5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for moms to read..... dads should too!, Jan. 10 2007
This review is from: Breaking the Good Mom Myth: Every Mom's Modern Guide to Getting Past Perfection, Regaining Sanity, and Raising Great Kids (Paperback)
I was lucky enough to recieve this book for Christmas this year. As a Work at Home Mother in th 21st century, I feel the pressure as Alyson points out that parenting is a competitve pursuit and that were are obssessed with having our kids perform and if they don't or act up it's a reflection of you as a mother.

I love the chapter on self care and why it is so important to yourself, as a mother, wife, friend and person in general. Just becuase you became a mother, doesn't mean you should stop taking care of yourself. As a person who lost her mother while pregnant with her first child a few years ago, the importance of self care and being healthy rang loud and clear.

The other chapters are all great, with great examples, practical advice for moms and dad, including information on helping your marriage remain a good one and tips of you need help reconnecting with your partner.

A must read book for all parents!

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, Inspiring and Practical!, Feb. 26 2007
Fabulous! Alyson Schafer tackles the problem of perfectionist parenting with wit and wisdom. Her assesment of current parenting trends is insightful and challenging but she does more than just critique the current climate. She offers a clear and practical alternative to each of the problems she highlights. This book is very positive and although it challenges the reader to alter in their parenting, it does so in a non-condemning and very encouraging way. Just as she encorages parents to believe in their children and empower them to solve their life issues themselves, so too she empowers the parent to do likewise. I appreciated the balance she struck between critique and applicable suggestions. There is enough critique for the reader to understand the dilema but enough application to make the book truly worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars funny and informative, May 11 2014
Alyson's writing is just like seeing her talk in person. It is funny, full of real life examples, and offers some simple yet profound advice and strategies that are reasonable to accomplish on your own.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, May 27 2013
I Love this book ot takes all your doubts away especially if you dont have anyone else to ask how they do specific things,I love it

5.0 out of 5 stars What every stressed out mom should read, May 14 2013
I recommend this book for any parent - mom or dad - who may be into helicopter parenting of any kind. It's an easy read and it makes total sense. This book will save your sanity and make your ever-present guilt go away.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, Oct. 17 2012
This book is an excellent parenting book. It is very easy to read and full of good sense. It shows how the modern mothers are trapped in trying to be perfect and how seeking perfection can lead to a lot of frustrations and mistakes. It gives many good suggestions to bring peace in the family. Two of them were very useful to me: The first one was "Don't do what your kids can do" (example: picking up toys and so on), the second was to have a weekly family meeting to discuss rules and various decisions. These family meetings are a big success for us. My children feel important because they can take part in the decision making and everyone is enjoying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, April 23 2012
I found the book very insightful. At times I've fallen into the trap of being a "good mom" and this book was very helpful in regrounding me. I liked that it was written my my language and it didn't contain any overly large PhD words that I didn't understand and had to look up. There was humor within the book too. I plan to reread the book at some point and high light important points that I relate too. I also plan to read some of Alyson Schafers books in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars More Bookish Thoughts..., March 18 2012
Reader Writer Runner (Victoria, BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
In "Breaking the Good Mom Myth," Alyson Schafer reminds parents that we can successfully raise children without either perfection or selflessness. Though the first couple chapters feel "light" and difficult to take seriously, Schafer ultimately uses humour to both express respect for children and offer helpful advice on how to overcome parenting myths including "my marriage can wait." She even includes lists and tables to help manage sibling conflicts and to determine age-appropriate chores. The book inspires readers to balance their own needs with those of their children and partners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you up for a challange?, Nov. 14 2006
Marah (Richmond Hill Canada) - See all my reviews
Alyson challanges common paradigms held by many parents these days. You may be shocked to read how belief systems that many of us hold, can actually be harmful to you, your family or the development of your children as contributing members of society.

This book is an easy read, but hard to put down! Alyson uses humour in order to engage the reader. This book may inspire you to make positive changes in your parenting and how you approach your family life. It also contains helpful tips for spotting reasons for your child's misbehaviour and how to respond, as well as how to encourage your children. This book is a VERY ENGAGING READ for those parents up for the challange! I know you are.

I will be picking up copies for my friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars The most helpful book on parenting out there, March 17 2007
A. Browne (Mississauga, ON CANADA) - See all my reviews
The best gift I have ever given myself!

This book is really easy to read, full of practical information, and has helped me not only loose most of my big worries but also most of my guilt. She preaches the importance of encouragement and practices it in this book. I just finished reading it and I finally know that parenting doesn't have to be a crisis. I have the tools and ideas now to move forward with confidence. Buy this book for yourself and all your friends (be they mom's or dad's).