5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Buy for Any Detective Story Fan
This is easily the best collection of UNABRIDGED Sherlock Holmes stories I've ever encountered. The cover is tastefully designed and has the feel of a "good old book" often lacking in today's modern printed works.

Published on April 7 2010 by WryGrin

1.0 out of 5 stars Criminal
This review has nothing to do with the work of the author but is solely based on the quality of the product I ordered and received.

Published 13 months ago by JLC

1.0 out of 5 stars Criminal, March 22 2014
JLC (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews

To be clear, I refer directly to the paperback edition published by "Createspace"; Amazon displays the bookcover as green and cream, with the word bighousepub.com clearly visible on the back. Avoid ordering this one at all costs, it is a scam. I fell for it. I was unaware and unprepared for having to do due diligence in researching my purchasing options from Amazon, who I had previously considered to be a reputable web retailer.

When I received this book, it was obvious the cover was printed from a low resolution source material and gave the impression of having been done by someone with rudimentary Photoshop skills and a low-end printer. Upon looking inside, I was more shocked to find the pages filled with unformatted walls of text. All paragraphs, proper spacing, and carriage returns of any kind were completely removed, I can only guess to cram the work onto as few pages as possible. The result is unreadable.

I was unaware before ordering that Createspace is in fact an Amazon self-publishing company and it would appear that "bighousepub.com" are rip-off artists who have illegally published the edition through Amazon in order to score royalties from the odd sale to dupes like me.

It is an affront to the work of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle that someone would bastardize it and then capitalize upon it in such a manner, but the bigger travesty is that Amazon is party to the creation and distribution of this sham.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Buy for Any Detective Story Fan, April 7 2010

I've read in other reviews that "the print is too small"... I however, find that the print is no smaller than any other book more than two or three hundred pages long, and is clear and well spaced on the pages, which are light-wight to accomodate the weight of such a large volume.

The one and only thing I could say against it would be that it IS a large book, so anyone looking to read it on the bus is likely to have trouble, but then again, it's all of Doyle's works concerning our favorite detective, and that must be taken into concideration.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor binding on Doubleday hardcover edition, June 15 2001
Jeremiah@AWS (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
To be a well-rounded person, you must read the wonderful stories of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. You will be amazed by the number of English expressions and culural assumptions that originate in these stories.
The Doubleday hardcover binding was atrocious, however. I bought this edition to read completely cover-to-cover, so I concede the edition was in for some heavy use. But the bound pages began to separate from the cover on the first day. By the time I was done. the cover was separated, and the bound pages had fallen into a number of chunks. Even the title print on the spine had been struck twice and appeared sloppy. The book was damaged beyond usefulness after one reading.
Read the stories, but don't get the Doubleday hardcover.

