4.0 out of 5 stars Lengthy But Worth Reading
I’ve seen many versions of Dracula movies over the years, so decided it was high time to read Bram Stoker’s horror classic. I was curious to see how far the movie versions had strayed from the book. The answer, of course, depends on the movie, but I now understand why cinematic versions pared down many details.

Dracula is a long read, filled with...
Published 5 months ago by Debra Purdy Kong

3.0 out of 5 stars Well at least the book is good
Published 22 months ago by js_9784

4.0 out of 5 stars Lengthy But Worth Reading, Oct. 29 2013
Debra Purdy Kong (British Columbia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dracula (Paperback)

Dracula is a long read, filled with plenty of descriptions and thoughts from key players. The first third of the book is actually three separate stories told through journal entries (the entire book is told through journals). The first comes from Jonathan Harker, describing his harrowing trip to Count Dracula’s castle on legal business. The second is from Jonathan’s fiancée, Mina, and her best friend, Lucy. The third story is told by John Seward, a psychiatrist in charge of an insane asylum, who’s particularly interested in one patient. It’s this last story that most of the movie versions cut. It takes about 200 pages (the book was 605 pages on my iPad) for all three stories to converge. In fact, the whole Dracular-vampire revelation isn’t established until the halfway point.

Still, Stoker intricately weaves all three storylines together while introducing Van Helsing. Despite the pace, the suspense does build, and the action scenes are riveting. It’s just that there are few of them. Stoker focuses on building suspense about whether Dracula will be destroyed in time rather than the battle with Dracula himself. I might be spoiled, but in the movies, the more important the evil player, the longer and more desperate the battle. Still, the book. was a good read this Halloween month.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well at least the book is good, June 14 2012
This review is from: Dracula (Paperback)
Well I bought this book to be a gift for someone and they really loved the book but when I was going to purchase the book it says to click and you could read exerpts from the book before buying. So I did that and what I read was great. It had a detailed history and account of the author and how they came to think of doing the book and things like that. It sounded really interesting that even I was interested in reading the book.
So when the book actually came, I was pretty mad when I noticed that the book was "Dracula" but not the one that I had originally wanted to purchase. The picture of the book versus the exerpts were from different books. If I had wanted just the regular "Dracula" without all the extra stuff about the history in the beginning I could have just gone to any store to buy it instead of doing it online, paying the shipping and waiting for so long. I was choked!

Please make sure that the author and editor and edition of the book that you want is the one that see before you make the same disappointing mistake I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sink your teeth into this book, Jan. 14 2003
This review is from: Dracula (Paperback)
I put off reading Dracula for awhile after a friend told me, "It's not at all like the (1931) movie, it's just a bunch of boring journal entries."
How wrong they were. And I'm sorry I waited so long to find that out.
The interweaving of the narratives, sometimes skipping back a day or two to have one character's perspective "catch up" to another's was masterfully done. No sooner is one moment of suspense reached than we switch to someone else's current adventure, and the tension starts building all over again.
Some people think that the book wanders away from the action too much, but I didn't find that to be a problem. The characters and atmosphere are so well written that any "background" information blends well into the plot itself.
The only thing I found that slowed me down a bit was Van Helsing's broken English. However, once I got used to his style of speaking, it wasn't much of a hinderance to the pace.
One aspect of the book that I especially appreciated is the fact that Mina Murray Harker is such a strong character. In the (1931) movie, she mostly looks winsome and cries. In this novel, she's a much bigger part of the action, actively participating in the mission to destroy Count Dracula even as she falls under his spell herself.
I'm glad I finally read this book and had the opportunity to experience "Dracula" as its author intended the story to be told.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dover makes Dracula accessible to the masses, Nov. 12 2000
This review is from: Dracula (Paperback)
Dover's thrift editions are always nice for getting classroom sets for teachers trying to make do with having no money and still trying to provoke their students in reading and learning. "Dracula" is not traditional classroom fare, with "Frankenstein" a more traditional choice since it deals with humans doing things they were not meant to do. But Stoker's vampire novel can still provoke some intriguing classroom discussions over the use of different first person narratives, the elements of horror, and the willinging suspension of disbelief. Given all the variations on Dracula in films, it may well be worthwhile to talk about the range of interpretation versus being faithful to an author's original vision. For some classes, this might be worth a shot and Dover makes it economically feasible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerizing!, July 29 2000
This review is from: Dracula (Paperback)
The writer slowly takes you away from reality and makes you believe in what you read. Superb narration with comfortable pace. Slowly you get involved in the intrigue and horror.

ARRAY(0xa2747528)

Dracula
Dracula by Bram Stoker (Paperback - April 18 2000)
CDN$ 7.50 CDN$ 5.69