5.0 out of 5 stars This is my "bible" of investing
Published on Nov. 27 2001 by Tony Ursillo

3.0 out of 5 stars I know it's a classic
I know this is a classic but to be honest I found it a boring read with more story line than substance. It's okay.
Published 7 months ago by Brian McPherson

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my "bible" of investing, Nov. 27 2001
Tony Ursillo (Norwood, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I have a library of nearly 100 books about the markets. Reminiscences was the third book I ever read and it remains my "bible" more than a decade later. You might wonder how an 80-year old book about the stock market could still be relevant. Well, that is because financial markets are determined by human nature as much as anything else, and human nature acts today as it did a century ago. Greed, fear, herd thinking, impatience - those are the same influences that drive markets today and haunt traders and investors who are striving to make the right decisions. Many of the lessons that dictate my investment philosophy ("Cut your losses, let your winners run", "if you don't like the odds, don't bet") were taught to me by the protagonist, who is the fictional characterization of the legendary Jesse Livermore. That he tells his stories with such color and suspense makes the book completely entertaining beyond its invaluable trading lessons. BUY THIS BOOK FOR YOURSELF. BUY ANOTHER ONE FOR A FRIEND (I've given 4 copies). You'll not only improve your own investing results, but your gift will impress as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars the book is interesting, but has thousands of scanner errors, Jan. 2 2014
the book is interesting, but has thousands of scanner errors. Amazon should had paid attention on that. but i recommend it anyway

5.0 out of 5 stars must read for anyone interested in the markets., June 10 2014
This review is from: Reminiscences of a Stock Operator (Paperback)
After all these years, this book is relevant even in todays turbulant market. This book is a classic and should be read by anyone currently in the markets or thinking about getting invloved in trading the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars and you thought HFT was bad!, May 23 2014
This review is from: Reminiscences of a Stock Operator (Paperback)
This is a must read for all Wall St participants and traders. A great look back at what the stock market used to be. Worth the $18s for the book just to read about the bucket shops of yore. I think it's important to read the author's bio afterwards to realise that there are more important lessons to learn in life than those about money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest Book On Investing Ever! - You MUST Read IT!, May 18 2014
After getting some great knowledge about how to handle growth stocks in The Perfect Trader: How To Make Money Trading Stocks Like The Investing Legends (A great book by the way) I realized I wanted to learn the root of trading. It constantly refers to the great Jesse Livermore as an Investing Legend.

So if I wanted to know more about the root of trading stocks, there's no better place to start off than the great life of Jesse Livermore! His life was truly amazing as he went from rags to riches several times. Each time he touched the bottom he managed to learn some great insights from his errors. My favorite part remains “the old partridge” one as it really says it all “it’s a bull market you know!” You learn the habiIity to sit tight with a great stock.

JL was a trader who understands very well that the way to make big money in the market was by acting only when the odds "favor our play".

Here are some of my favorite Livermore's quotes worth studying to become a better trader:

-"There's nothing new in Wall Street, there can't be because speculation is as old as the hills"
-"I have come to feel that it is a necessary to know how to read myself as to know how to read the tape"
-"It never was my thinking that made me money. It always was my sitting. My sitting tight, got that!"

I highly recommend this book to every traders, new or experienced ones!

3.0 out of 5 stars I know it's a classic, Dec 20 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the Best, Oct. 7 2008
Radek Dobias - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reminiscences of a Stock Operator (Paperback)
This is a classic book on trading and market speculation, and is still the best introduction to the subject. The author was one of the most successful traders of all time, gaining and losing massive fortunes multiple times in his life. The experience that is passed on in the book is priceless and accelerates one's development as a trader immensely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading., July 30 2014
Fascinating look at he early 1900s. The OCR made a number of typos.

1.0 out of 5 stars This Dog Has Fleas...., Aug. 2 1998
By A Customer
I bought this book a couple of years ago, because of a reference in John Train's 'The Money Masters'. In fact....the book contained the exact quote used in Harry Edwards review above. Nice quote, but thats it.
The book is amusing enough, and I found the discussion about 'bucket shops' and various investment practices in the largely unregulated early 20th century interesting.
But, of course, you are never told how the hell to know whether to 'sit tight' or sell. There is really nothing specific or useful to anyone trying to make money in any market - legally, at least.
Perhaps a little market history - the fact that markets rise and fall, will be useful to some people.
A much better, and more amusing view of investment excesses can be found in the John Rothchild's highly entertaining 'A Fool and His Money'. Note that this book preceeded, and has absolutely no connection with the popular 'Motley Fools'
Addendum - Dec 21, 2002. Original August 2, 1998.
I am amazed at all the positive reviews -- and I am down at the bottom of the review section, so I doubt many people will plow down to see this.
And, is everyone clear that:
1. This is a fiction - not a biography.
2. It was ghostwritten by a newspaperman.
3. Jessie Livermore died broke.
4. A lot of the "techniques" have been illegal for decades (ie Pools).
I guess that I find the incredibly positive reviews to be an interesting fact. Hope the reviewer's are on the other side of my trades.
Rent the DVDs "Boiler Room" or "Wall Street"

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, May 25 2004
I bought this book after it was mentioned on the book Market Wizards. After I finished reading it, I found myself going back to it over and over again. This is a must read book for anyone that is really interesting in how the trading markets work in real life. It's brilliant, funny... Great!!!!!!!

Reminiscences of a Stock Operator
Reminiscences of a Stock Operator by Edwin Lefèvre (Paperback - Jan. 17 2006)
CDN$ 27.99 CDN$ 17.55