5.0 out of 5 stars Action-packed, hilarious, vulgar ... brilliant!
Francois-Marie Arouet (pen name Voltaire) was one of the greatest thinkers of 18th-century Europe. In his brief novella CANDIDE -- which takes less than two hours to read -- he explains the purpose of human existence, with brilliant observations and witty humor. Voltaire offers up numerous philosophies devised by the greatest minds in history, none of which makes the...
Published on Aug. 30 2003 by burghtenor

3.0 out of 5 stars Candid About Candide
The style of exposition used in this book is reminiscent of The Misfortunes of Virtue by the Marquis de Sade. Voltaire presents a catalog of calamities meant to debunk the belief that our world is perfect, and that everything happens "for the best" according to some divine plan. While there is no doubt that Candide is persuasive in its comical misadventures, the...
Published on July 14 2004 by Sean K.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 411 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A quick, yet powerful read, June 20 2002
Sat Garcia (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Candide (Paperback)
I first read "Candide" when I was still in HS, around 4 or 5 years ago. Maybe it was because I was forced to read it for a class, but I really didn't "get it" back then. Having some free time while I waited for my next amazon.com book order to arrive, I decided to pick up "Candide" once again. This time around, my experience was much more enlightening.
"Candide" revolves around the title character, who has had it instilled upon him by Dr. Pangloss, his personal philosopher, that we live in the "best of all possible worlds." After seeing Pangloss fooling around with the chambermaid, Candide decided to replicate the acts with the Lady Cunegonde. After being discovered by the Baron, Candide is swiftly kicked (on his rump) out of Westphalia. This sets into motion a long and unbelievable set of events. Candide travels across half the known world in hopes of once again being reunited with Lady Cunegonde. Calamity upon calmity is witnessed by Candide yet he remains steadfast in his belief that everything works out for the best. To fully understand the insanity that marks this book you have to read it for yourself. I would do it an injustice it by saying anything further. I will say that the ending is quite a change of pace from the rest of the book.
Although it isn't hard to discern that this story is wholy unrealistic, it is written in such a way that you feel it is somewhat plausible. This might stem from the fact that our society has done a 180 and is composed mainly of cynics and pessimists. Although it was written around 250 years ago, many of the basic issues that Voltaire attacks are still around today. While we don't have the Inquisition murdering people today, religious intolerance is still deep rooted in many humans.
There are many reasons I so highly recommend this book. It is a quick read, something you can finish in only a couple hours. It also has several fantastical scenes that will leave you chuckling in disbelief. Finally, it is a good book to see exactly how much our world (at least the Western half) has changed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cynicism as poetry., April 1 2002
Diamonds, they say, are made from graphite. Voltaire has here written a gem of a story from the unpromising material of cynicism and farce. Don't try this at home -- apart from genius, it will fall flat -- but Candide ripples with wit.
Leibnetz, it is true, is hardly a household name today. But I expect Candide was also meant to be a sword-thrust into the soft underbelly of theism, the "Problem of Pain." While orthodox Christians do not claim this to be the "best of all possible worlds" (rather, a fallen one), the chaotic and apparently senseless troubles in it seem to a lot of us, too, to be the best argument against our faith. Voltaire twists the knife well. I was glad to see that though he excels, and delights, in mockery, the story functions ultimately as what may be an honest question, like that of Job or of Solomon. (In fact, ironically, the book Candide most reminds me of is Ecclesiastes.)
In one regard, at least, Candide is less true to life than the Biblical point of view, however. Thousands die here, but no one is begotten. The insanity of life is celebrated to the full, but its beauty and wonder are not squarely faced. The one-sidedness of Voltaire's approach lessens it as a work of philosophy, in my opinion. I couldn't help but reflect that many in the 20th Century went into the hell-holes of communist prisons, where every horror Candide and his friends experienced occurred, and more (the atheists of the 20th Century were also, in their own ways, ingenious), yet emerged with a strong belief in God. (Even some, like Solzhenitsyn, who went in as atheists.) Why is that? Philosophy, it seems to me, needs to face all sides of a question. This Voltaire hardly pretends to do: the book is a question, not an answer. But as satire on premature answers, it sizzles.
If all Voltaire's books contain cannabalism, libel, bestiality, and philosophical arguments based on slapstick humor, I can hardly blame the authorities for burning them. Being something of a Puritan myself, I docked Voltaire a star. Let that be a lesson.
