5.0 out of 5 stars Pride and Prejudice
This is an amazing book; when I read it I just can't seem to put it down. This edition which is published by "Penguin Classics" proves to be a wonderful read because of the information included in the back.
Published on May 26 2004 by Adele

3.0 out of 5 stars Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
I did not have a favorite chapter but the chapter that I found most interesting is chapter eight because in that chapter Elizabeth and Darcy meet again at the Bingley's house and Darcy feels dumb because Elizabeth had rejected him, and they had not seen each other since that had happened.
I feel that this book is for the age group of 20-40 and I think that it's...
Published on Dec 19 2003 by skylinedriver59

5.0 out of 5 stars Pride and Prejudice, May 26 2004
Adele (Overland Park, Kansas.) - See all my reviews
Ms. Jane Austen does an impeccable job of describing the characters in the story. Each one has their own distinct personality which is part of what makes this book such a classic. Mrs. Bennet is especially cute, the way that she is always talking about the fact that she'd like her daughters to marry, and seems to think that it would prove to be the pinnacle of her life if one of them married into wealth. When Mr. Collins comes into the picture and decides to marry Charlotte, he can't stop praising the house in which will one day be his.
This is where the book really picks up. At the conclusion of volume one, an individual is left only to imagine what could possibly be happening with Mr. Bingley and his beloved Jane.
In this charming love story, two people learn to "get over themselves" and develop feelings for one another.

5.0 out of 5 stars 8th grade girl's perspective on Pride and Prejudice, Nov. 9 2003
Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen, follows society's elite through the trials and tribulations of love, pride, money, and marriage negotiations. This novel takes place in 19th century England and revolves around the slow development of love found between two characters. The first of these characters is Elizabeth Bennet, a clever, beautiful, and spirited young woman. Pride and Prejudice begins, when Mrs. Bennet asks Mr. Bennet to call on their new neighbor, Mr. Bingley. Mr. Bingley has an income of 5 thousand pounds a year and is not married, so Mrs. Bennet hopes to marry one of her 5 daughters to him. Jane, the eldest daughter, and Mr. Bingley begin to like each other during a ball. Elizabeth, the second oldest, meets Mr. Darcy at the same ball. Darcy initially does not care for Elizabeth, and refuses to even dance with her.
However, as Elizabeth grows to dislike Darcy, Darcy starts to become very fond of her. She and Darcy meet again when she stays with Mr. Bingley, because her sister, Jane, has taken ill at their house. Ms. Bingley, the sister of Mr. Bingley, herself hopes to wed Darcy, and seeks to make Elizabeth less appealing to Darcy. After Jane's recovery she and Elizabeth return home. There they welcomed to their home by their cousin Mr. Collins, who, because of the inheritance customs of the times (the Bennet girls had no brothers), was the heir to the Bennet family home. Together, Elizabeth and her family travel to town, where they met Mr. Wickham. Mr. Wickham notices Elizabeth, who he found charming, and describes to her a terrible deed he alleges Darcy had committed against him. Wickham claimed that Darcy owed him money and had denied him of a promised avocation. This new information causes Elizabeth to despise Darcy even more.
Soon Mr. Collins, the rather odd clergyman, proposes to Elizabeth. To her mother's dismay, she refuses him. Instead, her friend Charlotte Lucas marries Mr. Collins, and Elizabeth goes to visit them and their neighbor the great Lady Catherine De Bourgh. During her stay Elizabeth sees Darcy again, and he proposes. Elizabeth refuses, reciting all the terrible things he had done, including the mistreatment of Wickham. In response, Darcy writes Elizabeth explaining how Wickham had tried to elope with his sister because of her money. Elizabeth is forced to rethink, her opinions relating to Darcy and Wickham.
That summer Elizabeth traveled to Pemberly on holiday with her aunt and uncle, and while there her aunt and uncle wanted to see the beautiful Darcy estate. While visiting, Darcy showed up. Darcy and his sister heartily welcomed Elizabeth and her aunt and uncle, and invited them to dinner. Elizabeth began to grow fonder of Darcy. Dreadful news arrived during Elizabeth's stay at Pemberly. Her frivolous younger sister Lydia had run off with Wickham. Upon learning of the circumstances, Darcy sought out and found Wickham and Lydia, forcing them to marry. Elizabeth and her aunt and uncle returned to the Bennet home.
