate more then real estate investors. If you make a small effort to get to know a few you will learn all this information and more for free.
I am suspicious of some of the other reviwers as this auther has a very dedicated "flock" who I am sure have posted reviews here. It would make sense that they would give the book a good review even if it was awfull as this will encourage more people to come to the seminars and buy the products that are sold by the elite members.

3.0 out of 5 stars What's behind the curtain?, July 30 2006
P. Gravel (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
To use Don R Campbell's own words "What's behind the curtain?". This is the first book I have read about real estate investments and I did find it somewhat informative. It provides good common sense for researching properties, areas, negotiations. It did also provide allot of positive enthusiasm and confidence...a bit like a self help book would provide.

But the content seems superficial, there is no details on how to raise capital. ex: We get the impression Richard is flat broke yet he has the cash to buy an investment property!?!?!?! What is the minimum required capital required for investment property compared to personal property? How do we nogotiate with the real estate agent as compared to the seller, which I would assume would be the case most times.

Going to the asssociated web sight was the biggest disappointment. The first impression is buyer beware. Internet marketing at its most agressive. Leaves me wondering where did they actually make there money, on real estate or on selling the hype and other products?

Either way the book did have allot of good information to encourage me in studying more about Real Estate Investments. I would recommend to anybody who wants to consider this type of investment with a strong caution of "BEWARE - WHAT'S BEHIND THE CURTAIN"

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, easy, and enjoyable read., June 12 2005
Brent Beagle (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, May 29 2005
My portfolio includes various cash positive real estate properties as well as businesses. I found this book to be excellent information that I have already found useful. I recommend this book highly to anyone interested in real estate. I also recommend another book I just completed called Stop Working by Rohan Hall which focus on the entrepreneural side of things. Both books are excellent for anyone serious about wealth.

2.0 out of 5 stars I am not happy with this book, May 26 2010
Ehsan Ullah Rizwan "introguy" (Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
This is my first book on Real Estate Investing and I think this is not very good book on the topic. In first few chapters sound like Brian Tracy is giving his great personal development lecture in author's ineffective words. There is some useful information but personally I think that is very limited; I've find it poorly written with less information and more waste of time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of enthusiasm but not enough substance, July 7 2006
thatsimonguy (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Quite a bit of information is given in this book about real estate investing but as other customer reviewers have pointed out, there really isn't too much "Canadian specific" content, it's too vague. Out of the other 7 or 8 real estate books I've read, this one pretty much just summarizes them and puts a bit of Canadian flavour into it but does not hone in on specific points and precise differences.

A lot of the material is also hype and dreams (i.e., the personal Belize) to whet your appetite. Much of it is also hard to believe (like the single mother working a less-than-average-paying job who managed to buy 27 properties in the last 3 years).

Lots of points are covered and his checklists are quite useful but I don't think he goes into enough detail. Also, he refers to his website quite often (which hasn't been updated for 2 years now) and much of it requires registration for a small fee.

I wasn't too thrilled overall, 2 out of 5 stars at best. I'm currently reading "Making Money in Real Estate: The Canadian Guide to Investing in Residential Property" by Douglas Gray and it seems to be so much better already.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Straightforward Starting Point and Guide to Real Estate Investing, Oct. 20 2006
Jeeber (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
First off, I AM a member of the Real Estate Investment Network, I have read this book, and I return to this book quite often. I am NOT a member of a "cult" (as some reviewers "imply" and would like you to believe). This book lays the foundation for making real estate investing a long term wealth creation strategy.

Does this book provide a magic formula for building a Donald Trump-ish empire? No, and if that is what you are looking for, good luck! I believe what you are looking for is just down the road, and take your second right at the enchanted forest. Anyone who thinks they are going to "learn it all" in one book is destined for failure. What this book provides is a starting point for your real estate investing journey. Again, it lays the foundation and provides you with insights on what you need to know - and to further expand upon ON YOUR OWN - at the different stages of the investing process. It is NOT a get-rich-quick-scheme by any sense of the imagination.

Before you believe "reviews" - and that includes this one of mine - do your own due diligence; do not listen to pessimistic nay-sayers, and do not listen to adrenaline-pumping hype-sters. Get the facts, get all the information you need, and decide yourself. This book is not a bible; rather it is a "reference." Remember that, and you will do just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, July 24 2009
Matthew K. Mcleod (Victoria, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
If you're looking to get into real estate, in Canada in particular but the system could apply anywhere else as well, then this is the book to buy. It takes you through step by step on how to do everything you need to do in order to get started. He takes you through his system and it'll make real estate investing a whole lot safer and help you find the good deals.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for systematically investing in Real Estate, March 23 2012
This is a truly amazing piece of work. It helps you to invest in real estate not by luck or gambling but in a systematic way. Some of the guidelines in this book such as identifyIng a property gold mine and what lenders look for are great advice. I'm rerading parts to fully comprehend it and applying all of the advice.
It takes out all of the emotions and guess work from real estat investing and is practical to Canada.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Real Estate Investing in Canada: Creating Wealth with the ACRE System
Real Estate Investing in Canada: Creating Wealth with the ACRE System by Don R. Campbell (Hardcover - April 22 2005)
Used & New from: CDN$ 2.38