Published on June 30 2013 by Ladybug

2.0 out of 5 stars ugh
i know she is supposed to be one of the classic greats, but i just can't get into her writing (i force myself because i feel that i should read the classics, if only to make me a well rounded reader). i found the book slow going and to be quite honest, boring.
Published on May 18 1999 by adead_poet@hotmail.com

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A witty woman, a display of stupidity and a parade of bizarre marriages, June 30 2013
Ladybug (Montreal, Qc) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Paperback)
In her second novel, Jane Austen tells the story of Elizabeth Bennet, a bright 21 year-old woman, who is determined to marry only if she has the deepest love and respect for her future husband. Those are not her feelings when she first encounters Mr Darcy, who at first seems like a pride and cold gentleman. In fact she prefers Mr Wickham, an old acquaintance of Mr Darcy who considers himself as having been wrongfully treated by him. But is this truly the case or will Mr Darcy, upon further acquaintance, reveal himself to be more than the personification of pride itself?

Of all Jane Austen’s novels, this one remains my absolute favorite for here she depicts with wit and humor all that she sees of human stupidity in Mr Collins , silliness in Mrs Bennet and her 3 younger daughters, as well as cynicism in Mr Bennet. This romantic novel is also a parade of the most bizarre of marriages: from loveless to senseless, without forgetting a catastrophic elopement, Pride and Prejudice has it all. But all this would be nothing without the presence of the spirited Elizabeth Bennet and Mr Darcy who’s many encounters and witty/intellectual matches makes me love them and consider them as one of Jane Austen’s most powerful couple. This is simply a masterpiece.

For more about this book and many more, visit my blog at :

ladybugandotherbookworms.blogspot.com

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless Classic, Oct. 11 2009
Bart Breen "Bart Breen" (Sterling, VA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Paperback)
This seems a somewhat redundant exercise reviewing a book that already stands as an English language classic and example of free indirect speech. Even if most people could not necessarily recount the plot and characters, the countless editions of the book, combined with movies and literary spinoffs stand in testimony to it as a cultural icon. There are not many who would not recognize the book by name and have some sense of its position and impact.

This review then cannot do much more than to echo these commonly known facts and direct attention specifically to the Kindle edition of the book which was downloaded as a free public domain book and which I confess, my first time reading the entire book as originally written. The strength of the book and timeless qualities of it can be affirmed by the attention that it elicited from me. I was able to enter into the plot and see both the masterful writing as well as the true insight into human nature that this book represents. Apart from a few typos and the chapters not being very well differentiated, I had little difficulty wanting to return to my Kindle to continue the read and glad for the experience.

This is one of the most appealing elements of the Kindle in my estimation. There are so many books in the public domain that provides an opportunity for the reader who has heard of and knows the place and importance of a particular book who can then download the book and take the opportunities during the day (and for me of a long commute) and fill the gaps in one's reading by pulling books that have stood the test of time as well as the convenience of the newer books that are available at a considerable discount over the new Hardback price.

What a pleasure to read and more yet to come in the days ahead.

5 Stars for the novel AND the medium!

Bart Breen

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice plunge into the past, March 8 2008
ELI (Italy) (Italy) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Paperback)
The core character in this novel is Elizabeth, an attractive and intelligent 20 year-old and the second daughter (out of five) of Mr. and Mrs. Bennet. . Her mother's main interest is to see her five daughters, all eligible, nicely settled down and married to respectable and rich gentlemen.
Elizabeth's personality, very unlike her mother's, unfolds throughout the pages in a crescendo of emotions resulting from various issues connected with the whole family saga and especially to her own contrasting feelings towards a certain young man, Mr. Darcy. Will Elizabeth's passionate and sensible nature, combined with a certain degree of boldness (for those days), make her discover what lies beyond his seemingly unpleasant and unreadable personality?
The graceful politeness in the prose is charming, delineating a faithful image of life at the end of the 18th century in England.

The intrigues beyond wished-for marriages are very accurately described by Ms. Austen, with a touch of humour "hither and thither". I could not help myself comparing similar issues with nowadays. Beyond the characterisation and a part from the language, style and general progress, I believe that human nature, as depicted, is the same as it always was and it is not all just about "love", it is also about people attempting to incorporate into a higher position in society, seeking integration at a greater level. It was also interesting, I thought, to see how relevant (or irrelevant) the "worth" bestowed on the female gender was back then, compared to the present day in most societies. This, combined with the rapidity with which one fell in love, got engaged and/or was forbidden or denied to marry, could be stimulating subjects for ensuing conversations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey, I know these characters!, Feb. 22 2000
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Paperback)
My 13 year old daughter and I just finished reading this book and LOVED it! As we read the book, we kept noticing that many of the characters remind us of people we know! It was funny, and really says a lot for Jane Austen's insight on human nature. Her characters are very realistic in my opinion.
We learned from the book that in Jane Austen's time in England, it was very important to say and do the right things and to be excruciatingly polite. P&P can be tedious to read until you get used to the way they talk, but once you do it really makes it even more amusing to read.
I tried to read P&P once before a few years ago, but I only got about a third of the way through the book. I just couldn't understand it well enough. I would recommend to anyone who was put off by the book to give it another chance. See one of the excellent videos first if you don't understand it, and then come back and literally FEAST on the book, which is so much better! I know that reading it has expanded my ability to appreciate good literature, and I know I will read all of Jane Austen's novels now.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favorites, Oct. 12 1999
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Paperback)
As a fan of other types of literature (Stephen King and Steinbeck, for instance) I can't begin to express the way I devoured this book! Not only did I find the character development incredible, but I also enjoyed how Austen brought in other themes such as extreme embarrassment caused by relatives (haven't we ALL been there...)the ability to laugh at oneself, the empathy for a family member that has been wronged and regret of a decision. I liked this book so much that I went out and rented the A&E production and liked that so much I bought it. This is one story I will revisit again and again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, I finally read it!!, July 30 2014
Book Cupid (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Paperback)
Mr. Darcy wrote Lizzie a 5 page letter. Omg! I consider myself lucky when my guy writes me a 5 sentence text. Romance is dead :(

But not in this book. Some of the greatest love quotes can be found inside it. I felt astonished by the way Austen handled such direct characters. And although I do not wish to be as blunt as Lizzie in real life, I respect her, and find the story well deserved of its timeless classic title.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites!, March 27 2010
S. Kuronen (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Paperback)
I've read this book once already and am reading it again a second time. The first time I read it, it took me a few chapters before I started to catch the old English language. It`s refreshing to see how they lived over a 100 years ago. It really takes you into an old world when you read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but spelling errors., April 8 2014
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Paperback)
I'm happy with this copy of Pride and Prejudice, although there are some spelling errors I came across in this copy, and in the blurb on the back. "Jane Auslen" instead of Jane Austen. If you're looking for a review of the book I highly recommend reading it, it's an amazing novel!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is amazing and you feel every word!, Oct. 18 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Paperback)
Pride and Prejudice is a classic because everyone - at some stage - wants that kind of happiness in their lives. It is NOT totally fictional - these things DO happen! An awesome book and an even better movie. The acting was really good. I loved Jennifer Ehle and Colin is a BABE!

5.0 out of 5 stars a superb work of literature!!!, June 7 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Paperback)
PRIDE AND PREJUDICE was such a well-written book and so impossible to get bored with! My sides ached with laughter after nearly every chapter, every four times I've read it, I get something new out of it everytime. Anyone under 21 wouldn't enjoy this book??? I happen to be 11.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Pride and Prejudice
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (Paperback - April 12 1995)
CDN$ 6.75