1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars not what i expected, my state wasn't even included, Jan. 25 2004
This review is from: Main Street Festivals: Traditional and Unique Events on America's Main Streets (Paperback)
Despite the wording of the title, I didn't realize that there is a very narrow criteria to be included in thsi book. I expected sort of a USA only version of Chase's Annual Events that was specifically focused on festivals. Wrong...
Here's what this book is, using their own words... "this guides hilights those communities partipating in the National Trust for Historic Preservation's Main Street program that have developed down town festivals as part of their revitalization process. Reaching deep into their communities identity, Main street programs have created wonderful and original themes for festivals, which could not have come from anywhere else but the communities rich heritage."
So I'm thinking, why couldn't the Shad Festival in Lambertville, NJ be part of this book? It fits their definition. Whoops. No it doesn't, it's probably not part of the historic trust. Oh well.
So to say this book disapointed me is an understatement, as not only it the scope much more narrow then I expected, some states aren't even included. So if you're looking for a guide to festivals in your state, here's a list of what states are covered: CT, DE, MA, PA, VT, VA, WV, AL, AK, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN, IL, IN, IA, MI, MI, WI, KS, NE, SD, WY, AZ, NM, OK, TX, CA, ID, OR, WA. If your state isn't listed, then this book may not be for you.
That said, the book is a decent collection of events both small and large, plainly interesting and coyly charming, I jsut wish they werne't so selective. As I felt about Chases Annual Events, I felt there was so much more that could've been included, and I find it hard to believe that they couldn't find at least one qualifying event in every state.

Main Street Festivals: Traditional and Unique Events on America's Main Streets