The introduction by Andre Maurois is excellent.
author, Jesus and the Religions of Man

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a good read, March 15 2002
Bill R. Moore (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
As a closet pessimist, I have often come across - and scoffed at - the notion that we live in the "best of all possible worlds." The must be so, of course, because the great God almighty is omniscent, omnipotent, omnibenevolent - in short, perfect, and cannot make a mistake. Therefore, all the seemingly needless suffering, trials, and tribulations that are inherent in our world - i.e., airplanes crashing into buildings - are actually for the better, for the greater good, because everything, EVERYTHING - no matter how seemingly cruel and inhumane - is part of the Big Guy's Great Cosmic Plan. Every action has a purpose, and that purpose is (perpetually) benign.
All of which is fine, except...
Have you looked at the world lately? I have, and, it seems to me that there are, to put it delicately, Several Flaws In This Plan. I watched two airplanes crash into two major American buildings, needlessly killing thousands, and I find it somewhat hard to believe, to put it lightly, that this is the "best of all possible worlds." I'm sure most you do as well... or else you probably wouldn't be reading this, now would you?
And yet, in the 18th Century time period when this book was written, just such a philosophy was popular (perhaps "rampant" is a more accurate term) among the heavy, high-brow philosophers of the day. Candide (subtitled "Optimism") is Voltaire's refutation of the notion. The writing is heavily sarcastic and burlesque - not to mention dark - as any good satire must be. It contains much delicate gallows humor. It reminds me of nothing (and I realize this is an obvious case of putting the carriage years before the horse) so much as our dearly beloved 20th century Doomsday Prophet Laurete, Kurt Vonnegut. Certainly, as this was in essence an ephermal political satire of the time in which it was written, Candide is not, perhaps as technically valid to our present "modern-day" society as the work of a, say, Vonnegut. As the book is primarily a reaction to the notion in question (that of all-pervading and naive optimism), and not an explanation of it picking its faults specifically (which is to say, it does not explain the nature of what it is refuting, assuming the reader already knows), much of the sarcasm has been lost through the years. One would need a general knowledge of 18th century philosophy to appreciate all the points that the book tries to make. However, Voltaire's main messages are certainly clear enough, and just as valid today as they ever were - and always will be. Read Candide - it's a dark, funny, irrevently hilarous and enlightening satire on man and his naive, optimistic folly and fallacious outlook. Even if you don't like the book - unlikely, if you have already waded through my review this far - I guarantee that you will respect it, and that it will make you think - and, perhaps, get you to question certain notions that you may have held unquestioningly throughout your life. Essential 18th century literature.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing in the best possible way, Feb. 4 2002
One of the most popular philosophical ideas in Europe during the eighteenth century was that of "all is for the best in the best of all possible worlds". It was the catch-phrase for Leibniz's argument that because god had created the world, everything was made to occur for the best because god's creations couldn't be evil. So even events that seem tragic and pointless are actually part of some larger, cosmically good plan that mere humans can't see. Therefore we should all accept our fate, and know that everything happens for the best, because we live in the best of all possible worlds.
Voltaire, a man who had twice been imprisoned in the Bastille and then exiled, thought this was a crock of you-know-what. Candide, subtitled Optimism, is his satirical response to this idea. Clearly humour was one of Voltaire's strong assets; Candide is quite funny. Many critics say that the characters aren't well developed, but I think that they're broadly drawn on purpose. I believe that one of the reasons Candide still works in our time is that we can identify the characters with people we know, and so we can follow their relationships and actions. For example, the old woman (who is never named) has seen what life has to offer, and cannot be surprised by anything anymore. I'm sure we all know at least one person like this. And Pangloss is basically a self-help guru, spouting out feel-good nonsense and getting paid a lot of money for his time. Candide is also somewhat short on dialog versus explication, but I didn't mind it.
However, the major drawback is that Candide was written in the eighteenth century, when the idea of the best possible world was so popular. Therefore the book is not an explanation and then rebuttal of it. Candide is only Voltaire's shout of disgust with it, and so the original idea is not addressed in any depth. In order to recover a large amount of the sarcasm, one would have to be fairly proficient in eighteenth-century philosophy.
Even with this weakness, I still found Candide a funny, enjoyable short read, and that Voltaire's basic ideas came through in the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Life is a Hogwash of Toils, Jan. 28 2002
In Candide, Voltaire chronicles the travels and travails of a group of perenial optimists despite the many harsh and cruel blows life deals these people. By experiencing murder, beating, torture, censorship, banishment, theft, and slavery this group of loosely tied adventurers inquire about the most intricate details of life's philosophies in the most lighthearted and witty quips centering around God's general plan for the betterment of society as a whole and the individual sacrifices and seemingly absurd happenstances needed to occur for this greater progress to occur.