Bingley and Darcy together visited the Bennet household to call upon Jane and Elizbeth. Jane became engaged to Bingley, and when Darcy proposed to Elizabeth, her heart had changed, so she said yes. Elizabeth had fallen in love Darcy. They had both seen past their pride and past the prejudices that they had learned from society. Elizabeth and Darcy were happy in marriage, and remained forever grateful to Elisabeth's aunt and uncle for uniting them.
I would recommend the book Pride and Prejudice. It forces each of us to think about our roles in life. The novel also makes us think about our own pride and our own prejudices against others, and the need for us to learn more about people before we judge them. This book is also one of the greatest Romances of all time, bringing to life the love that a man and a woman held for each other from another era. It provides meaningful messages that all of us should learn. The characters are also interesting. This book is good for people who understand the use of language in the 19th century. Pride and Prejudice is a classic novel that I love, and believe everyone would enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks Jane!, July 7 2004
By A Customer
I've read three incredible books lately and NONE of them were remotely connected by theme, style, or author. "Song of Solomon" was the first, "The Bark of the Dogwood" was the second, and "Pride and Prejudice" was the third. While all were excellent, P&P was so great for me, simply because I didnt' expect it to be great. If you are like I was before reading this wonderful book, you probably can't imagine what could be so wonderful about Pride and Prejudice. How can it be interesting, you're thinking, when it's written in such a stuffy time period? I'll stick with my science fiction/romance novels/westerns, thank you very much. And it's true, you can't find any lusty young rogues, aliens, or gun fights, but that doesn't keep it from being an extremely wonderful book to read. The characters are full of life, the plot well constructed, and the entire story full of charm and humour. Don't be put off by the language either. It takes some getting used to, but once you're going it's not only completely natural, but makes today's English seem completely dull and simple. I cannot stress enough how wonderful this book is. Also try "Bark of the Dogwood" and "Song of Solomon."

5.0 out of 5 stars It�s Not So Much in What Happens but How it Happens, June 25 2004
Jennifer B. Barton "Beth Barton" (McKinney, Tx) - See all my reviews
I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Pride & Prejudice. Although it has to be called a romance, I personally feel that the fascination is much more about the rules of behavior and courtship in Victorian society. The same story set in the modern day would not be nearly so interesting because you no longer have the rules to navigate that are present in the time in which it is set. It is the compliance with these rules and the reaction when they are not followed properly that makes the social structure of the time (as it is presented here) more like a chess game than a simple romance story. This given with characters and settings that have a feel to them that reminds me of Little Women made this book a great deal of fun to read. It was fast paced with plenty of intrigues.
The back of my book puts the entire plot into one short paragraph. I was at first concerned that this would take the fun out of the reading since who marries who in the end was spelled out right there. However, in reading it I realized that it is not WHAT happens in this book as much as it is HOW it happens and in this Austen is a true master. Essentially the story is of the five daughters of the Bennett family. The addle-brained mother has no other concern than to marry her daughters off and the detached father generally just makes fun of the whole situation. Jane and Elizabeth are the two eldest daughters and Jane forms an attachment early on to Bingley, a gentleman who has leased a house/estate nearby. When a pompous Mr. Darcy interferes in Jane's attachment to Bingley, Elizabeth is turned vehemently against him - a sentiment further deepened by aspersions made by Mr. Wickham, Mr. Darcy's father's godchild. As fate would have it, Mr. Darcy develops an attachment to Elizabeth and has to redeem himself in her eyes, despite his feelings of social superiority and her many resentments.
I don't know if the title is to reflect the pride of Mr. Darcy and the prejudice of Elizabeth against him. At one point she says the following: " Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us." I see her really exploring this in the character of Mr. Darcy and his relations and feel that the title may have more to do with the exploration of this sentiment than in any of the individual characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pride and Prejudice, May 28 2004
By A Customer
Pride and Prejudice turned out to be a well involved tale of drama and romance. At first the book runs slowly, sometimes getting off the point and losing interest, but in a whole, when you finish reading the last page, you know you've read something great. The book truly tells a tale of pride and prejudice. Along with the many other stories involving other characters, the main interset is about two people- Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy. Elizabeth along with her sister Jane and others are all finding their way into marriage, when two men Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bingley come along. Mr. Darcy at first appearence is a crude proud man who does not involve himself in social confrantation, while Mr. Bingley comes to be a charming well wittted man. The story continues on with marriage proposals, refusals, and devious scandals. In Pride and Prejudice, many characters develop. Jane Austin creates their stories very well but sometimes as I was reading, I felt that there were too many people and I found it hard to keep up and get involved with it. But in a way, that was also the beauty of the story.So if you are intersted in this book, you have to be willing to be patient. But it will be worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pride and Predjudice - A very well written novel., May 23 2004
I think Jane Austen wrote a very good novel. I liked the characters in the novel and the plot. My favorite character in the novel was Elizabeth Bennet. I liked how she acted towards all the other characters with her quick wittedness and her cleverness. She was a very honest person who rose above her class bound society. She holds to what she thinks and believes in. For example in Chapter 3 she has a disliking toward the Bingley sister's, while Jane finds them "charming" Elizabeth still holds her feelings of dislike towards them.
