5.0 out of 5 stars A philosophical, religious view of color, May 23 2001
This review is from: The Art of Color: The Subjective Experience and Objective Rationale of Color (Hardcover)
What fascinates me so much about Itten's classic book is its deeply philosophical, even quasi-religious approach to color. Itten was as much interested in the spirituality of color as in developing a theory of color.
Another great aspect of the book is the numerous master paintings beautifully reproduced and intertwined with his own theories and color diagrams. You get paintings by Rembrandt, Renoir, Monet, El Greco, Seurat, and so many others. Itten is always contrasting the objective and the subjective aspects of art and color, and it makes for a fascinating reading experience.
Itten has a mature perspective on these painters and their relation to color. Its only flaw is that Itten's is only one perspective. I wish there were more authors who could write and analyze art at this level, and who weren't afraid to be spiritual in their assessments.
With so many dramatic advancements in technology, we tend to forget very quickly where we were. Just a decade or so ago, this book was literally too difficult and too expensive to produce. We are lucky to live in an age in which a book of such profound beauty is even available. Overall, it's a must for any fine library.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing!, Feb. 19 2002
Jeff Mehlhoff "ohokay" (Jacksonville, FL) - See all my reviews
This book might be expensive, but what do you expect for such genius. I love this book, and would recommend it to anyone into color theroy. Itten is a color genius, and this book proves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Itten is a true master, Aug. 13 2001
Shahr Yar (Walnut Creek, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I'd studied physiology and neuroscience, later switching careers from a medical path to that of a designer. I've dived into many sources for my self-education/training. Itten is the grand-master of color; no other book I've read compares to those of Itten. His teachings have enlightened me in ways that I'm amazed by, touching on scientific, psychological, behavioral, and the most personal aspects of color as a study and an experience. It's changed the way I look at my environment, and it's changing the way I use color in my work as a designer.
I'm so impressed with the value this book has had to me, that I bought Itten's book on Form and Design, even though I didn't necessarily feel lacking on those aspects of design. It's rather because of the likelihood in the quality and richenss of knowledge I'll gain, as I did from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vast amount of well-illustrated knowledge., Aug. 25 1999
By A Customer
Anyone interested in the color theory and its applicance on art should seriously consider this book. Everything explained is illustrated by high quality examples and samples from different artists' work; definitely made me happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I WILL do it in spanish. Un libro de trabajo y experiencias, June 7 1999
By A Customer
De gran informacion y de necesaria base de experimentacion para todos quienes quieren manejar el color con seguridad en base a uua experiencia sistematica que el autor nos hace llegar con un lenguaje claro y de profundo conocimiento.

The Art of Color: The Subjective Experience and Objective Rationale of Color