5.0 out of 5 stars The CISSP Prep Guide: Gold Edition
This book presented me a good outline of study material for the CISSP test in which I passed the first time. The CISSP test is no walk in the park. The book was excellent in the 10 domains of security.
If people are serious about this certification (and qualify) then this is a book that will disect each domain without too much runoff explanation. This book is a...
Published on March 9 2003 by herber602

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much information
Published on July 2 2003 by Thane Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars Good information but not necessarily on-target, June 2 2004
This review is from: The CISSP Prep Guide (Hardcover)
I studied for the CISSP exam using this book, parts of other books, and some online resources. I also took the seminar offered by ISC^2. A month after completing the seminar, I took the exam. And about a week or so after that, I was relieved to find out that I had passed. Based on my experience, here are some words to the wise about this book in reference to the actual exam.
A review of any preparatory book has to be done in comparison with other books that attempt to do the same. It is no use criticizing a particular book only to find out that no better resource exists. However, it is important to highlight how a particular book compares with the actual goal of preparing the student for the particular exam that has to be taken. With that in mind, I will state up front that IMHO this book is probably one of the better books out there when preparing for the CISSP exam. (I have not read the Shon Harris book so I can not comment on it. However, from what I've heard, it is better in its coverage of the not-so-technical domains of the CISSP exam like Security Models and Law/Ethics. Perhaps a combination of these two books would be most effective in terms of preparing for the exam -- along with other resources of course.)
Coverage of some of the technical topics in this book seems very good. I was particularly impressed with their coverage of the Cryptography chapter -- it is a difficult topic and the book seems to do a decent job of covering it. However, be aware that the coverage of this topic in the book is above and beyond the level required for CISSP. The authors go into significant details on certain algorithms etc. which is absolutely unnecessary for CISSP. On the other hand, the authors don't seem to explain (in a clear, comprehensive manner) how symmetric and asymmetric cryptography ties in together when carrying out a typical secure session over the internet -- including the exchange of asymmetric keys for securely exchanging symmetric keys which then can be used for data transfer as well as the authentication process using digital signatures. Another example of an area where the book seems to dwell too deep into topics which are only required at an inch-deep level for CISSP purposes is the section on Kerberos. However, one should keep in mind that a little extra knowlege never hurt anyone. (The only problem is that when studying for the exam, one may get the impression that a particular topic will indeed be covered in such detail -- which obviously is a false impression). In other areas, I found that the section on Security Models was not very well done and seemed disparate at times in its coverage. This was certainly one area where I found other sources to significantly add to my understanding of the topic.
Some people have stated that a number of questions presented in the Advanced Questions section of the book are not covered in the chapter reading and that this is a problem with the book. However, if one views these questions as further study/information material and not necessarily a test of one's understanding of the chapter, this problem goes away. The fact is that the authors provide independent, detailed explanation in answer to each question presented in the Advanced Questions section and these explanations serve to provide further information that was not present in the chapter reading. As such, I found this quite useful since it added to my knowledge rather than just testing on what I had read. For those who wish to test their understanding of the material, there is a good "testing" resource online at [...]
Overall, the authors seem very knowledgeable about all of the domains and present the material in a clear manner. In fact, given the breadth of the material in CISSP domains, their depth in certain areas is quite impressive.
I have often heard people say that the CISSP exam tests your experience in the security field, and that is not something you can gain from a book. Don't take this statement lightly! Books such as this one can only give you the theory behind "common sense" decisions that a security personnel would make during his/her daily work. They provide a good foundation. When it comes to the exam, use many resources (including this book of course), don't get caught in the details, and think common sense -- but with a security perspective!

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't study just one book!, March 15 2004
This review is from: The CISSP Prep Guide (Hardcover)
There are 250 questions in the exam. Since the authors are all CISSPs, they are not allowed to directly give away the questions. Each book offers a relative limited number of practice questions. When I was preparing for the exam I realized that I would need to practice with a large number of questions to be properly prepared. So, I decided to ignore all the comments here on which book was better. I bought and read several books to prepare for it. My logic was: if I read an additional book and it helped me to get just that one additional question that I might need to pass the exam, it would save me at least the $500 that I would have to otherwise pay to take it again. I took the exam recently and passed! Looking back, this and the others all helped.

