5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, Jan. 8 2014
This review is from: Journey to the Center of the Earth (Paperback)
I've read all Jules Verne's books As a Child and recently I've bad the chance to re-read them all. Even as an adult the story is incredible and the reader can place oneself in the story and carry out to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delicious short story., Nov. 12 2011
J Reader (CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Journey to the Center of the Earth (Paperback)
Jules Verne is one of the fathers of modern science fiction and fantasy. Which is why I wanted to give the story a try. If you are the type of person who shy's away from classic literature due to it's heavy subject matter or outdated stories and concepts. I can assure you that you have no fear of that with Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Forget for a moment that we are in the era of space travel for rich space tourists, satellites and space stations circling the earth. Think to when this book was written, no cars, no planes, people traveled by steam engine and sailing ship. It's the context of Jules Verne's real world of the 1800's that makes this story all the more impressive.

I found the first ten pages difficult to get into because of the language structure. People spoke and wrote differently over 120 years ago however, as I was drawn into the story I no longer took much notice of this.

Journey to the Center of the Earth has a wonderful innocence about it. The gentil love affair between Axel and his betrothed, the stoic strengh and determination of the guide and the wonderment exhibited when they make their underground discoveries.

I can say that you will not be dissapointed by this book. I think it would also be great for young readers (12-13). It has drama, excitement and romance all without being too long. Well worth my $4.00

Journey to the Center of the Earth
Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne (Paperback - March 4 2005)
CDN$ 4.00 CDN$ 3.32