Another character I enjoys throughout the book was Mr. Bennet. Mr. Bennet was the only man in a house of six women. The women wore him out and all of them were very difficult to deal with. He would always give me a good laugh throughout the whole book by his sarcastic humor. I like him also because he reminded me of Elizabeth because of their quick-wittedness and also they were the two closest in the family since they were the two smartest. I thought the two of them were most close in Chapter 13.
I enjoyed the novel's plot because of the girls and how they turned men down of proposals and the different down falls and happiness of all the girls' love lives. All the girls have disappointments and confusion with the men and people they love; yet not all of their situations work out the way some of the girls had hoped. Elizabeth holds strong and but she will not promise anything against her own happiness. Throughout all of the confusion, Jane and Elizabeth are happily married at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth the read, May 21 2004
jenna matson (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This plot was definitely fit for me. I am into the suspensful love stories that pull you into the story and won't let you go. This book was like that for me. I felt I could relate to a lot of it in that the girls were fighting over a guy or gossiping about who they think is prettier, or who they admire the most; something i could see my friends and I doing a lot. I think a part of the book that portrays the similarity between my friends and the girls from "Pride and Prejudice" is when the Bennet and theLucas women get together the morning after a ball and discuss all of the details. Mr. Bingley is the hot item in town and they are trying to decide who he likes the most. "Oh!---you must mean Jane, I suppose---because he danced with her twice. To be sure that did seem as if he admired her--indeed I rather believe he did--I heard something about it---but I hardly know what---something about Mr. Robinson."
"Perhaps you mean what I overheard between him and Mr. Robinson; did not I mention it to you? Mr. Robinson's asking him how he liked our Meryton assemblies....and which he thought the prettiest? And his answering immediately to the last question---Oh! the eldest Miss Bennet beyond a doubt, there cannot be two opinions on that point." (pg. 20). I also love all of the characters in her novel. For each one of them i could tink of someone I knew who was exactly like them. I feel like I know Elizabeth, Jane, and Charlotte so well because they each have qualities almost identical to some of my friends. My favorite character throughout this book had to be Elizabeth. She is strong, witty, and extremely intelligent. She has a lot of the qualities that inspire me to be a stronger person that stands up for my beliefs. I love that she is able to battle with Darcy about what makes the "perfect" woman. Her intelligence makes Darcy drool over her. I think Elizabeth would be a good role model for a lot of girls who need to learn what the meaning of independence is, and how to use it. A quote in the book that shows Elizabeth's strength. "My fingers, said Elizabeth, "do not move over this instrument in the masterly manner which I see so many women's do. They have not the same force or rapidity, and do not produce the same expression. But then I have always supposed it to be my own fault--because I would not take the trouble of practicing. It is not that I do not believe m fingers as capable as any other woman's of uperior execution." "Darcy smiled and said, "you are perfectly right.""
Another reason I love this book is because of Jane Austen's writing style. She uses such a large vocabulary that thouroughly illustrated everyone's feelings so well, that it made it hard to put the book down. Austen's wording just seemed so elegant and flowed together perfectly. I felt smart just reading her book. It was definitely challenging because of the old fashioned wording and advanced vocabulary, but it feels like such an accomplishment finishing such a great book. I reccomend this book to anyone who wants to enjoy a great story and get a sense for the social status of women and men during the 19th century. It's a great book, and I have nothing bad to say about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be a man! Read Jane Austen!, Feb. 23 2004
Tyler Tanner (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I'm a recent newlywed who decided to raid his wifes bookshelf and this was the first book of hers that I picked up. Wanting to be better read and enjoying the movie "Sense and Sensibility."
I recommend to anyone that is curious but apprehensive of Austen like I was to see a film based on one of her books. You will hear the use and cadence of victorian speech which will, in my humble opinion, make her books more accessible and easier to read. This is the first Jane Austen I've read and I am now bonafide fan.
