5.0 out of 5 stars Low carb and low maintenance
Published on Jan. 19 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Good-but lots of room for improvement
Published on March 8 2004 by J. D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Low carb and low maintenance, Jan. 19 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The 30-Day Low-Carb Diet Solution (Paperback)
To the writer who is looking for an inspirational story from one who lost...I started the 30 day diet plan on December 1st and have already lost 10 lbs - and this was during the holiday season! I found the 30 day plan easy to follow and easy to stick with. As a carb lover, I thought it would be impossible to give up pasta and potatoes, but the easy-to-make breakfasts and dinners leave me feeling satisfied and hence, no sugar cravings. Not only did I (finally) lose weight after being disappointed with Weight Watchers and low-fat diets, but I'm eating healthier which is the crux of this book.
This is not the Atkins diet by the way. This is Low-Carb...not No-Carb, which is probably one of the reasons I find it so easy to stick with.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good-but lots of room for improvement, March 8 2004
J. D. (Topeka, Kansas United States) - See all my reviews
The recipe index is not very well organized, and the book has several editing errors, but other than that: The 30 day meal plan is good, which is why I bought it, but (like a lot of other books) meal plans should keep the user in mind. Most people on a M-F schedule would prefer the Power Smoothie and Yogurt Cup recipes on a workday and the more time intensive Veggie Frittata and Lighter-than-air-Pancakes on Saturday and Sunday.
I also like the fact that several of the lunch plans are leftovers from a dinner prepared a day or two before, however it is not consistent and you never know whether to prepare the stated # of servings (usually 4) because you'll need the leftovers or pare it down to 2 if cooking only for 2, because if it's not used in a follow up lunch, you are either wasting 2 servings or eating more than needed.
I also think the information at the top of each recipe which lists # of servings and carb and protein amounts, should also list preparation and cook times, so you don't get caught offguard fixing dinner only to find your dish needs to marinate for an hour or two.
Well I'm not getting a consulting fee, so I'll end my critique.

4.0 out of 5 stars Low Carb Simplified!, Dec 21 2002
The Eades have been promoting a low carb lifestyle for many years. They have authored a number of books including Protein Power and The Protein Power LifePlan.
In their latest book, "The 30 Day Low-Carb Diet Solution", the Eades have simplified low carb living. They give easy to understand explanations as to why low carb eating is the solution for weight and health problems. They outline a 30 day eating program. Tips are given for what foods to eat and what to avoid.
They also include close to 100 recipes such as Hobo Pork Chops, Swiss Egg Casserole, Salmon in Tomato Tubs and more. Each recipe includes the carb and protein count.
Instead of complicated charts, easy self-aassessment quizzes are included to help you determine the portions of carbohydrate foods you can enjoy to reach your goals.
The book is laid out in a reader friendly format. Pick it up and start losing right away. No complicated science that can become overwhelming, just clear explanations that make sense.
Follow the 30 day food plan for exactly what to eat or interchange the meals.
An appendix gives the carbohydrate content of many foods. Also portion sizes are illustrated. The Eades also include a sample meal planner worksheet and recommendations for vitamins.
The book's one drawback is it does not include inspirational stories of folks who have lost on the plan. Nor does it include any ideas for keeping yourself on track mentally.
If you are looking for a simple to follow low carb plan, this is the book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just starting low-carb'ing? Buy this book!, Dec 21 2002
Bryan V "bryanv" (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
If you already understand and believe that eating low carb is the best way to loose weight and improve you health this is the book to get you started fast!
I already own their other books, I think the first Protein Power book is excellent, but there's a ton of details you have to read through to understand how your body works and why this diet is best. Many other authors have similar books with the same details, but their diets are different. I believe in PP most. It's easy to follow, not as strick as Atkins and who doesn't feel good about a married doctor couple writing about this new way to diet. Actually it's not at all new, Atkins came up with this diet 20 years ago. The 11/2002 Duke Univercity study has proven the diet safe and more effective than low fat diets, so low-carb is in the limelight again.
I was worried the book would be worthless for me since I have many other low-carb books, but it's an excellent quick read and get's you into the details of the diet fast. I will recommend this to all my friend that want to know how I lost 35 pounds in about 4 months (still working for more).
About half the book is text, the other half is menus and recipes. The menus are great for those that just want to follow a plan and not worry about menu planning. They are so well planned, they even built in use of leftovers the next day. All meals are interchangable so if you don't like a certain lunch, just sub with another. The recipes are very good and get you going. Many other cook books are available if you want more, but cooking low-carb and finding foods that may be new to you isn't always easy.
Buy yourself this book and start the new year out right!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for 1st timers, Feb. 20 2003
By A Customer
We had purchased and used Dr. Eades' previous book with great success. However, we lapsed into our old ways ang gained back our weight so we bought the 30-Day book. It's pretty good, but there are a lot of changes from the 1st book in menus. If you follow the book, you will lose the weight and improve your health. Some of our friends have done the same. The success is remarkable. I see that Dr. Atkins now allows some carbo's in his diet. We are also using his new book, "Atkins for Life." For variety, you may wish to buy some low carbo cookbooks. You really do have to make a permanent lifestyle change or the weight will come back on.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 30-Day Low-Carb Diet Solution, Nov. 27 2002
I would like to recommend the 30-day low-carb diet solution to
anyone who has ever tried to lose weight without success. I've
tried every program know to man and woman-kind! with no success.
Always losing and little weight and then gaining it all back,
plus a few pounds more. I've also tried the other low-carb diets.
Michael Eades makes it very plain, telling you exactly what to eat. I borrowed this book from a friend and I will buy my own
copy as soon as I can afford to. I've loss 12 pounds so far and
feel great to. I've told all of my co-workers and friend about this book and recommend highly.

3.0 out of 5 stars A small version of protein power....Protein Power is better!, Nov. 26 2002
David Barrett (Pittsburgh, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I was able to preview this book, and it's a smaller version of the first book protein power. What the Drs Eades did was make it more simple for the newbie dieter, but this book is of little use if you have the other books. The eades have made it more simple to calculate your protein needs, and the carbohydrate portions are the same as in protein power, but now instead of 5,10,15 gram serving suggestions, its small medium and large portions. This book would be nice for newbies, but if you have the original book its much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I've been looking for in a low-carb diet book!, Nov. 25 2002
By A Customer
This book is great! I've been hearing and reading so much about low-carb diets lately, and this book is perfect for me! The Eades tell you everything you need to know about low-carb diets without needing to read hundreds of pages of scientific explanation. They explain what you need to know in clear language and they lay out a plan to get you started on a low-carb diet immediately. This is exactly what I've been looking for!

5.0 out of 5 stars The 30-Day Low Carb Diet Solution, Dec 2 2002
By A Customer
This is the first diet book I've read that gives me hope that I can finally shed weight and keep it off. All of the other diet books I've read are too complex. The Eades have now given me the basic information to help me lose weight, along with recipes and a schedule of 30 days in order to see results. I'm about halfway through and I've already lost weight. I feel great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!!, Dec 12 2002
Bill (Ukiah, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Easy to read and understand. Worth the money if your serious about going low-carb. I've lost weight and no cravings. Thankyou Eades.

The 30-Day Low-Carb Diet Solution
The 30-Day Low-Carb Diet Solution by Mary Dan Eades (Paperback - Oct. 31 2003)
CDN$ 17.99 CDN$ 13.13