4.0 out of 5 stars "castaway" + "lord of the flies" = Robinson Crusoe
By now you know that Robinson Crusoe is a tale of a man shipwrecked on a deserted island. He lives off the land for 20-some years and develops all sorts of survival skills. With that said, here is my review:
Published on May 8 2004 by mulebennett3

1.0 out of 5 stars Thrifty on product
The product I was looking for for my 15 yr old was the full book. Not the "Thrift Edition".
I guess i am responsible fro the purchase but the listing does not indicate the fact that you are getting a watered down version of the real deal.
Published 12 months ago by MWinder

4.0 out of 5 stars "castaway" + "lord of the flies" = Robinson Crusoe, May 8 2004
"mulebennett3" (Charlottesville, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robinson Crusoe (Hardcover)
My assignment in English class was to choose a book from the Romantic period. There was an abundance of girly stories, so I chose a book that I would feel comfortable reading--Robinson Crusoe.
The book is not terribly long, like other books in this era (Three Musketeers), though it is not a quick read. The book is enjoyable, but it took a lot of sitting down and trying to focus. It was easy to read, probably suitable for 8th graders, but I had trouble getting through the book, especially during the slow parts, and I'm a fast reader.
Robinson Crusoe is filled with religion, which put me off a bit. While I don't want to spoil anything, he allows freedom of religion on his island, but tries to make his Protestant buddy Friday convert to Christianity.
This story is definitely worth reading, especially because at some point you'll probably need to read it for school. It's a fun book, however it has dark moments, and some questionable incidents, such as selling a comrade into slavery. It is one of the better school-books I've read, having suffered through Scarlet Letter and other Puritan literature.
This book has been popular since it was published in the 1700s, an impressive feat. It is clearly a classic novel, and the sketchy scenes were normal back in the Romantic period. Slavery, racism, and no PETA means that this book was written without the limits we see today. Go ahead and read it if you like adventure or the movie Castaway. Four stars for good plot, good character development, bad slow parts, and overkill religious devotion.

5.0 out of 5 stars book, July 30 2013
This review is from: Robinson Crusoe (Paperback)
very good book and very good stories (story) when you start reading it you can't stop ever after I recommand it

1.0 out of 5 stars Thrifty on product, July 19 2013
This review is from: Robinson Crusoe (Paperback)
this version is for those wanting to skip through and get only the exciting potions. Don't buy if you want the meat and potatoes version!

3.0 out of 5 stars An Unknown Classic, April 7 2004
Christopher Braden (Herndon, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robinson Crusoe (Paperback)
Robinson Crusoe is one of the most famous stories that we all know. What most don't know is that the story is about much more than simply being shipwrecked. It's about man's view on God and his place in the universe and his faith in himself. RC is a good book, though I think a bit laborious. I think that the movie "Castaway" with Tom Hanks has conditioned us to think of shipwreck stories lasting only a few years. This story lasts 26 years and is, as a result, very elaborate. I found it interesting to see how the author delved so deeply in the main character's religious beliefs and how they so strongly impacted his thoughts and actions. The book did have a bit too much of a feel good aspect to it in that things were either going very well or very poorly for the castaway, though I think that is somewhat symptomatic of the time it was written in. The work is perhaps more impressive when you consider that it was basically illegal to write this kind of story back then. It had to be written from the first person perspective, almost as an historical or autobiographical piece in order for Defoe to get it published. To that end, this was truly one of the first of the novels in the historical genre that was later followed by Sir Walter Scott who wrote Ivanhoe and Rob Roy, among others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative, pioneering adventure tale, June 8 2004
C. Stephans - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robinson Crusoe (Paperback)
Not only is Robinson Crusoe an extremely well written, entertaining novel, but it was the first of its kind. Defoe's novel is fresh and intriguing today just as it was when written.
Defoe's language reveals classic appreciation of the English language that really appealed to me as a reader. His narrative accounts of adventure, shipwrecks and survival are precise and captivating. this book is made up of many short stories tied together in following the main character. The character grows and matures through his trials and becomes a man worthy of emulation.
Defoe shows brilliant insight into humanity through his writing as his main character challenges nature, savages, and his inner darkness. I enjoyed the spiritual aspects of the book. Any close look at a character such as Crusoe would be lacking if it did not follow his spiritual transformation as well as his physical changes.
There are some brief slow parts interspersed in the book that are more like speedbumps in a great tale that many have tried to imitate but failed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ethan ..., March 10 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Robinson Crusoe (Paperback)
Robinson was born in York in 1632. He had two older brothers one was a lieutenant colonel to an English Regeiment and was killed. He never knew about his second brother. Robinson loved nothing but the sea. So he became a merchant traveling from contry to country. On one of his voyages he was caught in a storm. On one of his voyages he was cought in a storm and was shipwrecked. Whe the storm cleared he saw that he was near land. So he built a raft and went to shore. He built a shelter and lived in it. Once when he was exploring his island and met a man and named him Friday because he thought he met him on Friday.

