4.0 out of 5 stars Complicated Delicacies!
Delicious recipes with loooong lists of ingredients. Not for a spontaneous cook: you need to carefully plan which recipe you're going to cook, do all the shopping required for that recipe in advance, and then block off some time to carefully craft your selected dish.

E.g. "Simple Rice Bowl"

-4 cups cooked brown basmati rice (see p. 3 for...
Published on Sept. 24 2008 by Joanna

3.0 out of 5 stars It's complicated but food is delicious
Published on Dec 18 2011 by huffam

4.0 out of 5 stars Complicated Delicacies!, Sept. 24 2008
Joanna (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: reFresh: Contemporary Vegan Recipes From the Award Winning Fresh Restaurants (Paperback)

E.g. "Simple Rice Bowl"

-4 cups cooked brown basmati rice (see p. 3 for instructions on cooking rice)
-1 batch Tahini Sauce (see p.98 for instructions on preparing the Tahini Sauce: 6 additional ingredients + food processor)
-8 tsp tamari
-2 carrots, grated
-1 bunch parsley, chopped
-1 lemon, cut in wedges
And, it is typically served topped with Marinated Tofu (see p. 90) or Marinated Tempeh (see p.89).

And this is the SIMPLE Rice Bowl :-)

For whatever it's worth, I made it, and it was absolutely delicious, but very labour intense... ideal for a restaurant, but a little impractical for a weeknight supper at home :-)

Having said that, the dishes really are delicious, and worth the planning and the effort. The book itself is beautiful: glossy paper, a ton of gorgeous colored pictures...

As to the juice recipes in the second part of the book: they're surprisingly tasty and easy to make.

5.0 out of 5 stars YUM!, March 31 2009
Julie Kaden - See all my reviews
You wouldn't even know it's vegetarian & vegan. These recipes are so filling and satisfying and hit all the major food groups in most meals. It's nice to taste real flavours and not processed msg crap that most of us are used to!

While some recipes require a little work, it's WELL worth it. I love this restaurant but live far away and I can't wait to compare their versions to my homemade meals when I make it to the city next :) Fave recipes: Rocket Fuel Shake, Buddha Rice Bowl, Holiday Wrap, Crispy Tofu. yum yum yum!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative and insightful, Aug. 15 2008
M. Tan (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
The recipes here taste fantastic and you will find the ingredients usually in stock your regular grocer and if it isn't, you'll likely find it stocked plentifully at natural & health food stores such as Whole Foods. These dishes do taste wonderful with imaginative combinations and easy cooking instructions. One of the best thing about this book is the re-use of dishes. Say you made the Moroccan stew. Got left-overs? There's a roti recipe a few pages down that uses it for a filling. The same goes for many of the dressings. Use it for a salad and a sauce in a rice bowl or noodle dishes. For those of us who hate leftovers and eating the same thing twice in a row, this is the cure!

This book is also a two-part book. The second half is dedicated solely to juicing. I was able to pick a juicer (Breville Ikon) that I was super happy with based on the advice written. The recipes presented are unique combinations you won't find anywhere else. She skips the banana and strawberry only combos (even though they are great) combo because they are a stable in nearly any juice & smoothie book as filler. Only originals here! How about one with ginger, lemon, cucumber, apple and carrot? It wouldn't have been my first instinct but wow, it works. Iron Chef Susur Lee also contributed an all-red juice involving beets, raspberries and apples. Highly thoughtful and crafted. If you're a gym-nutsy and are bored of your regular protein mixes, recipes you'll love are in here too. The same goes for you coffee-aholics with espresso shakes including a healthier combination for those hooked on Starbucks Java Chip shake. Have trouble drinking wheatgrass? Ruth Tal has some knock-out combos for you. I had the Singing Grasshopper from the restaurant and was blown away how pleasant it was to drink it all. It has a soothing peppermint and now I can make it at home too.

