biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night vd2016beauty Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

on January 13, 2011
What a disappointment. I've never returned a book before now, but honestly, this one was a dust collector right off the bat. Baked apples? Seriously? I don't know many people who don't know how to put some cinnamom and nutmeg on an apple and put it in the oven. Maybe it's because of the incredibly strict rules that Cordain follows. Get off grains, lose the sugar and avoid soy, corn and other processed oils at all costs? You bet. Toss the processed food and find grass fed, pastured, free range and organic meat and eggs? I'm with you. But if you then remove all dairy (cheese, butter, cream) and go low fat (why you would do this I have no idea), it's pretty darn hard to create a dessert.

(UPDATE: I understand that Mr. Cordain has revisited the idea that saturated fat is bad in his new Paleo Diet book. This might change his recipes, but for now, back to the review....)

Here's my take on paleo eating in a nutshell (it'll save you the price of a cookbook): Cook some grass fed, free range or pastured meat or wild fish (the size of your palm is about right), put it on your plate and fill the rest of the plate up with organic veggies and salad (raw is always good). Snack on nuts. Easy on the fruit (berries are the best!) and heavy on the veggies. Stay far, far away from sugar, grains, beans, soy, processed stuff and food covered in chemicals. Don't eat animals that were fed these things, either. Dairy? Some say no, some say okay. Honey? Same thing.

Want to approximate your old favorites? Cauliflower is life's wonder food: use it in place of rice or potatoes. Spaghetti squash is pasta, as is zucchini. Cabbage can be lasagna noodles. Romain lettuce leaves = wraps for just about anything you could put in a sandwich. Turnip and rutabagas do just about anything potatoes can do. High heat frying can be done in pork fat, beef tallow or (to some extent) coconut oil.

Want to make desserts? Bake with almond meal and coconut flour. Use stevia to sweeten and coconut oil, butter and olive oil for healthy fats. Eggs and cream help a lot. Organic feta and cream cheese can be found if you eat dairy. If not, you can still do some baking with coconut oil, coconut milk and eggs. You can make SUPERB ice cream with premium coconut milk (the high fat stuff), stevia, eggs and some melted Lindt 99% chocolate. No sugar, no dairy, total paleo, and you won't believe your taste buds.

Anyway, this book did not entice me into the kitchen or spark my imagination. No pictures, no new ideas, no fun, many ingredients that would be really hard to find...just not much there to love.

Pick up The Primal Blueprint Cookbook if you're looking for paleo meals, or a good low carb recipe book.
0Comment52 of 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2010
I just received my copy of the Paleo Diet Cookbook.
I'm somewhat disapointed: No photos at all (I'm already prejudiced against cookbooks without pictures),
but I can live with the dull paper the paperback was printed on...
The recipes are so déjà vu that I think this book is for people who are completely new to the kitchen.
Wait, I'm not implying that the diet itself is not working, but the recipes have absolutely nothing
new to show me. Well, I can't complain that it's not a simple book to follow... but I can make my own
concoctions with fruits and cinnamon/nutmeg or any meat with oregano/garlic/tomato or dill.
I so much enjoyed Primal Blueprint cookbook from Mark Sisson, that this one just didn't bring ooohs and ahhhs like I had anticipated...
0Comment21 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2011
I was definitely disappointed with this cook. I didnt even cook with the recipes, i was looking for new food ideas not different spices for the same recipe over and over. and there are no pictures
on February 27, 2011
No pictures is a problem. Also focus on wild meat is not ideal for us without access. Not bad though. Recipes we made were tasty.
on May 17, 2014
This book has great recipes easy to follow and delicious. I am very new to the Paleo diet and found it informative and really like the way it flows so easy to follow.
on May 6, 2015
Great recipes. Love the book. would recommend it to friends and family. Great buy.
on August 14, 2014
Great book not a lot of pictures but he recipes are to die for!