5.0 out of 5 stars Anxiety...Panic Attacks...Depression? Read on!
After my uncle, with whom I was very close, took his own life about 3 months ago, my life become almost unbearable. Anxiety, panic attacks, depression, re-occuring thoughts of very bad things, driving my wife crazy, you name it.
Published on July 13 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Simplistic To Use As Strong Cognitive Based Tool...
Published on July 3 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Anxiety...Panic Attacks...Depression? Read on!, July 13 2004
By A Customer
Started to see a shrink, and use SSRI's. It was helping but not going the distance. This book helped bridge the gap. Not only did it help me understand what was happening, but also how to get past the underlying issues and deal with the symptoms. My shrink thought it was a good idea, too...PhD in psychology, not MD.
My advice: Do exactly as he suggests. Get a journal, document, name your Inner Child (you'll see) etc... It was odd and a bit scarey at first. I can not stress it enough. If you're going through the same terrifying BS I encountered, this is a must read!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Simplistic To Use As Strong Cognitive Based Tool..., July 3 2002
By A Customer
Ok I have purchased at least 25 books on Anxiety & Panic Attacks. This book really caught my attention with all the positive reviews, but when I saw the low price I became a little skeptical and this book falls into the cliche (You get what you pay for). The author takes his 7 steps, and tells you to memorize and apply them when you feel anxious and or depressed. Unfortunately for many people it doesn't work for them, and if it does then you probably are not that bad off to begin with.
If you are really looking to get better, and are looking for other options besides the meds then you need solid and proven tools. If you have the money and little time pick up Lucinda Bassette's Attacking Anxiety/Depression 16 tape and workbook program. If you have time and little money join a non for profit support group in your area. I gave the author two stars just because we need more literature on the disorder, and the biggest thing you can tell yourself if you suffer from anxiety like me is that its a disorder and not an illness. Take care...

5.0 out of 5 stars To the point and with depth, May 5 2004
By A Customer
If you suffer from depression or anxiety this is the best book. Undoing Depression by Richard O'Connor would be the second book you'd buy. Luciani has a Phd and has over twenty five years of experience. He has excellent communications skills; he doesn't waste time on meaningless or fancy words. The exercises are very helpful; there are screening and treatment exercises. It is a fast read with depth, a rarity. The skills you acquire from this book are life lasting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop worrying without the guilt!, April 20 2004
Judy (Yuba City, Ca. United States) - See all my reviews
My daughter was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. How could I not feel depressed, anxious and worried? I knew that my worry and anxiety was becoming a habit. I found that I actually felt guilty if I was not worrying! I was afraid that by not worrying, it was an indication that I didn't care what happened to my daughter. I found that I was caught up in a spiral of ongoing negativity. I was becoming the victim of my own thinking. Self-Coaching taught me the difference between circumstance-driven anxiety (that which is unavoidable) and insecurity-driven (that which is avoidable). When I began to address the other areas in my life (my insecurities) I was able to stop adding needless anxiety and rumination to my burden. Self-Coaching has given me the confidence, I need, to handle my insecurities, fears and anxieties. Dr. Luciani's book has truly been a God-send to me!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Supplement of Self Help, March 1 2003
By A Customer
I enthusiastically agree with previous comments that this clear and useful book is a truly excellent supplement for self-help for mild depression and anxiety-worry. "Supplement" might mean as additional help (homework) while being treated by a psychiatrist or psychotherapist for more serious depression. Or, more commonly, this short and practical book makes a useful supplement as part of a longer, more thorough exploration of self-help resources for depression, anxiety, and worry -- perhaps longer books such as Feeling Good, or The Positive Power of Negative Thinking, or Undoing Depression, etc.. In my opinion, both short books and longer books have their places in the journey of self-understanding, self-help, and better living. Self-Coaching: How to Heal Anxiety and Depression by Joseph J. Luciani is one of the best short, practical supplements in print.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing., March 20 2013
This review is from: Self-Coaching: The Powerful Program to Beat Anxiety and Depression (Paperback)
Reading this book certainly changed my life. I was stuck in a constant cycle of anxiety/depression and I finally decided to take control of my issues rather than waiting for them to go away. It seemed impossible to break out of it. I was resigned, hopeless.