I highly recommend this book and I'm sure you'll find a few recipes that you're willing to try. I am not a vegetarian and far from vegan, but I wanted to increase my vegetable intake and eat less meat. I didn't have a good repertoire of vegetarian dishes, but now with this book in my library, I'm happy to make a vegetarian meal any night accompanied by a fabulous juice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing!, Sept. 7 2011
Twin Mom (Stamford, CT) - See all my reviews
I don't often write reviews, but this cookbook is seriously incredible. Yes, most recipes do seem like a lot of work, especially with the various components (sauces, etc), HOWEVER, it is well worth the effort. I have three young children, and I find I still have time to make these dishes for weekday meals. My older girls enjoy helping me make the sauces in the morning, which are not complicated at all. Then at dinner time, I just cook rice & veggies, assemble, and dinner is ready. A lot of the sauces keep well, or are in large quantity, so I portion them out & freeze for future use. My favourite is the tahini sauce, which is great on just about anything, so I love having a jar of that in the fridge. I have yet to try a recipe in here that needed additional seasoning, modification, or that wasn't absolutely delicious. I am very picky about recipes & cookbooks in general, and as a gluten-free vegan (and former chef), this book exceeds all expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Jan. 24 2012
Terrific book. I visited one of the restaurants and many of menu items are in this book, despite it being their oldest book (new version of, that is). The recipes are fairly simple; in fact I'd even call them too simple. I have others, in a similar theme, that are only marginally more complicated and tastier, but I bought this book for the theme and to to build a base of experience in fresh vegan cooking (I'm not a vegan, but can't eat dairy and I'm trying to cut down on refined foods) and this book achieves that. Way too much juice content for my interest, but I knew that before I purchased. Heck, maybe I'll get a juicer.
What I like best is the way in which recipes build on one another. ie the Sauce section includes a handful of sauces that are used and built upon elsewhere in the book. Perhaps obvious for sauces, but also true for other sections. This makes it easy to use up left overs, and aids in recipe cross-pollination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oustanding!, Jan. 4 2009
Jay (Buffalo, NY) - See all my reviews
I really enjoy the recipes in this book and cannot wait for my next visit to Toronto to eat at Fresh. The veggie burger recipe alone is worth the price of the book, IMO. The marinated tofu (done on a George Foreman grill at my house) is also a winner. To the people at Fresh restaurant - thank you for sharing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Restaurant and a Great Book, Nov. 19 2013
Joani Taylor (Vancouver BC) - See all my reviews
I love love , love this book so far and I am looking forward to trying most of the recipes here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to make your favourite restaurant dishes!, Jan. 7 2013
Beautiful pages filled with your favourite fresh recipes, even those that sometimes rotate on-and-off the menu! Great sauces, soups, apps, and juices!! As another reviewer mentioned already, my partner and I can't wait to make the veggie burger recipe because we remember loving it tremendously at their restaurants. We love this franchise and only wish they could set up in other parts of Canada, but at least they have made this book available for us to create their dishes at home in long anticipation of another restaurant to open...or at least one like theirs!

We also started looking at juicers more seriously after buying this book as there are great tips and recommendations on consumer juicers and lots of great tips on technique as well!!

If you have ever experienced the pleasure of food in either of the three Fresh locations in Toronto, than you must get this book!

Only con is that completion time on some recipes may seem a bit deceiving (since it is not actually stated at the beginning) and a few recipes require the combination of another (e.g., sauce) to complete it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the dragon bowl, Aug. 19 2014
Love the dragon bowl in this book. The recipes have multiple recipes in one, however it's quick and easy to make. This book is a must!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's complicated but food is delicious, Dec 18 2011
I would have liked to make more of the dishes in this book, but the style of the book is to refer you to previous recipes. Not unusual to have 3 or 4 ''ingredients'' that are actually separate recipes that must be made first. Those recipes, in turn, also feature "go to page ..." and so on. As a result, I have not made a lot dishes from the book. That being said, the ones I did try have worked well. I actually bought the book for the almond and date smoothie recipe which is delicious. I would totally recommend taking this book out of the library to see if it is your style before buying it.

reFresh: Contemporary Vegan Recipes From the Award Winning Fresh Restaurants