This seems to culminate in discussions around drunken card games held at baron's and other highly-esteemed officials pallaces where there thousands of dust-collecting books seems to be the ultimate symbolic farce of the pointlessness of societal mores and trivial critical establishments. Afterwards, after many unlikely events and quick turnarounds from despair to wealthy gleeming back to gloomy hopelessness, Candide and his journeyman Martin come across other mentors and enemies from his past, as well as his long sought after lover Cunegonde, to find them in the most deplorable conditions and with many regrets, but yet with unflayling blind optimism.
The book greatly picks up from their journey into the utopian like village of El Dorado onwards and then gains the respect that has been hyped upon it. However, I still think this is overrated and maybe the translation has lost some of the supposed wit and fancy of the original Frenchman's work and his rhyme and prose style.
In the end, we are all left to create our own Garden of Eden from whatever limited/superfluous environments affordable and available to us and make the best of the people, places, culture, and tools to us. You can loose your mind and you will be among the many who have lost their minds, certainly in the majority and only by crossing that boundary of supposed weakness can you transcend the peculiar weaknesses of the mind and body.
A toast to Voltaire for his lively and everlasting work!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best of All Worlds, Dec 4 2001
Voltaire's short 1759 lampoon of the fashionable feel-good philosophies then making the rounds of Europe continues to bring a smile. It's not a literary masterpiece, but a quick and funny satire. In style, it reads something like Swift's "Gulliver's Travels", but its humor is more pointed and its satire more trenchant.
Candide is an illegitimate boy expelled from his adoptive home for kissing the Baron's daughter. A simple and candid man, he resolutely adheres to his tutor's absurd theory that "all is for the best". In coming years, Candide and everyone he meets suffer tortures, rapes, slavery, and death. Yet Candide remains ever the silly optimist, chasing the Baron's daughter around the world and giving Voltaire space to vent against the happy feel-good philosophers with their buzzwords, tautological reasoning, and empty aphorisms. The tutor, for example, demonstrates the "necessity" of syphillus, as having brought chocolate to Europe though "it is to be observed that this malady is, like religious controversy, peculiar to our continent".
Candide is a quick satire, silly and contrived, but we can read it with pleasure 250 later, long after the targets of Voltaire's wit have faded away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Have you ever read Volatire's Candide?, Dec 3 2001
It says live life at Benny Hill freak out speed.
--- The Bloodhound Gang
Not quite, but on to the review.
Candide may be both difficult and easy for people to read; it's a very quick novel and can be finished within two hours, but the scope of said novel is huge. The protaganist, Candide, is a young German nobleman who experiences many things in a very short period of time; finding love, losing love, finding love, losing lose, finding ugly love, etc. Meanwhile, he experiences earthquakes, storms, whippings, the death of friends and even comes across the fabled city of El Dorado when he happenstances upon the Americas. Candide shouldn't be read for it's character development - it should be read for it's message. One thing I must add is the virulent anti-semitism which is found in this book. Apparently, Voltaire was a strong anti-semite. This discovery greatly lowered my opinion of him.
Still, Candide is a must read for anyone interested in classical literature of important medieval thought.

2.0 out of 5 stars so-so, Nov. 11 2001
David L. Bernard (Berkley, Michigan USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Candide (Paperback)
I studied philosophy in college. A professor who taught us about Leibniz, theodicy, and similar subjects mentioned Candide to the class. Ten years later, I still am interested in philosophy but with the challenges of career and life in general, I'm interested in readable, not overly long books in philosophy to read. I thought Candide fit the bill. Well, it is very readable and brief. As far as being an entertaining read, it was only so-so. The story moves very quickly but the narration style is very weak. The author tells you that things happened, without showing you. The story is funny occasinally, but as a whole it was a very mediocre read. As philosophy, it makes its main point about the existence of evil (that things do not always work out for the best) very well, but that point is not too difficult to make. Voltaire is a great figure in the intellectual history of the west, but I don't think that a lot of what he wrote is still widely read (Candide is an exception) because the battles he wages (the anti-clerical, pro-scientific, etc.)have been won. So, the end result seems banal and not at all daring, which in its day I imagine it was. If you want to read something to expand your mind or if you want a good literary experience, I would pass.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine edition of Voltaire and invaluable contextual material, June 27 2001
First off, this new edition of "Candide" has numerous virtues, not the least of which is the amazing erudition invested in the explanatory footnotes that run the length of Voltaire's text. Wootton puts his (and others') knowledge of this masterpiece to good use, and his clarifications are invaluable, helping both to situate Voltaire's thought in the context of his own life and culture, and to resurrect some of the more historically specific humor that has, sadly, been bled away by the last two and a half centuries. Why is it funny, for example, that Voltaire sends his naive protagonist first to the Bulgars? Wootton tells you.
