countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more scflyout Pets All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 21, 2016
I decided to try this book out because it was something I had heard about but didn't really know much about. I was expecting a bit more of an adventure, but once I got past the detached narration I was able to cheer for the main characters and follow along without dragging my feet.

I felt like the writing was too arrogant for my taste. It sounded too highbrow despite the fun tone behind it, so it took me a while to get into the story because of that. I also didn't like how detached it was from Mr. Fogg, reporting his trip from everyone else's point of view but his own. The perfect gentleman was boring to read about, and his behaviour became obvious soon enough so that left no room for surprise. At least the other characters made up for his flatness, but I wish Fix didn't end up the way he did because his reasons were still valid.

I also didn't like the intro paragraphs to each chapter, as I felt it sort of spoiled the events, but after a while I learned to either ignore them or pay little attention to the words.

Because I wasn't too familiar with the story, once I got to the end where they apparently end up missing the deadline I wondered if that really was the case (and Mr. Fogg ended up learning something from the experience) or if they were mistaken, and I was glad for the outcome - except for the marriage. I felt romance wasn't hinted at much throughout the story, and it felt so contrived to have it end in happy marriage when there was nothing building up to that point.

Being a classic, the plot style didn't surprise or disappoint me so I wasn't left with too bad of an impression from the story. So much more could've happened, but Passepartout's shenanigans did give a bit of fun to the story and that kept me flipping the pages to find out whether the bet was going to be won or not.
on June 7, 2016
I enjoyed the plot line but found myself getting stuck in so many details that I felt it slowed down the action. However, I do adore the name Phileas Fogg!
on January 16, 2016
Classic book. Good story which includes satire, comedy and adventure.
on October 31, 2015
poor quality paper,cheap copy,cheaply put together,barely worth 10usd
on September 21, 2015
Free e-book. Can't go wrong.
on September 12, 2015
Unfortunately, the font is too small for me.
on May 21, 2015
Haven't read it yet but will get around to it;who can complain about free?
on April 26, 2015
Absolutely funny, and colourful characters, a vintage movie every movie buff should see.
on April 19, 2015
Loved it!
on May 11, 2007
Despite being first published over 125 years ago the book is still fresh and suitable for readers of all ages. Quintessential Englishman, Phileas Fogg, accepts a £20,000 bet to circumnavigate the globe in 80 days and immediately sets off with his loyal French servant Passepartout the very same evening. And so begins an extraordinary journey in the age of steam, using all possible transport at that time - "steamers, railways, carriages, a yacht, a trading vessel, a sledge, and an elephant". The novel provides an interesting look at the way the world was in the late 1800s and gives you a glimpse of a variety of cultures. It's a light, fast paced with a stimulating thread of suspense and just a touch of romance. If you've never read Verne's novels, this is an excellent place to begin.