5.0 out of 5 stars book to have in your library
I hesitated to buy the book since I have the original Fair Isle Knitting but I found lots of new patterns. I also like the organization by country. The book is in black and white which I love. I find colours in chart to distracting from the motif. In black and white, I can imagine the motif in lots of different colours more easily.
I really good addition to personal...
Published on Dec 7 2011 by Chantal Boissinot

3.0 out of 5 stars No color charts
Published on Nov. 25 2011 by A. Anderson

4.0 out of 5 stars Bien fait, Jan. 30 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Alice Starmore's Charts for Color Knitting: New and Expanded Edition (Paperback)
Cet ouvrage comporte énormément de modèles à réaliser. Ce qu'il manque, par contre, c'est que le nombre de rangs de hauteur et le nombre de maille de largeur ne sont pas indiqués pour chaque motif, alors il faut compter soi-même chaque petit point... Mais le choix de motifs est très varié et très amusant.

5.0 out of 5 stars book to have in your library, Dec 7 2011
Chantal Boissinot (quebec city) - See all my reviews
I really good addition to personal library.
I woud have like it if the book had been spiral bound to keep pages open more easily

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Addition to Your Knitting collection., Nov. 5 2011
Laura (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
As a knitter who loves doing fair isle and multi-coloured knitting, Alice Starmore's Charts for Color Knitting was a wonderful addition to my knitting books. I have the reprint of Alice's last Fair Isle book and this one has many different patterns from around the world that are not included in her previous text. Alice's books are a must if you like coloured strand work.

3.0 out of 5 stars No color charts, Nov. 25 2011
A. Anderson (Lillooet, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Being new to Fair Isle I expected the 'color' to be on the charts, but that's not the case. Alice Starmore wants us to design from our own passion but when I see her available designs, I'm completely at a loss to imagine designing such intricate use of color and pattern. I'm sure there are many creative people out there better able to use these black and white charts than I as a newcomer. I'll keep it on the shelf and perhaps with experience I'll develop the skill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Impressive Color Knitting Stitch Library, not to miss, June 17 2013
Hayley Cann (Québec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I own many books for color knitting, including Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting, but this Dover edition takes the cake. The price of the book is very good for the many, many (too many to count) patterns published in it.

Not only that there is a real attention to giving an assortment of different types of patterns, allover patterns, border patterns, single motifs, vertical motifs, you name it, it's in.

The book is organised in these practical sections: Introduction, Designing Patterned Sweaters, Traditional Knitting Patterns (subdivided into: Norway; Sweden; Finland; Latvia, Estonia and Lituania; Russia, South America), Adapted Patterns (subdivided into: Celtic, Greece, Caucasus, Middle East, Far East), The Continuing Story (which is mostly constituted of motifs inspired from nature or landscapes and is subdivided into the following sections: Birds and Flowers, Sea and Shoreline, The Inner Landscape), A Word on Colour, Alice Starmore (R) yarns (advertisement for Alice Starmore' yarn business) and About the Author.

The design your own sweater is best kept to those knitters who have a little experience in veering off pattern instructions. The author explains how to design from actual measurements and though this is invaluable, it may seem daunting for beginners.

The stitch patterns are only black and white, and don't use symbols to suggest the color changes either. This is perhaps the main drawback of the book, though there are photographs of knitted pieces (some models with a sweater, some are close-up pieces of the knit fabric) which are in colour and very beautiful. The stitch counts and row counts are not given, and you're left to distinguish the pattern repeat and symmetry add-on stitches by yourself. There are explanations in the designing section on how to do this though. Still for such a generous amount of patterns in such a reasonably priced book, I wouldn't complain about the editing.

A very good book for knitters of skill level intermediate and higher interested in customized color-work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich assortment of charts for fair isle, Dec 17 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Alice Starmore's Charts for Color Knitting is an excellent tool for designing a fair isle sweater, with a wide range of charts and some helpful examples of use of color.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book for stranded knitting fans, Oct. 1 2012
Charlene Vickers (Winnipeg, Manitoba) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
"Charts for Color Knitting" couldn't have a more obvious title if it tried. It's exactly what it says on the cover: tons of charts from all over Europe and beyond that can be used in stranded knitting. I especially like that Starmore doesn't shove her colour preferences into the charts and just gives shapes; to be honest I'm not fond of her colour choices, and the plain black-and-white charts make it easier for me to decide what colours I want to use.

There's very little I'd change: perhaps more charts and fewer photographs (and especially less/no advertising for Starmore - we get it, we already bought the book), and it would be nice if it had been spiral bound so it would lie flat. But really, you can't complain too much about this book given what it does contain.

Alice Starmore's Charts for Color Knitting: New and Expanded Edition