Second, the wealth of contextual material is great for enlarging the reader's understanding of the intellectual climate that Voltaire is critiquing. The Leibniz summary chosen is a bit opaque (small bits of the "Theodicee" would have worked better towards explaining the basics of Leibniz, or at least Voltaire's merciless version of Leibniz), but the portions of Pope and the excerpts of Voltaire's correspondence are enlightening.
The translation is, by and large, very good. We lose a little humor (which always happens in translation), as when the baron's wife is said, due to her weight, to be "regarded as a person of substance" (2); Voltaire here says that, due to her weight, she "s'attirait par là une très grande considération [attracted great consideration]," a wee comical nod to Newtonian physics that must be seen as the first scientific pun of many to come.
This is minor, but another moment of the translation gives me great pause, and, judging from Wootton's impassioned introductory defense of his decision, it must have given him greater pause. Most translations of "Candide" have reliably rendered the famous final lines as "we must cultivate our garden," or something to that effect. Very few have dared omit the word "garden." Wootton delivers it as "we must work our land," and he defends his choice with a well-reasoned appeal to Voltaire's cultural context and correspondence, and claims further that the great symbolic appeal of the "Garden of Eden" image was largely behind the traditional rendering of the line as "we must cultivate our garden." The problem with his defense is not just that Voltaire's line bluntly (and literally) reads "il faut cultiver notre jardin [we must cultivate our garden]," but that the Garden of Eden resonance of which Wootton is so wary is not imported by the reader but rather quite present in "Candide," and even in Wootton's translation of "Candide." When, on page 3 of this translation, Candide is "driven out of the Garden of Eden," he begins a motion that will eventually cycle him back, older and wiser, to a different garden, one drained of religious specificity but not resonance. By tampering with Voltaire's last line, Wootton's translation robs the narrative of its aggressive insistence on this return.
This is fairly nit-picky stuff, though, and any reader can keep the translation difficulties squarely in mind, since Wootton makes--to his credit--no attempt to conceal them. So what you have, in the end, then, is a largely faithful and superbly readable rendition of a work that does not fail, to this day, to make us think, laugh, and feel ashamed. Unpalatable social insitutions like slavery fall under Voltaire's sharp attack, as does the particular cruelty of which organized religion has shown itself capable. The guileless protagonist is back in vogue (see the tributes to Candide in Boyle's "Tortilla Curtain" and Groom's "Forrest Gump"), as candid as ever. For [the price], that's a lot of bang for your buck.

5.0 out of 5 stars CANDIDE - THE TRUE LOVER, Feb. 1 2001
This review is from: Candide (Paperback)
CANDIDE IS ONE THE BEST LOVE STORIES OF ALL TIMES. THE BOOK MADE ME LAUGH, CRY, HATE, BUT MOST ALL LOVE AND SEE THAT TRUE LOVE WILL ALWAYS FIND IT TRUE END. I WAS CAPTURED BY ALL THE CHARACTERS, AND PLACES IN THIS WONDERFUL BOOK. CANDIDE FORBIDDEN LOVE TO MADAME CONGANDE ROYALTY TO THIS COMMONER, CANDIDE. HIS QUEST TO FORGET AND YET BE UNITED TO HIS MOST BELOVED. PROFESSOR PENGLOSS OUT LOOK ON LIFE; THAT WHATEVER HAPPENS IN LIFE IS MEANT TO BE THAT WAY - SETS FORTH THE IDEOLOGY "THAT WE HAVE NO CONTROL OVER OUR DESTINY." COMPARE THAT WITH CONGONDE'S MILITARY BROTHER THAT BELIEVED THAT ONE CAN SET AND CONQUER ONES DESTINY.
CANDIDE SHIPWRECKED EXPERIENCE IN ELDORADO WAS JUST GREAT, SHOWING THAT UTOPIA AND UNITY EXIST SOMEWHERE. BUT ALAS CANDIDE CHOSEN COURSE WAS TO LEAVE THIS PLACE OF PERFECT PEACE AND UNITY AND TO SEEK FOREVER HIS TRUE PEACE AND UNITY, HIS BELOVED MADAME CONGONDE.
THIS IS A MUST READ BOOK SHORT AND SWEET I RATE THIS BOOK A TRUE CLASSIC
HENRY

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 411 | Next ›

Candide
Candide by Voltaire (Paperback - Jan. 1 1991)
CDN$ 4.00