5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for young readers
I remember reading this collection of poems when I was a little kid. My dad bought it for me and we'd read the poems together before I went to bed. Stevenson seemed to have a good understanding of how to talk to a child("Bed in Summer" was a favorite!).
I've given copies of this book to a niece and a friend for her young daughter. It's certainly a book that should be...
Published on Jan. 7 2003 by PenName

3.0 out of 5 stars A Portable, Usable 'Child's Garden of Verses'
Everyone knows Robert Louis Stevenson; everyone has at least one of the myriad books of his poetry. There are some stunningly illustrated collections of his poetry out now, notably two by Thomas Kincaide, among others. But how many of us have actually read all or most of his work? I'm guilty as charged.
This smaller, quieter version of Stevenson's poetry helped...
Published on April 12 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars A Child's Garden of Verses, Jan. 19 2000
By A Customer
Stevenson originally published these poems in 1885. The words and ideas are old-fashioned and a little dry. This book makes a worthwhile companion to others in a poetry study. Contains excellent color illustrations and will be of interest to teachers and students from K through the 4th grade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent poetry for children, April 28 2000
Tiffany Chang (Fremont, California) - See all my reviews
Stevenson describes children's points of view very carefully and thouroughly...this book will make you smile. Though it is missing some of his best works, notice how, on the cover, it says "CHILDREN'S VERSES" OK?

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a must have book for the Children's library., Nov. 10 1996
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: A Child's Garden of Verses (Paperback)
Stevenson is wonderful and the children's rhymes in this compilation are timeless. This should be on every parent's and grandparent's shelf

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic Poetry, Some Good, Some Not, Jan. 20 2009
Nicola Mansfield (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
I have mixed opinions of this collection of poems. I read this aloud to my older son several years ago and he loved the poems, he even memorized several of them. He especially had fun memorizing My Shadow. I've just now finished reading it to my 8yo and have to say he was not impressed. We read a two-page spread every school day as part of our homeschool. Though the poems are written for children, they are written for Victorian children and the 8yo didn't understand half of the words used so we spent a lot of time discussing what each poem was really about and how it applied to things he would recognize in his life today. Sometime he'd think the poem was OK and he didn't dread me reading it but mostly he just thought they were boring. Myself, there are several of the popular poems that I think are wonderful: Bed in Summer, My Shadow, and Picture Books in Winter especially. Some others I'd rather do without.

This edition is particularly nice as it is profusely illustrated with sometimes several pictures per poem by contemporary children's book artists of the time such as Jessie Wilcox Smith and C.M. Burd along with a host of others. I just love the illustrations and could pull this book off the shelf and just browse through it for pure enjoyment. The 8yo though did not appreciate the old-fashioned pictures especially when he couldn't tell the boys from the girls. However, this is poetry I think every child should be exposed to, some will enjoy, others will not. For one, my son will forever remember the name "Robert Louis Stevenson".

A Child's Garden of Verses
A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson (Paperback - Sept. 30 1992)
CDN$ 3.25