5.0 out of 5 stars Anxiety...Panic Attacks...Depression? Read on!
After my uncle, with whom I was very close, took his own life about 3 months ago, my life become almost unbearable. Anxiety, panic attacks, depression, re-occuring thoughts of very bad things, driving my wife crazy, you name it.
Published on July 13 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on May 31 2002 by Jack Daly

5.0 out of 5 stars Anxiety...Panic Attacks...Depression? Read on!, July 13 2004
By A Customer
Started to see a shrink, and use SSRI's. It was helping but not going the distance. This book helped bridge the gap. Not only did it help me understand what was happening, but also how to get past the underlying issues and deal with the symptoms. My shrink thought it was a good idea, too...PhD in psychology, not MD.
My advice: Do exactly as he suggests. Get a journal, document, name your Inner Child (you'll see) etc... It was odd and a bit scarey at first. I can not stress it enough. If you're going through the same terrifying BS I encountered, this is a must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing., March 20 2013
This review is from: Self-Coaching: The Powerful Program to Beat Anxiety and Depression (Paperback)
Reading this book certainly changed my life. I was stuck in a constant cycle of anxiety/depression and I finally decided to take control of my issues rather than waiting for them to go away. It seemed impossible to break out of it. I was resigned, hopeless.

Honestly this book helped me to realize I could help myself. By recognizing and journaling my thoughts it became simple to separate fictitious thoughts from factual ones. Its truly a self help book that teaches you to help yourself, rather than just telling you whats wrong with how you're feeling/thinking. Don't get me wrong, it's good to recognize that, but then what? The lessons Dr. Luciani shows you in this book will kick-start you on your path to a happier life.

This book will give you the power to understand and express your thoughts more easily, all while seeing them in another light entirely. You are not your thoughts.

If you are suffering from anxiety or depression at all and are looking for answers, buy this book. It will definitely help you on your journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Supplement of Self Help, March 1 2003
By A Customer
I enthusiastically agree with previous comments that this clear and useful book is a truly excellent supplement for self-help for mild depression and anxiety-worry. "Supplement" might mean as additional help (homework) while being treated by a psychiatrist or psychotherapist for more serious depression. Or, more commonly, this short and practical book makes a useful supplement as part of a longer, more thorough exploration of self-help resources for depression, anxiety, and worry -- perhaps longer books such as Feeling Good, or The Positive Power of Negative Thinking, or Undoing Depression, etc.. In my opinion, both short books and longer books have their places in the journey of self-understanding, self-help, and better living. Self-Coaching: How to Heal Anxiety and Depression by Joseph J. Luciani is one of the best short, practical supplements in print.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, May 31 2002
Jack Daly (South Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
This book would've been SO much more helpful had the author chosen a more mature, adult manner of addressing the inner, anxiety-producing voice as anything but "Insecure Child." This constant reference made it too difficult to appreciate whatever underlying truths the author may have gleaned. Doctors (and authors) need not "dumb down" their works to make them accessible to the general public. A disappointing read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile purchase, June 11 2014
I bought this book a while ago and find myself referring to it often. The method for dealing with anxiety has proven quite effective for me I would recommend it to anyone who suffers from anxiety.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a valuable resource, July 23 2013
The author goes right to the heart of the matter. I have found more good advice in this book than any other I have read. You will find this book both interesting and informative. I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomonally helpful.., June 18 2012
I am completely thankful that I was given the suggestion to purchase this book. I'm not even finished fully reading it and I'm already able to decifer alot of my own feelings and deal with things so well! Wonderfully written in a way that anyone can understand not large medical type terminology.I have recommended reading it to friends and some family that have small anxiety and depression issues. I fully recommend to anyone, read this book to help themself or someone they care about, the "tools" it provides are invaluable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Simplistic To Use As Strong Cognitive Based Tool..., July 3 2002
By A Customer
Ok I have purchased at least 25 books on Anxiety & Panic Attacks. This book really caught my attention with all the positive reviews, but when I saw the low price I became a little skeptical and this book falls into the cliche (You get what you pay for). The author takes his 7 steps, and tells you to memorize and apply them when you feel anxious and or depressed. Unfortunately for many people it doesn't work for them, and if it does then you probably are not that bad off to begin with.
If you are really looking to get better, and are looking for other options besides the meds then you need solid and proven tools. If you have the money and little time pick up Lucinda Bassette's Attacking Anxiety/Depression 16 tape and workbook program. If you have time and little money join a non for profit support group in your area. I gave the author two stars just because we need more literature on the disorder, and the biggest thing you can tell yourself if you suffer from anxiety like me is that its a disorder and not an illness. Take care...

5.0 out of 5 stars To the point and with depth, May 5 2004
By A Customer
If you suffer from depression or anxiety this is the best book. Undoing Depression by Richard O'Connor would be the second book you'd buy. Luciani has a Phd and has over twenty five years of experience. He has excellent communications skills; he doesn't waste time on meaningless or fancy words. The exercises are very helpful; there are screening and treatment exercises. It is a fast read with depth, a rarity. The skills you acquire from this book are life lasting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop worrying without the guilt!, April 20 2004
Judy (Yuba City, Ca. United States) - See all my reviews
My daughter was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. How could I not feel depressed, anxious and worried? I knew that my worry and anxiety was becoming a habit. I found that I actually felt guilty if I was not worrying! I was afraid that by not worrying, it was an indication that I didn't care what happened to my daughter. I found that I was caught up in a spiral of ongoing negativity. I was becoming the victim of my own thinking. Self-Coaching taught me the difference between circumstance-driven anxiety (that which is unavoidable) and insecurity-driven (that which is avoidable). When I began to address the other areas in my life (my insecurities) I was able to stop adding needless anxiety and rumination to my burden. Self-Coaching has given me the confidence, I need, to handle my insecurities, fears and anxieties. Dr. Luciani's book has truly been a God-send to me!

Self-Coaching: The Powerful Program to Beat Anxiety and Depression
Self-Coaching: The Powerful Program to Beat Anxiety and Depression by Joseph J. Luciani (Paperback - Dec 1 2006)
CDN$ 17.99 CDN$ 12.99