5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for young readers
I remember reading this collection of poems when I was a little kid. My dad bought it for me and we'd read the poems together before I went to bed. Stevenson seemed to have a good understanding of how to talk to a child("Bed in Summer" was a favorite!).
I've given copies of this book to a niece and a friend for her young daughter. It's certainly a book that should be...
Published on Jan. 7 2003 by PenName

2.0 out of 5 stars A Child's Garden of Verses
I ordered this edition because the review said it had beautiful color illustrations - This book is in black and white - there is no color and it's very small - only around 6 inches tall _ I am sending it back - how very misleading! This was supposed to be a gift - I am very disappointed!.
Published on Sept. 18 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars A Portable, Usable 'Child's Garden of Verses', April 12 2000
By A Customer
Everyone knows Robert Louis Stevenson; everyone has at least one of the myriad books of his poetry. There are some stunningly illustrated collections of his poetry out now, notably two by Thomas Kincaide, among others. But how many of us have actually read all or most of his work? I'm guilty as charged.
This smaller, quieter version of Stevenson's poetry helped me finally, actually read all the Garden poetry. True, the illustrations are spare, but delightfully accurate. My children (7 and 10) were not as mesmerized by this book as they are by others with fanciful graphics, illustrations and larger type to accompany the poetry.
Still, this small book found its way into my purse to be used for waiting moments, e.g. at the orthodontist, doctor, and also to my bedside, where it's shear diminutive size did not dissuade me from reading "for only a minute or two." And within Stevenson's words and language lie the ferment of creative pictures. I liked to have my children close their eyes while I read short poems to 'force' them to use only their mind's eye.
I thoroughly enjoyed the adventures, moods, and images Stevenson conjures and at long last can understand why his poetry remains so classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Child's Garden of Verses, Jan. 19 2000
By A Customer
Stevenson originally published these poems in 1885. The words and ideas are old-fashioned and a little dry. This book makes a worthwhile companion to others in a poetry study. Contains excellent color illustrations and will be of interest to teachers and students from K through the 4th grade.

1.0 out of 5 stars Puffin Classics edition is incomplete; buy another instead., April 8 1999
By A Customer
(That "one star" is for this edition only.) The [1994?] Penguin Classics reissue of this title, which I purchased from Amazon last year, is incomplete. It omits the fourth and last verse of the poem "Marching Song." I don't know if there are any other omissions. So buy some other edition. And while you're at it, pick up a copy of three-time U.S. National Scottish Fiddling champion Bonnie Rideout's newest award-winning CD, titled "Gimme Elbow Room," billed as a child's introduction to Scottish music, but charming and entertaining for all ages. Stevenson's verses, Mother Goose, and quite a few clever surprises. Also available here from Amazon is her "Celtic Circles," the most beautiful album that I own. Buy it too! And "A Scottish Christmas" as well.
JDM

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a must have book for the Children's library., Nov. 10 1996
By A Customer
This review is from: A Child's Garden of Verses (Paperback)
Stevenson is wonderful and the children's rhymes in this compilation are timeless. This should be on every parent's and grandparent's shelf

A Child's Garden of Verses
A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson (Paperback - Sept. 30 1992)
CDN$ 3.25