5.0 out of 5 stars $1.95?? Are you KIDDING me?
Okay, I thought that $1.95 was a misprint, and I bought it just to get a bargain. But omigod, talk about a bargain! At ten times the price, this book would be a bargain. It's not going to teach you to speak Spanish. It's not going to help you conjugate Spanish verbs. It's not going to make you fluent or able to read the newspaper in Zihuatenejo. But know what? It's going...
Published on Oct. 28 2003 by Peggy Vincent

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners
I bought this book when I was starting to learn Spanish. I wanted something small and quick that I could carry with me.
The book does not have English-Spanish; it is organized alphabetically in Spanish. Each word has a brief definition. Most words also have an example sentence. It is also uneven in its coverage; sometimes I cannot find Spanish words that I...
Published on Jan. 8 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Book!, May 10 1999
This review is from: 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words (Paperback)
With only 55 pages, it packs a ton of vocabulary! It's so thin I can put it almost anywhere, even inside another book! Wonderful for building vocabulary on the go. It has the Spanish word, it's definition, then it has A SENTENCE IN SPANISH to show context, AND the English translation!!! If that wasn't enough, the last few pages it has groupings of words under various subjects. AND some vocabulary tips!!! I can't say enough about this little book. And did everybody see the price??! Unheard of!! Every new student of Spanish should own one.
P.S. I think the person who gave this book a poor rating was being extremely unkind. This book never says it's anything other than it is. A book to build vocabulary. It's not a dictionary. Dictionaries cost a lot more, and are heavy. (This book weighs 2 oz.!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, Sweet & to the Point, Sept. 16 2001
This review is from: 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words (Paperback)
1001 Most Userful Spanish Words is the Dover Thrift version of a Spanish Dictionary.
At barely over 50 pages it packs alot in for the price. The bulk of the book is Spanish -English dictionsary. It includes nouns, verbs and adjectives, whether its masculine or feminine, the word used in a sentence in Spanish, then translated into English.
The last few pages are devoted to groupings of words including numbers, colors, seasons, months, days of the week, food, family, professions, animals and stores.
It concludes with one page on vocab tips.
Also recommended: Spanish for Gringos:Level 2 (ISBN 0764170120), (Breaking Out of Beginner's Spanish(ISBN 029274322X) and Rapanese : the Musical Method of Learning Spanish: Series (1,2 &3) (ISBN 1886447160).

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute 'must have' book., May 22 2003
Mark Spark "markspark" (Kansas City, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words (Paperback)
I bought an assortment of 5 spanish books, but this one is the most useful. I carry it in everywhere and find myself reading it often. If you are a beginner or just relearning spanish, this book is an absolute must for your spanish resources.

3.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you need it before you buy it., July 22 2003
Jacob Hantla "hantla.com" (Chandler, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words (Paperback)
If you've taken more than one semester of Spanish in school, this book won't be able to help you much. For me (my wife is Mexican and I have learned a lot from her. I have also completed up through Spanish 201 in college), this book did not teach me a thing. However, for my grandma who has no experience with Spanish and wanted to learn some voculary words in order to communicate easier, this book was perfect. This book could be one of the most useful you have or one of the most useless, depending on who you are and at what level of Spanish you are at. Make sure that you need it before you buy it, but for two bucks you can't do much better if you are looking for a good vocaulary list.

5.0 out of 5 stars useful for a beginning speaker, April 14 1999
This review is from: 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words (Paperback)
I found this book really useful. If you already know how to put together basic sentences in Spanish (I've only taken first semester Spanish)then studying from this book gives you a really good basis for conversation. When I was travelling in Mexico last year I remember trying to look up a lot of these important words and phrases in the dictionary but being unable to find them. If you plan on trying to use your Spanish you should study from this list of essential words, many of which are often left out of beginning Spanish books for some reason. The book also gives clear examples of how the word should be used in a sentence, which is helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money!, March 31 2002
SanDiegoDude (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words (Paperback)
I am in Antigua, Guatemala, 7 weeks into an immersion spanish program. I have glanced through a number of small dictionaries or books that seek to build vocabulary. The choice of words is always puzzling. For example, you might find the spanish word for "elf" but then be unable to find "fork".
This book on the other hand has a very wise choice of words. It covers most of the verbs and nouns and what not you will need for basic conversations. "to have", "to want", basic foods, basic prepositions. So far, it has the wisest choice of words I have seen. Furthermore, each word comes with a sentence, which helps with grammar and usage. ...

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, Jan. 22 2003
P. Reese "muncie-birder" (MUNCIE, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words (Paperback)
I bought this book on the advice of the reviewers. Perhaps I am too critical, but I think it is a waste of money. I prefer a more comprehensive reference.
Major criticism. There is no English-Spanish x-ref.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful indeed., July 9 2002
Jason W. Miller "Glass Chewing Calvinist" (Jamestown, North Dakota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words (Paperback)
Imagine what you could do if you knew 1001 spanish words. Not much you say? Well what if you knew not just any 1001 Spanish words but the 1001 most useful Spanish words! Now you are on your way to conducting the most fascinating conversations of your lifetime. Imagine if you were hanging out in some diner and you saw Shakira walk in...wow! Without this book you wouldn't be able to ask her "Where is the bathroom?" or "How many shoes do you have?" You'd be stuck with your jaw drooping in your eggs wishing you had read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best [$] I've spent for spanish, Nov. 18 2002
This review is from: 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words (Paperback)
As the title says, this book contains a listing of the more useful words in spanish. I used this book to build and patch holes in my spanish vocabulary. It easily fits in my purse, so I always carry it with me. I can brush up on a word or two while in the grocery store, or waiting in traffic. The best features are the examples of each word in a sentence, and the listing in the back of spanish months, days of the week and numbers. The sentences allow you to see how the word fits in the spanish sentence structure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Spanish Rosetta Stone ..., Feb. 14 2001
J. Michael Schultz (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1001 Most Useful Spanish Words (Paperback)
I love this little book first of all because it's easy to carry around so I usually have it with me. It's perfect for a beginning spanish student since each word is used in a sentence. Not only do you learn the meaning of the word but you learn enough grammar to use it. The example sentences are in different tenses so can you learn some of that as well. Overall a great linguistic bang for the buck, its no nonsense format is pure Spanish extract for the novice.

1001 Most Useful Spanish Words
1001 Most Useful Spanish Words by Seymour Resnick (Paperback - June 7 1996)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01