Honestly this book helped me to realize I could help myself. By recognizing and journaling my thoughts it became simple to separate fictitious thoughts from factual ones. Its truly a self help book that teaches you to help yourself, rather than just telling you whats wrong with how you're feeling/thinking. Don't get me wrong, it's good to recognize that, but then what? The lessons Dr. Luciani shows you in this book will kick-start you on your path to a happier life.

This book will give you the power to understand and express your thoughts more easily, all while seeing them in another light entirely. You are not your thoughts.

If you are suffering from anxiety or depression at all and are looking for answers, buy this book. It will definitely help you on your journey.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, May 31 2002
Jack Daly (South Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
This book would've been SO much more helpful had the author chosen a more mature, adult manner of addressing the inner, anxiety-producing voice as anything but "Insecure Child." This constant reference made it too difficult to appreciate whatever underlying truths the author may have gleaned. Doctors (and authors) need not "dumb down" their works to make them accessible to the general public. A disappointing read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific guide for your first steps!, Nov. 15 2002
C. K. Ogi (NW MO USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book on the recommendation of a friend, and as a 'compantion of sorts to 'Undoing Depression.' This was one of those rare self-help books that genuinely seems to be centered on that premise.
Luciani give a brilliant background to what you can get from self-helping, and explains it in a way that doesn't make you feel 1.) hopelessly inacapable of accomplishing relief from depression, 2.) explains the causes in a way that don't make you feel like a failure for developing the thought patterns in the first place, and 3.) doesn't use a lot of psychobabble, (save the exception of the inner child thing, which is just a personal irritant of mine) so you actually can see where he's tryig to get you to go.
I really liked his approach to focusing your recovery more internally and on reminding you that it's not an overnight process. Another appreciation I found was that he recongized how difficult changing these patterns can be...and so you expect those hurdles, rather than get discouraged yet again.
I found this to be an excellent book for anyone suffering mild to moderate depression. (And I recommend buying this as a companion to 'Undoing Depression,' so you really get a good sense of what you are working with) If you are severely depressed, you should probably work through more of it before tackling self-coaching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Not just for anxiety and depression!, Oct. 15 2002
Amazon Customer (SoCal - United States) - See all my reviews
This book is fantastic, not just for anxiety and depression, but for issues of self-esteem, shyness, excessive introversion, anger, perfectionism, etc. I am exploring all these things in therapy and with medication, but felt that there was something more, some common thread, common cause...and the author has found it.
This book really helps you get to the root problem that all these have in common. Deep-seated insecurity and lack of trust in oneself to handle what life throws at you. Hard to admit, but it is the beginning of healing. The author shows how this insecurity (what he calls the Insecure Child), tries to maintain control of oneself and the outside world through immature coping strategies learned in, and repeated since childhood.
If you are a self-help junkie like me who has read countless books, but the result has only been "understanding" your issues better, but never overcoming them, I urge you to give these techniques a try.
At first read, they seem too simplistic, to simple, but in simple things there is power. Give it a try! What have you got to lose, except the misery you're living in?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Deeply Humbling Experience, April 3 2002
By A Customer
As someone who has suffered from chronic anxiety, depression, and OCD for the past 10 years, all I can say is that Dr. Luciani's book has changed my life. I have seen multiple psychologists, psychiatrists, and other doctors (and taken different medications), and nothing has had the profound effect of this book. I have also shared this book with friends who have similar sufferings and just reading certain passages to them has profoundly changed their lives. With a one time psychiatry session costing $175 an hour, and medication and what not over time costing thousands you deserve to spend under 20 bucks for this. To be honest I would trade in all the other support vehicles (doctors, therpists, medication) I've dealt with the past 10 years for this book. It's that profound, and entirely on the mark. I can't say enough good things about it. Don't wait to start healing. By the way I buy tons of books from Amazon and this is the first one I've done a review for -- I think it's so important to share this book.

Self-Coaching: The Powerful Program to Beat Anxiety and Depression
Self-Coaching: The Powerful Program to Beat Anxiety and Depression by Joseph J. Luciani (Paperback - Dec 1 2006)
CDN$ 17.99 CDN$ 12.99