5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding; should be on the desks of every online writer
Published on July 12 1999 by pja554@airmail.net

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Simplistic, Unfortunately
Published on April 18 2000 by an amazon.com customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Simplistic, Unfortunately, April 18 2000
This review is from: Writing for New Media: The Essential Guide to Writing for Interactive Media, CD-ROMs, and the Web (Paperback)
This book may be useful to someone who either: (1) has no experience using the Internet or CD-ROMs; or (2) has no access to free Internet articles about writing for the Web. For everybody else, spend your money on something else. So much of what's written here is elementary and common sense! (For example, hyperlinks are explained at least 3 times.) Perhaps this book was timely in 1998 but it's just ho-hum now. You'll find better information by searching the Internet for the latest in this subject; the Internet articles go more into depth and are much more insightful. (E.g., see Jacob Nielson's Alertbox for October 1, 1997, [...] this article says more about Web writing than the entire Writing for New Media book, and interestingly, was printed before the Writing for New Media book was even published). Crawford Kilian's Writing for the Web book is a better read than this elementary book too. I only wish I would have discovered how simplistic the Writing for New Media book was before Amazon's 30-day return period had expired....

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding; should be on the desks of every online writer, July 12 1999
The authors of this book make a very difficult and often misunderstood subject a breeze to understand. As a teacher of interactive writing I find this book to be the 'Bible' for all struggling to make sense of the rapid-fire technology as we embrace the ever-changing way we communicate. I now have a waiting list for my interactive writing course, thanks to the application of the authors' principals. From the beautifully-crafted analogies in the introduction to the realities of limitations on bandwidth I sail through lectures. But this is not just a "teacher's aid." The principals in this book can be applied by both newbies and expert e-commerce professionals. The difference between linear and nonlinear writing - which is the real heart of new media - is perhaps the key to the success of this book. Not to mention the variety of examples on interactivity and the role this plays in the field of online publishing. And this may be the only book that doesn't ASSUME the Internet is the only medium that supports interactive documentation. Where would we be without the effects of CD ROM technology? At least one chapter is dedicated to writing for this medium. I have scoured the bookshelves for two years, hoping to add to my 'portfolio' of interactive publishing something more worthwhile than this book. I've yet to find it.
Pamela James Adjunct Professor Writing for Interactive Publishing El Centro Community College, Dallas, Texas

3.0 out of 5 stars Good as an introduction, but not concise enough, July 18 2001
This book is a little too brief if you are really writing for the new media. I feel it is good as an introduction for new-comers in this area. Many of the examples given and subjects touched on are very general terms that every writer for the new media should already know. Benefits of this book are that it is easy to read, clearly illustrated with screen captures to support explanations of the terms and a clear presentation. I have two other books to recommend though: 1. Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications by Microsoft Press (of course), and 2. Developing Quality Technical Information : A Handbook for Writers and Editors by Gretchen Hargis. Check them out!

2.0 out of 5 stars The book gives an overview of writing for new media., June 4 1999
By A Customer
I am somewhat disappointed in what the book covers. It is fine for those who are completely new to the media. It informs readers about the terminology and general methods of communications of interactive media. Unfortunately it falls short for the more experienced writers. It is simply too basic and lacks detailed examples and instruction.

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not as essential as originally planned..., Aug. 15 2000
By A Customer
I read this book for a Writing for Multimedia class, and I can't say I was either elated or disgusted by it. Yes, I agree with other writers in that the language was quite simplistic, yet also quite repetetive. It definitely did a good job as an introduction to writing for multimedia, but I would not call it an essential resource.

Tara Anderson "you're a wasp nest." (Woodinville, WA USA) - See all my reviews