5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely essential.
I'm not sure which version of "The Professional Chef" Mr. Garvin was reading, but in my copy (7th Edition), there were only a total of 9 pages dedicated solely to proper knife usage and technique. 9 pages of 1036...by my math that doesn't get anywhere close to "90-95%" it's more like < 1%.
I made the mistake of believing his review and...
Published on Jan. 12 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of duplicated info-- buy Professional Chef instead!
Although there is a lot of great information in the book, about 90-95% of it is straight out of "The Professional Chef." For another $20 or so, buy it instead. You get the same knife-handling info, and a ton more.
This book should sell for [less].
Published on Aug. 9 2002 by Chris Garvin

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful information, but a few minor nits, March 13 2004
Joseph S. Riel (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Professional Chef's Knife Kit (Paperback)
This book covers, quite well and with clear black and white photographs, the basics of using kitchen knives. The chapters are Basics, Care, Cuts, Vegetables & Fruits, Meat & Poultry, Fish & Shellfish, Summary, Glossary, and Index. The "food" chapters are broken into sections, each section shows how to cut a particular type of vegetable, fruit, meat, etc.
I'm not wild about the font selection, it is tiring to read for extended passages, however, because most of the book consists of
fairly short paragraphs and enumerated steps, it is acceptable.
The section on sharpening is too short, you will want to go elsewhere if you need to learn how to achieve and maintain a really sharp edge. The part on using a steel is, in my opinion, questionable. Edges are commonly damaged by their use. Don't consider using a coarse or regular cut steel on a good knife. If you must steel, use a light touch with a smooth or fine cut.
French names are given for most of the various cutting techniques. It would be useful to include a pronunciation guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely essential., Jan. 12 2004
This review is from: The Professional Chef's Knife Kit (Paperback)
I made the mistake of believing his review and purchased "The Professional Chef" instead of buying "The Professional Chef's Knife Kit," and boy did I regret it. I now have a 1000+ page paperweight that cost $50. :-( Not that it's a horrible book, but it's hardly a reference for someone looking for a knife course study. The book is interesting, but it's not what I had hoped it would be.
I went back and bought the Chef's Knife Kit book and it's wonderful. Loaded with information, pictures, and helpful hints, it's a must for anyone who's serious about improving their knife skills. Save your money and avoid "The Professional Chef: 7th Edition," unless you're looking for a book that addresses the entire scope of a professional kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy for culinary students, Oct. 3 2003
This review is from: The Professional Chef's Knife Kit (Paperback)
I'm a culinary student and I found this book quite helpful in preparing me for the kitchen. It showed me various knife techniques that made food preparation much faster and more sanitary. I also highly recommend the following for baking and advanced baking classes:
Study Guide for Baking: Key Review Questions and Answers with Explanations by Melissa Heilman
Study Guide for Advanced Baking: Key Review Questions and Answers with Explanations by Melissa Heilman
These last 2 books helped me to prepare for the type of questions seen on my baking and advanced baking exams. I go to a pretty prestigious culinary school, and these 3 books helped me out immensely. I give each book 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Puts the magic in your knives!!, Feb. 28 2002
This review is from: The Professional Chef's Knife Kit (Paperback)
This comprehensive guide to knives by the Culinary Institute of America is a must have for anyone interested in refining their knife techniques in the kitchen. Information on types of knives, materials, construction, specific uses and handling is thoroughly detailed in this book. Information on different types of cutting techniques includes photographs as well as instructions. Just having a superior set of knives is nice, but learning how to use them efficiently and precisely makes all the difference to a completed dish. If you can't attend a class on knives and their proper use, then this book is the next best thing. Better yet, do both!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of cutting techniques, I just love this book, June 20 2003
This review is from: The Professional Chef's Knife Kit (Paperback)
I am a culinary student and knew very little about handling knives until I purchased this book. It helped me a great deal in class and at home. The pictures in the book shows how to cut all types of foods including the most difficult ones,like onions. I also bought the Study Guide for the National Servsafe Exam: Key Review Questions and Answers with Explanations. This book helped me through my sanitation course and how to handle foods properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference Book, June 23 2004
This review is from: The Professional Chef's Knife Kit (Paperback)
This book is exactly what I wanted; a self-study guide on how to use a knife correctly. I am an amateur chef and I found the guide to be easy to understand, had good photos, and had a depth of information. An added bonus is the size of the book. It is large enough for all the information you need, without being huge and difficult to flip through.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Chef is only as good as his knifes!, Dec 7 2002
G. Selwyn "Local Ex. Chef" (Los Alamos, NM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Professional Chef's Knife Kit (Paperback)
What good is it to try cooking if you don't even have a good set of knifes? This book will help its readers understand the different kinds of knife that professional chefs use and how to properly use them. If you are interested in cooking I highly recommend this book along with hundreds of Culinary Institute students who use it as well!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic and Advanced Knife Skills, Dec 15 2001
This review is from: The Professional Chef's Knife Kit (Paperback)
Paperback binding not withstanding, this book is highly informative, with many, many pictures detailing not only knifes, but how to use them. Advanced knife cuts are covered. Do you know how to tourner a carrot, or flute a mushroom? Get this book to find out how to do these and much, much more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lots of duplicated info-- buy Professional Chef instead!, Aug. 9 2002
Chris Garvin (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Professional Chef's Knife Kit (Paperback)
This book should sell for [less].

3.0 out of 5 stars the garde manger chef, April 24 2000
This review is from: The Professional Chef's Knife Kit (Paperback)
this book was very detailed.only thing i did not like is because it was paper back but other than that it had a lot of information about diffrent knifes.

The Professional Chef's Knife Kit
The Professional Chef's Knife Kit by The Culinary Institute of America (Paperback - Oct. 22 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 34.30