3.0 out of 5 stars Content vs Binding, June 5 2002
By A Customer
This my first foray into Holmes and I am thoroughly enjoying it. My only complaint is that the binding of this edition is beginning to come apart, in spite of gentle treatment. And I had bought this edition rather than the paperback because many large paperbacks have this very problem!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tribute to Dr. Joseph Bell, May 9 2001
Kendal B. Hunter (Provo, UT United States) - See all my reviews
Many people do not realize that Sherlock Holmes is really based on a real person! When Doyle was attending medical school, one of his professors, Dr. Joseph Bell, could deduce the life of his patients by simple observation. This seed eventually blossomed into Sherlock Holmes.
To begin with, we all know who he is and what he is about, but we can take the next step and actually read the stories behind the icon. Most Sherlockians agree that it is best not to start with "A study in Scarlet." I think it is best to start with the collection "Adventures of Sherlock Holmes," with the story "A scandal in Bohemia" then rad your way through several of the collations. then you can go back and read "A Study in Scarlet," and "The Sign of Four." Doyle's writing gets better as the stories progress, until you hit "The Hound of the Baskervilles."
AS been noted, Holmes becomes a bit of an addiction. Doyle is that good of a writer. As I said, everyone knows who he is, like Tarzan, Elvis, or Madonna.
The only drawback is that some of Doyle's earlier stories can get a bit tedious and somewhat formulaic at times. But the attraction is still there!
Yes, it is worth the money to buy the complete Sherlock "cannon!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value at a low price, March 3 2008
Juran Liu (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
After visiting the Sherlock Holmes Museum in London, I found great interest in this famous fictional detective. I read most of the Sherlock Holmes books online, but eventually I decided to get a copy for collection. This edition, I believe, is the most economical one that fulfills the purpose. The book is thick, and the paper is okay, but thin. So if you buy it for collection, or you would only read it once or twice, I supposed it would be adequate. However, if you like to study on Sherlock Holmes thoroughly, you probably would need a more enduring copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Vintage Classic, Feb. 5 2011
After watching the new Sherlock Holmes movie, I finally decided to start reading the Sherlock Holmes stories. There was one problem: I did not know where to start. I knew that there were quite a few stories and I wanted to read them all in the order that they were written. I searched my local library catalog and found either only some of the stories or large books containing all the Holmes stories. Instead of borrowing the large book from the library and rushing through the whole thing before the return date, I decided to buy my own copy. I searched a few websites and finally settled on this edition. The vintage-looking cover is what convinced me; it was neat and tastefully done. When I received the book I was quite satisfied, although there was one problem: the paper is very thin compared to other higher-quality books and is very white (I would have preferred a paper that was not so bleached). Nonetheless, this is a wonderful edition of the Sherlock Holmes stories and it makes for some great bed-time reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's All Here, July 22 2001
I remember my first encounter with Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. It was just after my fifteenth birthday and I had gotten some money. I was trailing my mother through a department store, and was bored to tears, when I ran across a rack of paperback books (it was the early 1960's and there weren't bookstores all over the place, then). I'd heard of Sherlock Holmes and I'd heard of "The Hound Of The Baskervilles", but didn't know anything about either. I picked up a copy of "The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes" and was intrigued, so I also grabbed a copy of "The Hound..." and used a bit of my birthday money to buy them both. I started reading "The Hound..." in the car on the way home, and kept reading after we arrived. In fact, I couldn't put it down. I finished it before I went to sleep that night. It was the beginning of a long and satisfying acquintance. Now, all of Sir Arthur's original Holmes stories can be had right here in one complete volume. Whether you're a mystery lover, or you just like a good story, it doesn't get any better than this. What more could you ask for. I have a copy, and it's given me many hours of great reading. I think most other people will enjoy it, too. I recommend it most highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for budding supersleuths, May 21 2001
This is the essential collection of the adventures of the greatest detective of all time, Sherlock Holmes and his rather slow-witted foil, Dr. Watson. The atmosphere of the foggy, lacklustre streets of London, peopled by constables and hansoms, comes wafting out of these pages, as Holmes and Watson succeed in solving numerous problems, featuring some of the most memorable episodes in pop literature. Holmes is undeniably one of the most striking personages in the history of fiction. An expert fencer, boxer and an addict of "seven-percent solution" cocaine, he is eccentric, yet brilliant, patriotic, though possessed of immense analytical powers. The tales, which are, for the most part, extremely well-constructed, and are loaded with suspense and surprise, range from the adventure of "The Red-Headed League" to the "Hound of the Baskervilles" and "The Final Problem" in which Holmes engages in a deadly confrontation with his arch-enemy and, arguably, his intellectual equal, Professor Moriarty, the "Napoleon of crime".

5.0 out of 5 stars What else needs to be said?, Aug. 27 2000
This is the best way I can summarize the book: Without question the best detective fiction ever written. Period. Doyle's Holmes & Watson is one of the greatest creations in literature. The logical and deductive analysis is profound, as well as the characters & stories themselves. Holmes, while on the surface possesses extremely rare qualities which almost any person in the world would want to have, also houses many imperfections, making him all the more believable. There is Watson, his trusted chronicler and close friend by his side, there to give humor and even more realism to it all, and to provide a balance to Holmes. Among the best reads you'll find are "The Hound of the Baskervilles", "The Adventure of the Speckled Band," "The Final Problem," & "The Red-Headed League". Set in Victorian England during the late 1800's and early 1900's, I think the London environment provides that much more to the characters and original storylines. It's one of the cornerstones of the Holmes mystique, I think. Unforgettable characters such as Mr. Stapleton, Charles Augustus Milverton, Inspector Lestrade, and of course the greatest villain of all-time (just edging out Keyser Soze), Professor James Moriarty. The stories are unbelievable, and how Doyle managed to write them while in a physician's office I'm not sure. Every story I read I tried to figure out the ending as best I could, and of the 60 written I managed once or twice. If you haven't read Holmes' adventures before, or have but are not in possession of all of them, get this book asap.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Paperback - Oct. 22 2009)
CDN$ 6.00 CDN$ 5.65