5.0 out of 5 stars Good Thoughts For Managers, Testers and Developer
This book is not a tutorial on "how to test." While it offers some suggestions, its aim is to pass on to the reader some significant considerations learned over the years by the authors.
Published on March 16 2004 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Promises Much, Delivers [little]
Published on May 24 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Thoughts For Managers, Testers and Developer, March 16 2004
Amazon Customer "duluth boy" (Grand Rapids, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lessons Learned in Software Testing: A Context-Driven Approach (Paperback)
While it does cover some rules of thumb for testing techniques, it goes further. It provides insight into the human element of testing and gives practical advice on how to communicate defects, trust in the doers to make estimates, understand the importance of a diverse culture and other areas that have a significant impact on the development process. This is all done well within the context of the impact to software testing.
If you're a development manager, I strongly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective as individual resource or training tool, March 5 2004
Mike Tarrani "Jazz Drummer" (Deltona, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is a book of combined wisdom and advice ranging from automated testing to how to think like a tester. What makes it unique is the way the wisdom is imparted and advice given by exhaustively dissecting key pitfalls in all of the key areas of testing, then reinforcing them with lessons and examples.
As an individual tester seeking to improve professional knowledge you'll benefit from the combined wisdom, as well as the scope of the book's areas. The three authors have extensive experience in the profession - in fact, each is a leader in the profession - and each brings a different perspective to the practice of software testing. This guarantees that you will be exposed to a diverse set of challenges and ideas.
If you teach testing, either in a class or set aside time for internal training within your testing group, this book is invaluable. In the classroom setting it will augment your primary text and material by providing discussion items and mini-cases with which to challenge your students. In the job setting it provides sufficient material from which to draw for conducting informal on-the-job training. More importantly, many of the lessons are bound to coincide with issues you and your group face in day-to-day work, which will allow you to reinforce lessons learned in your organization with the findings and advice contained within this book.
Regardless of whether you are using this book to further your own professional knowledge or use as a training tool, it represents a valuable addition to the software testing body of knowledge and belongs on the bookshelf of everyone in he testing profession.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but not a tutorial, Feb. 10 2004
Richard Cowand "rcmeister" (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
I noticed that many of the reviewers listed above are noted SW testing professionals that have published books themselves. I also noticed that these same professionals tend to supply glowing reviews for each other. I think this might lead to a bit of a bias that could mislead ordinary folks looking for a good reference tool to help them do their job.
I've been in the SW test business for several years and have used Cem Kaner's "Testing Computer Software 2nd Edition" as a bible for many years. Mr. Kaner's "Lessons Learned in Software Testing" is a great help for both rookies and seasoned veterans alike, but mainly for anecdotal wisdom. I wish I had the opportunity to read this book early in my career, it would have prevented some of the painful lessons I've learned about the testing business. At the same time, portions of this book are opinions and observations, and should be read with an open mind, but not read as gospel. I often read sections of this book to reassure myself that my actions/decisions/processes are sound.
This book is not a "how to" guide with sample forms and processes to follow, but a very useful collection of wisdom from some of the best minds in testing. Think of this book as three wise people sharing their knowledge with anyone willing to listen (or ante up the bucks to buy the book).

4.0 out of 5 stars Many helpful tips and ideas, Jan. 13 2004
By A Customer
When I first looked at this book in the bookstore, I flipped through it and thought it was not worth buying. A few tips here and there but not worth the money. Except, I would occassionally pick it up again on subsequent visits and find a few more tips I hadn't seen the first time or been in the mood to appreciate. After a few rounds of this I bought it and was glad I did.
There are a lot of books out there that talk endlessly about theory and generalities surrounding testing. If you are a tester you don't need these to get work done. You either need tried and true methods you can use today OR a resource to inform your thinking on how to approach tough testing problems specific to your situation that no book out there seems to cover. This book works very well for this purpose. No testing book is going to give you all you need straight out of the box to tackle your exact testing challenges. You are going to have to work out most of it yourself and this book will help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Agile advice for agile testing, Dec 12 2002
Amazon Customer "umiliik" (Clementsport, NS, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book for getting testers' heads straight about what software testing is and is not. The next time I head up a testing team, we'll grab copies of this book and work our way through it over lunch, a few sections each week.
One of the strengths of "Lessons Learned" is that the authors know there is not just one answer. Wisdom is general, and then it has to be applied specifically to the specific situation. "Lessons Learned" helps testers get their passions up about the best, most efficient, most useful ways to understand and work with the project's code, and the clearest, must useful ways to transmit that information to programmers, management, and stakeholders.
Oh, and it's humane and funny--a book you can read for fun, and get wise at the same time. A universe away from the understanding that thinks testing is just making lists and checking them off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Context is Everything when "It Depends" is the Answer, June 12 2002
Johanna Rothman (Arlington, MA USA) - See all my reviews
Too often, testers ask questions such as "Should I use this test technique?" or "How should I plan my testing?", where the only real answer is "It depends". Successful testing and test planning depends on your context, and that's what Kaner, Bach, and Pettichord have described in this book. Each lesson briefly describes the context in which the lesson is useful. When conflicting practices are useful but in different contexts, such as whether to use IEEE Standard 829 to document testing, the lessons describe when you would want to use which practice and when you would not.
If you're thinking about your testing, and you're not sure what applies to you, this book will help clarify your thinking. This is not a book about how to test per se, but a well-written and useful book about how to think about testing for your organization.

