5.0 out of 5 stars $1.95?? Are you KIDDING me?
Published on Oct. 28 2003 by Peggy Vincent

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners
I bought this book when I was starting to learn Spanish. I wanted something small and quick that I could carry with me.
Published on Jan. 8 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars $1.95?? Are you KIDDING me?, Oct. 28 2003
Peggy Vincent "author and reader" (Oakland, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words (Paperback)
Okay, I thought that $1.95 was a misprint, and I bought it just to get a bargain. But omigod, talk about a bargain! At ten times the price, this book would be a bargain. It's not going to teach you to speak Spanish. It's not going to help you conjugate Spanish verbs. It's not going to make you fluent or able to read the newspaper in Zihuatenejo. But know what? It's going to make your next foray into a Spanish-speaking country a whole lot easier.
Overall, it's a dictionary, but there are subsections like food, colors, travel, clothing, and within those sections things are arranged alphabetically. Each word is used in a whole sentence (many of which are very handy sentences to have at your disposable) with translation, of course.
Anyway, stop reading this review and buy this book. Hell, at this price, buy 10 and give them to everyone in your family the next time you go south of the border.
Highest recommendation, and an utter steal at this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great beginning prep tool, June 2 2003
Chris Salzer (Gainesville, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words (Paperback)
1001 Most Useful Spanish Words is great for what it's intended for - beginners, i.e. me. If you're advanced, you'll probably laugh at this book. That being said, I found it very useful with its 1001 useful words listed in alphabetical order in Spanish with an example sentence and its English translation next to each one. Also helpful are the sections at the conclusion of the book delineating family members, numbers, days of the week, lots of food, colors, stores, animals, etc. Overall, a great tool for beginners that won't cut into your pocketbook.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners, Jan. 8 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words (Paperback)
The book does not have English-Spanish; it is organized alphabetically in Spanish. Each word has a brief definition. Most words also have an example sentence. It is also uneven in its coverage; sometimes I cannot find Spanish words that I consider very basic.
I did not find this to be a useful reference or learning tool as a beginner. For someone who knows some Spanish already, it might be a more useful tool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful on a small scale, Sept. 3 2002
K. Wallace (Bedford, MA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words (Paperback)
This book has about 50 pages of dictionary, followed by word lists by category (such as the family, days, months, numbers, colors, foods, and animals, among others), and finally a page of "vocabulary tips," which are things like "English -ous is often Spanish -oso."
One major disadvantage of this book is that the dictionary section is Spanish-English and there is no English-Spanish section. Obviously, with only a little over a thousand words, the book is not meant to be an exhaustive dictionary, and it does not really function as one. I was surprised at how useful I found one part of the book- the list of foods (Spanish-English, like the dictionary section). There were many words on this list that I did not know but felt I should, such as "almond" and "celery."
I went through the dictionary section and found that each page (with about 22 words) had an average of 4 words I didn't know. (To give background on my Spanish knowledge, I have taken 4 years of high school Spanish, plus a lot of reading and studying in my spare time). I happily highlighted those words and began studying them, since they are, as the title claims, very useful. I think that this book might be most helpful for someone who has taken around 2 years of high school Spanish, as that person would know far fewer of the words. On the other hand, it might be an overwhelming amount to memorize, so maybe not.
Here is an example entry taken from the book (I think this falls under fair use...):
"arrojar to throw Se prohibe arrojar objetos por la ventanilla. It is forbidden to throw things out of the window." At times the entry will also specify that the word is used in a certain country or region, which is very helpful considering the variation in the language in different Spanish-speaking countries.
All in all, a useful little book, and a good resource for learning Spanish. Its scope is small, but it achieves what it aims for very well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nah...., March 11 2004
Seth C. Dortch (Tennessee, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words (Paperback)
Cheap! That is the first thing that will stand out to you when you see the price of this book. Definately a great price. But is the book really worth spending your change on?
In my opinion: no. This book does contain some useful words, but come on! If you are an advanced Spanish speaker, than you don't need this book. It has all elementry words in it. And if you are a beginning Spanish learner it doesn't contain enough words to make it worth your while.
I know! I know! It is extremely cheap. But even with as cheap as it is it would probably be better for you to save your money toward a better book. Maybe a good Spanish dictionary. Or if you are really interested in learning, go for Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish. And if you want to know how to pronounce all the words here, (A flaw in the book. No pronounciation guide!) buy Learn Spanish in Your Car. It has 9 cd's with it.
But what if that 2 bucks is burning a hole in your pocket and you have to spend it now? Well Taco Bell has some great burritos that will take care of your money and fill you up too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beginner's Spanish, July 10 2004
This review is from: 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words (Paperback)
Earlier I done Basic French through 'French in Three Months' by Hugo and covered up all excercises in detail. However speech was a flaw and so now being an Enrique fan, clicked to Spanish Learning. The local course was a costly affair and so I sorted Learning Spanish in a simplified language course Book, a truly beginner's guide by Seymour.The Book teaches the basics of Spanish and in a very nice manner, the words sorted out under categories that make self learning easier. Spanish sentences have the English translations like in French Book and this makes easy speaking in sentences. Unfortunately, the pronunciation guide is missing. Grammar is made clear with the Dictionary words. It is like learning little a time but learning thoroughly as a beginner and knowing Spanish basics is just fun. Afterall, an alien language do take time to perfect anyways! A good Beginner's Guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spanish - Light & Easy!, Aug. 6 2000
Luis Hernandez (New York, New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words (Paperback)
A light (and I really mean light - the book weighs about 2 ounces) and helpful book for anyone trying to build their Spanish vocabulary. Printed by the good people at Dover Publications, the book lacks the fancy designs, illustrations, and other graphics that books are generally well known for, however it is a very resourceful book to have around.
Author Seymour Resnick does a great job in compiling the 1,001 most used words in the Spanish language, however there is one negative thing about this book. There is not a pronunciation guide throughout the whole book. Although it's not a dictionary, it is always helpful to have this reference mentioned in a foreign-language book. Besides this fault, this book will make excellent reading material for anyone trying to brush up on their Spanish before a trip, meeting, or just to chat with a friend or relative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another incredible value from Dover, June 3 2001
David E. Levine (Peekskill , NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words (Paperback)
I love Dover's various works of classic literature available at a fraction of what you would expect to pay. Here, in this short volume, is another category offering a great value ... foreign language study. This is certainly anoher unbelievable value. Dollar for dollar, you can't go wrong with this book. The words are listed with an English definition followed by the use of the word in a sentence in Spanish. You need, perhaps, only a very rudimentary knowledge of Spanish to find this book useful. I am using this book to build my vocabulary and the use of each word in a sentence helps me to put the definition in it's proper context. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!!!, March 13 2004
Gracie Jones (Pekin, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words (Paperback)
I found this book to be an awesome help in learning Spanish words. Through using this book, I have been able to correspond with my Latini American friends and actually make sense!!! I have used this book so much I am buying another one as my first one is starting to fall apart!!! I would definitely give this book 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spanish - Light & Easy!, Aug. 6 2000
Luis Hernandez (New York, New York, USA) - See all my reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1001 Most Useful Spanish Words
1001 Most Useful Spanish Words by Seymour Resnick (Paperback - June 7 1996)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01