3.0 out of 5 stars a quandary of a critical shipwreck, Oct. 4 2003
Defoe's book is one of the first English novels and a prime example of Restoration literature because, hey, nothing reinvigorates a nation like a spicy tale of shipwreck and pirates. Loosely based on a true story, "Robinson Crusoe" is about a young sailor-trader-vagrant who runs away from home and his father's urgings to pursue law. His little sailing adventure quickly goes awry, and before long, visions of "Castaway" will dance in your head.
The bulk of the story takes place on the island where he's isolated for years, and years, and years, and without television or a good book. As a result, Defoe saturates this novel with description, preening into the tiniest details of daily shipwreck life. His focus on the mundane is wonderful - for the first 3 days of island captivity - but quickly bores after that. The true adventure lies in Crusoe's bold character rather than island logistics and could be further explored with the events that sandwiched his solitude.
Without a doubt though, this is a classic that leaves much to be digested. Crusoe is a timeless character, the aimless youth of yesterday, today, and tomorrow who stands ready to conquer the world but who's not quite sure how to go about it. It's no wonder why the emerging British middle class gobbled it up or why it continues to cater to the dreamers who feel an odd kinship to the bold Crusoe. For me though, this book is not a personal favorite; the action flows like molasses and the critical payoff is, in my estimate, not worth the 275 page investment. I'm also not fond of the prose, most of which comes off in Crusoe's proud, definitive bursts of declarative sentences.
In an edition note, I bought the Bantam Classic which is fine enough for a leisure read. If you're aiming at serious study or otherwise going for the authentic Defoe experience however, be forewarned that this version contains chapter titles not published with the original work. Buy another edition if you don't want spoilers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unhurriedly Pragmatic Adventure Story, June 28 2003
Yeanold Viskersenn (Bromsgrove, Worcs, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robinson Crusoe (Paperback)
In the literary world it is perhaps blasphemy to say a bad word against Daniel Defoe's most acclaimed novel. So here goes. The fact that the book was originally titled The Life And Strange Surprising Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe illustrates the major flaw in Defoe's literary form. Put simply, this would be a far more interesting and gripping story were it not so superfluously lengthy. The author makes a habit of repeating himself, especially when it comes to the act of dispatching kittens, which seems to be more of an obsession here than octogenarian ladies are to MatronsApron. It is difficult, you may think, to keep the subject matter fresh when describing the daily tribulations of a fellow stranded on an island for thirty years, without occasionally repeating yourself. True, but perhaps a straightforward solution to this diminutive quandary would be to simply truncate the duration of the story. There are some wonderfully intriguing and suspenseful moments, and some juicy action to boot, but sadly these are gratuitously diluted by lengthy descriptions of the unremarkable everyday goings on in Crusoe's life, and rather than serving to build up the suspense, they merely obstruct the reader's relationship with the more exciting parts of the story.
However, those with more patience than my ignorant self will find in Robinson Crusoe a delightful tale, which as well as being a fictional documentary of the most unusual thirty years of Mr. Crusoe's life, also has time to ponder upon philosophical and theological ideas, in a style that makes the reader feel as if they are involved in the conflicts between the functionalist and cynical thoughts going on in Crusoe's mind. It may not be a gripping white-knuckle adventure, being rather more leisurely and acquiescent, but it is still rather easy to see why Robinson Crusoe is regarded by some as one of the greatest novels of all time.

4.0 out of 5 stars I eat wood, Nov. 18 2002
This review is from: Robinson Crusoe (Paperback)
I love this book. I would sit around and munch on my wood and read and read. I will shove a stick in my toe. Who the heck is Garfield trying to fool with his orange fur and black stripes? everyone knows he is a tabby. My best friend is a cactus. I think I know everything about tactical numbers and emoticons, but who's to say that the Titanic was the biggest? How many more hormon-pumped teens must be shot in the aorta before ol' bush decides to bring guns back into the schools. I like to eat broadswords.
Let's hear it for Robinson Cruesoe!...

5.0 out of 5 stars It takes at least 28 years to learn life's lessons, Sept. 16 2002
Jeffrey Sauro (Denver, CO United States) - See all my reviews
One of the best works of fiction I've read. I listened to this work unabridged and the narrator's tone and cadence were excellent. The narrative in the novel was very easy to follow as the majority of the book involves thoughts of Crusoe and very little dialogue. This is where its similarity with the movie "Cast Away" ends. It's an enduring story not for its Swiss Family Robinson detail but for its character development. Defoe does an excellent job of writing the impetuous, self-reproaching, humbling, ambitious and regretful thoughts of Crusoe.
The reflections and insights Crusoe contemplates while on and then later off the island provide an insightful template on how experience turns from foolish trial and error to wisdom. For example:
How frequently in the course of our lives, the evil which in itself we seek most to shun, and which when we are fallen into it is the most dreadful to us, is often times the very means or door of our deliverance by which alone we can be raised again from the affliction we are fallen into.
We are rarely cast into any condition of life so low or any misery so great but we may see something or other to be thankful for and may see others in worse circumstances than our own.
A few reviewers have criticized the book for its approbation of Robinson Crusoe's irresponsible behavior: he disobeyed his parents, pursued deplorable occupations (by today's standards), held racist attitudes and was cruel to animals. Yet it is just this behavior which is the strength of Crusoe as a character-he is the quintessential human---irresponsible, fallible, cowardly but not incorrigible.

Robinson Crusoe
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (Paperback - June 10 1998)
CDN$ 4.75 CDN$ 3.67