march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 273 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
If you asked me to recommend to you the single best book I have ever read, my answer would be a very definite "Think and Grow Rich".
First published in 1937, this is the end product of two decades of research conducted by Napoleon Hill. His research started when Andrew Carnegie (the steel tycoon who was then the richest man on earth) gave him the assignment of organizing a Philosophy of Personal Achievement. Hill, who was a poor journalist, armed with just an introductory letter from Carnegie, set out to interview over five hundred successful people including Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, John D. Rockefeller, George Eastman, William Wrigley Jr. and Charles M. Schwab. Hill then revealed the priceless wisdom of his research in the form of the thirteen steps to success (in Think and Grow Rich) and the seventeen principles of success (in courses and lectures he conducted).
The concepts taught by Napoleon Hill transformed my life. Some of these include developing a definite purpose, building a Positive Mental Attitude (PMA), channeling the power of the sub-conscious mind and dealing with adversity. Everything he wrote about or talked about is thought provoking. He was wise, humble and funny. His philosophy is universal; he did not mix it with religion. The riches he referred to were more than money, for the Philosophy of Personal Achievement can be applied to anything in life.
Hill was well ahead of his time. This book has a chapter dedicated to some of today's most important issues - Specialized Knowledge, Decision Making, Imagination and Organized Planning (in which he deals with Leadership). He also has principles for Teamwork, Creative Vision, Health, etc.
This is a classic, and hence the examples are old (not to be confused with outdated). But they are as relevant today as they were in the early twentieth century. Here is an example from T&GR in the chapter on Desire:
On the morning after the Great Fire of Chicago (1871), a group of merchants on Chicago's State Street went into a conference to decide whether to rebuild their stores or leave Chicago. All but one decided to leave. The merchant who decided to stay pointed a finger to the remains of his store and said "Gentlemen, on that very spot I will build the world's greatest store, no matter how many times it may burn down." His name was Marshall Field and his store still exists, and in Hill's words is "a towering monument to that state of mind known as a burning desire." I lived in Chicago from 2002 through 2004 and worked three blocks away from this impressive store on State Street. Sometimes I would visit it or stand outside it to derive inspiration and be reminded of the power of desire. It is amazing that Hill describes "burning desire" with a story based on the Chicago Fire.
There are thousands of self-help books out in the market and hundreds of self proclaimed "gurus" who have made a living by copying the wisdom in Hill's books. As I went through some of those books I realized that there was not much in them that Hill had not already written about. I recommend quality over quantity. Instead of reading through many books, I recommend that you study the following works of Hill and internalize his wisdom:
1. The Think and Grow Rich Action Pack (1937) - I recommend the Action Pack edition,
2. Napoleon Hill's Keys to Success: The 17 Principles of Personal Achievement - this is an excellent guide to his principles,
3. Your Right To Be Rich [Unabridged] - this consists of 12 hours of live lectures covering the 17 principles, that Hill conducted in Chicago in 1954.
By internalizing, I mean studying in depth - analyzing the ideas, making notes and summaries. I own more CDs by Hill, but I believe that these 3 items make the perfect study plan on the Philosophy of Personal Achievement.
I am greatly indebted to Napoleon Hill. The purpose of my writing this is to spread awareness of his work so that more people can benefit from it. This, I believe is the best way in which Hill would have liked to have been repaid.
0Comment|133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 9, 2004
I know that they are many personal development books and tapes and seminars and other programs. But in all my years I have never seen anything that delivers like Think and Grow Rich does.
To be honest, it took me awhile to figure out the secret that Hill was taking about. Of course, I found some people who still haven't figured it out. Perhaps they are the people giving this great book 1 stars.
Not a big book, Think and Grow Rich is only 230 pages and 15 chapters. What sold me on buying this book (I used to hate these self books and thought they were too Pollyannaish) was when I read that Clement Stone turned $100 into over $36 million by following the principles in this book.
At the time I first heard about this book, I was flat broke and deepling debt. That all changed and quickly thanks to following the principles in Think and Grow Rich.
To me the 6 step self confidence formula on page 36 coupled with the chapter on autosuggestion did the most for me. I also memorized the poem on page 38 and would say it outloud on my way to sales calls while driving in my car. Drivers next to me on the road found me very entertaining I suppose...but I found this simple exercise very beneficial to me.
Think and Grow Rich had a profound effect on my life. I cannot recommend this book or any book by Napolean Hill for that matter highly enough. They are life changing and powerful.
on September 1, 2015
One of my favorite books of all time. Napoleon Hill is a genius! This book is truly inspirational and will help change the way you think about life and the way you think about success and money! Hill's steps to success are well thought out and written in an easy to follow no-nonsense way.