1.0 out of 5 stars Vital information missing from chapters., Dec 1 2003
This review is from: The CISSP Prep Guide (Hardcover)
Ironically, the chapters are fairly well written, clear and consise, as opposed to another popular all-in-one CISSP book. However, the reason for my one-star review is: I went through the chapters and took the "sample" and "bonus" questions to review, then proceeded to the real McCoy, the "advanced questions" that are "representative of the real exam". Well, about 1/2 the questions refer to material that is NOT even COVERED in the chapters. Confusing? Frustrating?? Dissappointing??? To say the least.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Oct. 14 2003
This review is from: The CISSP Prep Guide (Hardcover)
This book was the only resource I used to pass the CISSP exam. I should mention, I am a computer architect and have advanced degrees in CS and math. If you have a tech background, use this text to fill in areas you may be unfamiliar with and you will succeed.

2.0 out of 5 stars There are errors in this book!, Oct. 6 2003
Janine M. Kearns (Hebron, CT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The CISSP Prep Guide (Hardcover)
I just took my exam yesterday and attended a week long seminar to prepare. This book has errors in it and was really difficult to read for me (the cryptography section was written in mathematical formulas).
A better choice is The All in One CISSP Prep Guide by Shon Harris. That book also includes a CD with practice exams.
Even though I took the test yesterday, I just ordered the Shon Harris book for my reference. That is how good that book was.
Good luck on the test.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, but too broad, Sept. 10 2003
This review is from: The CISSP Prep Guide (Hardcover)
This is a great cissp prep book.
But my only complaint is that the authors sometimes venture into areas, which are pretty, much off topic.
Other than that, a winner of a book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much information, July 2 2003
Thane Williams (Bellevue, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The CISSP Prep Guide (Hardcover)
I just took the CISSP exam after three weeks of studying, with The CISSP Prep Guide: Gold Edition as my main study guide. Unfortunately, Krutz & Vines have included a wealth of information that I didn't need to know, meaning I spent hours memorizing superfluous information. For example, they delve into the gory details of the various cryptographic algorithms. I was careful to learn that information, only to have another exam guide point out that "the CISSP exam does not cover the specific details of how cryptographic algorithms work, so if you are confused by this information, feel free to move on."
While it is true that you can do well on the CISSP test by studying this book, you don't need much of the information presented here, and most of it is presented more concisely in other study guides. Furthermore, other study guides I used contained valuable information that was not in this book, information that did appear in test questions.
As goofy and badly-written as it may seem, Shon Harris's study guide will serve you better in the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much information, July 2 2003
Thane Williams (Bellevue, WA USA) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the greatest, July 1 2003
This review is from: The CISSP Prep Guide (Hardcover)
I just passed the CISSP on my first go after a month's study. I used this book as my primary study reference although I also had the All-in-One CISSP guide.
My main problems with the Prep Guide:
1) It reads like a long white-paper. There are precious few examples and it is painfully obvious there was no effort on the part of the authors to make the subject matter interesting (which, by nature, it is). Additionally, the book has about as much flow or continuity as a section of tax code. Seriously, there is no excuse for how dull and choppy this tome can be. I've had more fun reading the dictionary. [Unfortunately Shon Harris' all-in-one is a little too far in the other direction being filled with useless illustrations and child-speak.]
2) The Advanced Sample Questions are too advanced and the text goes too deep in too many areas. Remember, the CISSP is not an engineering exam.. You don't have to know how to actually DO anything, you just need to be able to sound like you have a clue [read: management/consultant] I was more than a little peeved when Krutz launched into a dissection of the cryptographic ciphers that was way too deep to be applicable to the test yet too short to really give the reader a meaningful understanding. [The difference here between all-in-1 and the Prep Guide is astonishing.] The advanced sample questions were, quite simply, too advanced much of the time.
3) Really, WHAT is the point of the long section on HIPAA in the book??? Its not on the exam!!! I thought this was a study guide, not a general security practicioner's book! Waste of pages, guys.
So yeah, you can get the CISSP title by using this book like you can get fit by joining the Marines. I'm inclined to suggest there are easier ways. Unfortunately the all-in-1 guide is a little too fluffy for my tastes but at least you can flip through it in no time. Good luck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good CISSP reference prep guide, March 19 2003
This review is from: The CISSP Prep Guide (Hardcover)
The CISSP Prep Guide: Gold Edition is a very good reference for anyone wanting to study for the exam.
The Gold Edition is quite comprehensive, and covers all of the core elements of the CBK. The often overly technical writing makes the book difficult to read at times.
While most test software that comes with books is often second rate, the CD-ROM Prep Exam guides are quite valuable. The CD-ROM contains over 360 questions on the 10 areas of the CBK.
While no one should not base his or her entire CISSP exam preparation on any single reference, The CISSP Prep Guide: Gold Edition is nonetheless a good place to start.

The CISSP Prep Guide
The CISSP Prep Guide by Russell Dean Vines (Hardcover - Oct. 17 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 9.27