5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guide for Those Suffering The Pain of Abuse, March 8 2003
Lynn Dudenhoefer (Plymouth, MN United States) - See all my reviews
I could not put this book down. Most "self-help" books lay on my shelf half read, but this one was a real page turner. The author does an excellent job describing the forms of emotional abuse and helps you understand the dynamics behind it. She also provides helpful information in the book for the abuser. The best part of her book is the information she provides at the end of the book for changing your life so you can begin to seek out healthy relationships. She provides concrete, tangible things you can do to help raise your self-esteem and to identify the warning signs in possible abusers!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Emotionally Abusive Relationship, Oct. 22 2002
I would like to thank you for publishing the book by Ms. Beverly Engel, entitled "The Emotionally Abusive Relationship" . This book was well worth the time and effort it took to read and, I am convinced that if others had an opportunity to experience what I gained from this reading it would force them to look deep within and possibly gain an understanding of themselves. Ms. Engles book, The Emotionally Abusive Relationship was recommended to me by my wife, who believed that I was emotionally abusive. I was told to underline passages within the book because she felt that they pertained to the way I was treating (mistreating) her. I agreed to read the book and carry out her wishes, well upon reading the book it turned out that she was the cause of hers and our emotional abuse. This book described my wife to a tee, which she still denies. In order for one to understand ones problem one must first admit that there is a problem unfortunately others would rather blame others for their own inner turmoil's.

Ms. Engles kudos to you and your fabulous work and for the advice you rendered, you're my blessing in disguise.

Sincerely
Ron Owens

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 Years of Therapy Weren't Able to Do What This Did in Days, Dec 5 2003
This review is from: The Emotionally Abusive Relationship: How to Stop Being Abused and How to Stop Abusing (Paperback)
My experience with domestic violence landed me in therapy for PTSD. Eight years after divorcing my abusive husband, I continued to have less abusive relationships but still couldn't figure out why I couldn't seem to create a healthy relationship. This book taught me my patterns and even the signs I wasn't able to pin point as simmering in my new relationship. I was able to confront and talk with my new partner before things got out of hand. Together we are learning new patterns of behavior and are addressing both our learned behaviors as well. This is a great couples book no matter what's going on. Before I even gave it to him, my partner was calling it "the best book ever written" as I was able to explain his patterns to him that had bothered him for a long time. Read it yourself then get your partner to read it. Give it to any woman as a gift that's been through divorce or any type of abuse. You could change her life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A highly insightful, helpful book, Feb. 20 2011
I bought this book because I used to be in an abusive relationship, and I even those I have been out of this relationship for a few years now, I still felt there were unanswered questions. I didn't fully understand how I ended up in an abusive relationship, and overall, wasn't fully recovered.

This book clearly explained why I ended up in an abusive relationship. It made everything perfectly clear. After the initial anger subsided, which lasted only a couple of days, I was finally able to forgive and let go of the past.

The book is highly insightful. It is very well written, and very, very clear. It also helped me watch out of victim-like behavior in myself with other people in my like. It gives clear advice on what to do when you are dealing with people who have abusive tendencies. These techniques work exceptionally well on people who are not overly abusive. People that are very abusive are better avoided, and she clearly explains the difference.

A real eye-opener. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Best Book on the Subject!, Oct. 6 2003
By A Customer
As our relationship continually ran into difficulties, I knew something unhealthy was happening. I then read many books on the topic of abuse and control. This book not only describes and categorizes abuser and abusee, more importantly, it offers a guide to understand the cause as well as relavent corrective actions. Read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Jan. 12 2011
"The Emotionally Abusive Relationship" is a wonderful, helpful, sane book for people who are trying to figure out what is "wrong" in a relationship or situation, and what to do about it. I think it would help not just partners of abusive spouses, but also adult children of difficult parents, and, as well, people trying to cope with toxic organizations, or with bullies anywhere: workplaces, clubs, schools, religious/spiritual groups, and so on. It is clear and well-written and helped me enormously. Other books I found useful: "Stalking the Soul" by Marie-France Hirigoyen, and "Nasty People" by Jay Carter.

5.0 out of 5 stars An important book on emotional abuse, Oct. 1 2002
By A Customer
Beverly Engel is a terrific writer and her knowledge and sensitivity make this book absolutely vital to anyone trying to understand, improve, or get out of an emotionally abuse relationship. I highly recommend it -- it has been a real source of comfort and knowledge to me as I've tried to understand why I find myself in emotionally abusive relationships again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Emotionally Abusive Relationship, Sept. 11 2002
By A Customer
This book can help anyone who is either being abused, in a mutual abusive relationship, or is the abuser. Sometimes it's hard to determine what type of abusive patterns are manifesting and it's almost impossible to remain objective in emotion. With sensitivity and sincerity, this book allows you to create an action plan to stop abuse in all of its forms.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Emotionally Abusive Relationship, July 8 2014
This is probably the most helpful book I have read on abusive relationships so far. Beverly Engel focuses on a person's childhood and learned behaviour and attitudes. I learnt a lot about myself and others from reading this book. Everyone can take something away from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strategies to Choose From, June 30 2014
The Emotionally Abusive Relationship clearly identifies the nature of chronic abuse, and offers ways to stop reacting offensively and to take responsibility, each one for their own behaviour.

If one party cannot or does not wish to change, then the individual who does want to change has given it a good try - and has a decision to make. Lots of good strategies to politely and effectively confront someone who is hurting you and to refrain from making reactive statements that will not help.

Eleanor Cowan : A History of a Pedophile's Wife: Memoir of a Canadian Teacher and Writer

CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43