4.0 out of 5 stars itis very useful for my cook to prepare for exam
this book is very good it provide a greate infarmation about cooking i think ithelps even non canadianrestaurents
also help to understand the cooking culture
Published 19 months ago by Anupinderjit Ghai

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon.ca's delivery date is a fantasy!
Ordered this book early September with 2-3 day availability. It's mid-November and just received the fourth delay notice: "We wanted to let you know there's a delay with one or more items in the order you placed on September 04 2002. Item delayed 4-6 weeks."
Published on Nov. 14 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars itis very useful for my cook to prepare for exam, Dec 5 2012
also help to understand the cooking culture

5.0 out of 5 stars This book helped me a great deal through all courses, July 15 2003
"36791" (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Professional Cooking, 5th Edition (Hardcover)
I am a culinary student and this book was a required purchase. It is very detailed and has great photos. I also love the questions at the end of each chapter, but unfortunately no answers. The baking section is very good too, but I was having a little bit of trouble getting through those particular courses. After buying the Study Guide for Baking and Study Guide for Advance Baking I was able to get a passing grade. It asks and answered all the questions I was looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Culinary textbook, Dec 9 2002
This review is from: Professional Cooking, 5th Edition (Hardcover)
This book is good and was used By SAIT's (Southern Alberta Institute of Technology) culinary program in the 90's before they switched to a Canadian culanary textbook: On Cooking by Labensky,Hause, Malley, Bevan and Sicoli (Most of these guys are from Canadian culinary schools or technical colleges). It is very understandable and straight forward, but you got to remember if use this at home. You are going to do a lot of calculations for serving x-amount of people, not restaurant size batches.
This book helped me alot to prepare me for my apprentiship and the inter-provincial red seal in cooking. Don't use this book in class if you are in the culinary programs at any shool, just get the issued textbook and buy Professinal cooking as a reference, because some of the recipies are not the in the issued text book and sometimes the issued textbook is not really straight forward on instructions or concepts.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very in depth book!, Nov. 8 2002
Stephanie Manley (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Professional Cooking, 5th Edition (Hardcover)
While I am not a culinary student, I do love to cook and learn the science behind the food. This book is the most comprehensive, best photographed book I have seen. This is written for the student, or professional preparation in terms of quantities the recipes make. You can easily scale most of them to suit your personal needs. The book is divided into various sections there is a textbook feel as each area of food is explained thoroughly, then come the recipes. This book is nice as it offers many suggestions and ideas with each recipe. While this may not be the best choice for every cook at home, I think this is a good choice for people that want a little more out a cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have been waiting for this book for more than 4 weeks., Oct. 31 2002
By A Customer
I ordered this book OCT. 4,2002, the shipping info says "ships in 2-3 days" and today is Oct 31,2002 , I still waiting for this book.
So if you need this book right way, think twice before you order it.

Poon Ping Fai Albert (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
So if you need this book right way, think twice before you order it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book is great delivery is not, Oct. 9 2002
James McAllister (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I ordered this book having already purchased a previous edition at a normal bookstore, the shipping info says "ships in 2-3 days" well I just checked my order status and for an item ordered on OCT. 5 it would seem oct 31-nov 20 is a bit more than 2-3 days so be careful if you need this book for school!!and there appears to be no real person you can email or call to straighten this mess out either! like the book unhappy with the delivery.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon.ca's delivery date is a fantasy!, Nov. 14 2002

Professional Cooking, 5th Edition
Professional Cooking, 5th Edition by Wayne Gisslen (Hardcover - June 6 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 42.58