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to change their belief systems to prepare themselves for success! Buy this book now!
on January 31, 2015
Truly a classic. A lot of inspirational speakers take their cues from this book. Some of them down right plagerize from Napolen Hill. I think this was written originally in the 1930s and what makes it a classic is that it has withstood the test of time and its message still rings true today. A must read.
This is a good CD. I own it and have listened to it a few times. Earl Nightingale gives a clear summary of Think and Grow Rich. To me, Napoleon Hill is the greatest success author/speaker ever and Think and Grow Rich is the single greatest book I have ever read. However, a part of this particular CD feels like an advertisement and could have been skipped. Also, the editorial reviews and the narrator of this CD talk about 13 principles. This could sometimes be the cause of confusion. Hill organized 13 Steps Toward Riches (in Think and Grow Rich) and 17 Principles of Personal Achievement (in his courses and lectures), also referred to as 17 Keys to Success. This CD talks about the 13 Steps in T&GR.
I would recommend this CD to you only after you have heard the 9 CD set that contains twelve hours worth of live lectures in Napoleon Hill's own voice. The set is called Your Right To Be Rich and was recorded in 1954 in Chicago. In this, Napoleon Hill talks about each of his seventeen Principles of Personal Achievement. The set is amazingly inexpensive and well worth the investment in cost, time and effort.
on December 10, 2013
Mind = Blown

...comment above really explains it all but I needed 17 more words. You'll love this book as long as you're willing to read it with an open mind and follow the steps provide. You will have success.
on April 24, 2013
I read this book over thirty years ago. I thought, naively at the time, that there would be a secret on a particular page that would transform my life. When I had finished it I thought I must have missed something for I didn't come away with a secret. What I didn't know was that I had learned the secret. It wasn't until years later after having the book come into my life on different occasions that I realized how powerful this little book is. It won't tell you to do A or move to B but what it will have you do is THINK. Life presents options every day. How you react can make the difference that this book suggests.
I have long thought that financial education is the key to your future but I am only partially right. This book, with the thought it requires, can change your future. An entrepreneur has the drive to make things happen. He/she has a vision and works towards it and the result is (hopefully) success. If you hadn't been thinking like that before then this book will rock your world if you embrace it.
Think and Grow Rich is not just the title it is a mantra for change. Enjoy !
This review was written for the original version, which is the core of this version. This revised edition has more recent examples. If my review was helpful to you, I request you to select "Yes" so that the rating is improved and more readers will get to read it. Please also see the website of the Napoleon Hill Foundation, naphill dot org, which has helpful resources.
Those who have read one or more of the volumes that comprise Tom Butler-Bowdon's "50 Classics" series already know that he possesses superior reasoning and writing skills as well as a relentless curiosity when conducting research on history's greatest thinkers and their major works. For these and other reasons, I cannot think of another person better qualified to provide the introductions to the volumes that comprise a new series, "Capstone Classics."

Think and Grow Rich was based on two decades of research conducted by Napoleon Hill (concluded in 1928) after being retained by Andrew Carnegie to complete an analysis of 500 of the most successful people in the United States and elsewhere. The title of his original report, "Laws of Success," consisted of 1,500 pages in a series of seven volumes, in which Hill lists and discusses 17 "principles of achievement." It is worth noting that this volume in the "Capstone Classics" series also contains both the "Publisher's Preface to Original Edition" and the "Author's Introduction to the Original Edition" (published in 1937) and a list of those interviewed by Napoleon Hill over a 20-year period.

Unlike so many others, Butler-Bowdon provides more, much more than a flimsy "briefing" to the given work. For this volume, he creates a context, a frame-of-reference, for Napoleon Hill's insights in a 16-page introduction in which he addresses subjects, themes, and issues such as these:

o A brief but remarkably insightful review of pertinent details in Hill's circumstances when retained by Carnegie
o His magazine ventures, notably Hill's Golden Rule and Napoleon Hill's Magazine
o Hill's DRAFT of a book, The 13 Steps to Riches, based on material introduced in "Laws of Success"
o Original title of DRAFT was changed to Use Your Noodle to Win More Boodle and then, final, to Think and Grow Rich
o Hill's "four clear elements of success" (i.e. desire, faith, plans, and persistence)
o The moral and spiritual foundation of Think and Grow Rich
o 31 reasons why people fail
o The self-defeating aspects of personality that many (most?) people do not recognize

So what is "The "Supreme Secret" of success revealed by Hill in a later work, Grow Rich with Peace of Mind, published in 1967, three years before his death? "Anything the human mind can believe, the human mind can achieve." Although it may now be fashionable to dismiss (often with ridicule) all such aphorisms, the fact remains that every success in life does indeed require an idea, an insight, that someone then makes a reality.

Thomas Edison was right: "Vision without execution is hallucination" but execution without purpose is merely effort without value. As Butler-Bowdon suggests, "Hill was saying that there were [begin italics] no limits [end italics] to what a person can do [unless self-imposed], and history has proved it so thousands of times with the stories of any remarkable person."

As indicated earlier, Tom Butler-Bowdon's purpose in this introduction is to create a context, a frame-of-reference, for Hill's insights. He does so brilliantly in this instance and in each of the other volumes in the Capstone Classics series that have been published thus far.
on July 26, 2013
Every motivated individual who is trying to figure out how to get to where they want to be in life must read this book as it tells you exactly how to get there... I recommend this book 100%. I'm still not done yet but i'm loving it.