4.0 out of 5 stars Treasure Found!
Published on July 30 2002 by enerald

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment
This is NOT a good book for a beginner in Knitted lace.
I am an experienced knitter but have not knitted lace for years - I was once fairly expert, I earned pocket money while a medical student by knitting circular Shetland lace baby shawls to order. Even so, I found this book of little use in getting back into this area.
There are virtually no general...
Published on Jan. 2 2004 by Liz, a knitter

4.0 out of 5 stars Treasure Found!, July 30 2002
"enerald" (Millmerran, Queensland Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: First Book of Modern Lace Knitting (Paperback)
After almost giving up in despair, I found a copy of this book in our local library (pop or 3200) and found myself in lace knitting (or is it knitted lace?) heaven. Explanations are simple and concise, as are both diagrams and charts. I adapted one of the smaller patterns using overlocking thread and size 1.50mm needles and made a 4ft sq tablecloth as my son's wedding gift. It took approx 285 hours, but it was magnificent (even went through MY wedding ring and I'm 5ft! If you can knit, purl, make 1, then this is the book for you to enter the realm of fantasy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, Jan. 2 2004
Liz, a knitter (Isle of Arran, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: First Book of Modern Lace Knitting (Paperback)
This is NOT a good book for a beginner in Knitted lace.
There are virtually no general instructions and the layout of the patterns is unnecessarily complicated
Try Jan Eaton's book instead

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, June 18 2014
Debbie the book junkie in Ontario "maybaby" (Hamilton, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've owned this book for a number of years (17 years?)....yes, it is a bit antiquated but it was originally published when there were no real compendiums of lace knitting available and when there was only simple publishing methods available.
It is very straight forward and an ambitious beginner should have no problem as Kinzel's instructions are very precise and easy to follow.
I've been lace knitting for 20 years...I think this book is worth every penny you pay for it as is it's companion book.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Disappointed, June 12 2013
This review is from: First Book of Modern Lace Knitting (Paperback)
I guess really I could give the book a higher rating but it seemed a bit old fashioned. The articles weren't something that I would make. Again, for someone who enjoys knitting lace doilies etc. this is the book for them. It is well put together and certainly a lot of work has been put in to it. The author does beautiful work.

First Book of Modern Lace Knitting
First Book of Modern Lace Knitting by Marianne Kinzel (Paperback - June 1 1972)
CDN$ 17.50 CDN$ 12.59