This is one of those stories where the destination is not important but the journey is. Within the first ten pages, the stage is set. The two headstrong protagonists, Miss Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy cannot stand one another at the beginning of the book. Sparks fly and meet with typical results. The characters are distinct and memorable. Mr. Bennet, Elizabeth's father, was one of my favorites. Anyone who is an admirer of dry "british" humor will find themselves in stitches. It is the first book in a very long time where I found myself laughing out loud and on more than one occasion.
A moderately quick read for those used to victorian prose. I for one am glad that I got over the "girly" stigma that's usually associated with Jane Austen. It has made me consider other books in my wifes arsenal I normally would not have otherwise.
I will, however, pass on her "The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood"
Great book. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review on Pride and Prejudice, Feb. 17 2004
Eugenia (Taipei, Taiwan) - See all my reviews
"I"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." This is the opening that initiated the whole story with a click, that not only addressed the theme of this book, but also of a "universally acknowledged" truth.
In my long search for a literary classic that I could both enjoy reading as well as get something out of, I finally ended up with "Pride and Prejudice", by Jane Austen. Upon reading the first sentence of this book, I was immediately captured by the story liveliness and soon found myself hooked. In addition to the lively, vivid tone of the book, what enchanted me the most was the seamless way in which each character behaviors and interactions were so carefully woven together in an intricate plot.
Some characters that appear in the book are:
- Mr. Bennet, a brilliant, sarcastic man who likes to ridicule the silliness of his wife
- Mrs. Bennet, a middle aged woman who is eager to marry her daughters off to rich and prosperous families when they come of age
- Their five daughters:
- Jane, who, being the eldest, believes in human good and righteousness in all human beings,
- Mary, their third child, who is always absorbed in books thinking about this and that
- The shy Catherine, also known as Kitty, who always followed her flirtatious younger sister, Lydia around in flirting with officers.
However, all the characters and indeed the whole story revolves around Miss. Elizabeth Bennet the second oldest sister, a witty, headstrong girl, and Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy, a very queer, shy man. At first sight, Elizabeth's assumption and observation towards Mr. Darcy pride made her prejudiced against him. Yet in the end an unexpected twist ends this book in a very satisfactory manner.
Although many readers especially teenagers might be "prejudiced" against reading the old "classics", I found this book to be quite interesting. This book gave me an insight on the thoughts of the people during that time period, and some hints how they were suppress or discriminated by the class system.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless Tale, Feb. 4 2004
H. F. Corbin "Foster Corbin" (ATLANTA, GA USA) - See all my reviews
A mother's driving force is getting her five daughters married quickly; it hardly matters to whom. A suitor proposes, is summarily rejected and marries someone else within days. A woman doesn't like men but wants to get married anyway. A sixteen-year-old runs off with a man and doesn't marry him right away, much to the chagrin of both her parents and sisters. A mother has no use for her daughter's suitor but happily accepts him into the family because he is wealthy. The less money a family has, the more important it is that all their daughters marry and quickly. If the family lives in the country, they must work harder to get these daughters married. Sound like your favorite sitcom and/or your favorite cousin and her family? Well, it's Jane Austin's timeless PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. I recently reread this comedy of manners that I hadn't read since high school. Here we have much ado about getting the daughters married. Even though we in the U. S. have lived through the 60's and the "Women's Movement," sixty percent of law students now are women, and many things have changed about the way young women are brought up and what they do with their lives, I still saw a lot of families I know here. Everything changes; yet everything remains the same.
Everybody points out what is so unique about this novel as well as the rest of Austin's works. She does very little to place them in any given time. They are quite wonderful in what they don't tell us. Austin doesn't give us a lot of specificity about a lot of things. For example, The Bennetts are always entertaining yet we don't know much about what they eat other than "venison" or "meat." While people often "color" when they blush, the only color named in the entire novel is blue; Wickham may wear a blue coat when he gets married. The young women often play music but we are never told the names of the pieces they play. We do know that Elizabeth plays rather badly. I kept thinking that these young girls have too much free time on their hands. They need more hobbies or part-time jobs. Of course young women of a certain station in Austin's day didn't work.
The ironic first line of the novel is well-known: "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." With that great opener, we are off and running.
Parts of this novel will make you smile; others will make your laugh. My favorite character is the father, Mr. Bennett, who is quick to see and point out his wife's and others' foibles but never sees his own.

Pride and Prejudice
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (Paperback - April 12 1995)
CDN$ 5.50