1.0 out of 5 stars Promises Much, Delivers [little], May 24 2002
By A Customer
This book was praised by several colleagues as THE way to work on testing methods and thinking. After reading it and talking with each of them, it was apparent they were excited based on false credentials about ideas that were easy and comfortable but ineffective long term. This book is VERY dangerous to a serious testing organization because it focuses on minimal documentation (which means in 6 months when you're asked if you tested X and you can't remember, you'll get 5mins to get out of the building), downplays automation in regression testing (what!!?), and admits openly that it is proposing ideas that are NOT proven (contrary to what the title states) but rather are ideas that "seem to be working" (see pg 176) but no formal nor long term studies support their claims. Well, long term studies that have already been done directly contradict their findings: process is driven by a need to be effective and if you don't know what you're doing before you do it, then you don't know what you did when you're done. ... This is a book for those who advocate ad hoc testing to their own discredit and need a means of justificating their apathy and laziness to those who actually know effective testing techniques.

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful resource. A good read., March 25 2002
"hungqnguyen" (Foster City, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
When I am asked for suggested solutions to software-testing problems, my standard answer has always been "The solutions depend on the context of the problems, external variables such as technology, process, people, and politics, and the specific objectives one hopes to achieve." I've also wished that there were a reliable, experience-based resource that I could refer my testing friends to that had answers to these commonly asked questions. Thankfully, Kaner, Bach and Pettichord have made my wish a reality. Packed with hundreds of lessons gleaned from numerous testing contexts, Lessons Learned in Software Testing offers sound advice from the three authors and many of their colleagues. Whether you're confronting test project management issues, looking for fresh testing techniques, or hoping to improve your effectiveness in working with developers, you will find valuable ideas here. I enjoyed reading these lessons and take pleasure in sharing them with my fellow testers.
Today, I can confidently say to my colleagues that "Take a look in Lessons learned in Software Testing-You'll probably find your answers there."

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fast Forward for Your Career, Feb. 11 2002
Marge Farrell (Cupertino, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I had the pleasure of reviewing this book as it was being written. It is a real gem.
This book is a tool that will be valuable throughout your career. It is filled with practical suggestions and observations based on decades of experience. You will not find religious wars here, just real-world experience with wide application.
This book will pay for itself very quickly. I have used the weekly status report format on page 183 for several projects and found it to be much more effective than any previous formats.
If you use pairwise testing, pages 52-60, the book has paid for itself. I've used pairwise testing to reduce an impossible number of combinations (864) to a small number of test cases that effectively covered what needed to be tested.
If you want to get the bugs you find fixed, read Chapter 4. If you do automated testing, you can climb way up the learning curve by reading Chapter 5. If you're making decisions about how much test documentation to write, read Chapter 6. If you're involved in management, read Chapter 9. If you're interested in managing your career, read Chapter 10. I could go on.
I've worked in diverse environments on wildly different products. This book has something for every work situation and test problem I've faced. On a scale of 10, I would give it 100 for greatly exceeding my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy, learn and use, Feb. 8 2002
Ståle Amland (STAVANGER, Norway) - See all my reviews
I received my copy of "Lessons Learned in Software Testing" last week. Although, I had seen parts of it before, I have now really enjoyed having this fantastic information source available.
The book contains a lot of lessons learned that I never thought about before, and for all the lessons I had thought about the write-up and examples are very useful.
Like the other day when I was preparing some course material about testing techniques, I had a pile of software testing books in front of me on my desk. After scanning them all, I turned to "Lessons Learned" and found the information I was looking for! I found a classification scheme of testing techniques and a lot of information useful to me while I was thinking about how to present this to other people. The same thing goes for test automation, bug reporting, test documentation and all the other sections in this book. It is not replacing the other testing books that I have, but it is a very useful supplement!
I might not agree with all the lessons in the book, but this is a book to enjoy, learn from and use!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Lessons Learned in Software Testing: A Context-Driven Approach
Lessons Learned in Software Testing: A Context-Driven Approach by Bret Pettichord (Paperback - Dec 31 2001)
CDN$ 43.99 CDN$ 27.58