5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for lovers of historical romantic fiction!
Published on April 19 2003 by J. P. Warrant

3.0 out of 5 stars For those who have not read other Spencer romances
Published on April 3 2000 by number1fan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for lovers of historical romantic fiction!, April 19 2003
J. P. Warrant "JPW" (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hummingbird (Paperback)
As of now, there are only three books that I would take the time to read over and over again. "Years" by LaVyrle Spencer is one; "Hummingbird" is another; the third is "The Thornbirds" by Colleen McCullough. I've read all three of them time and time again, and they always make me cry. (That's saying a lot for a girl who is normally not prone to emotions!)
This is an excellent book. Some have complained about the bickering between the two main characters, but I think that just added to the romantic tension. I really just wanted to slap each of them upside the head and say, "Don't you see what his happening here?!?!"
I have to admit: I was never really into romance novels until my sister recommended LaVyrle Spencer to me. Her novels keep me captivated to the end of the book. They keep me guessing. I absolutely HATE it when the two main characters meet and sleep together in the first 100 pages. LaVyrle Spencer keeps the reader guessing, and keeps the tension a vital part of the romance.
Her novels seem to follow a particular pattern, yes, but it's a pattern that keeps me reading. I recommend her books to any romance novel fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Abigail, Jesse & David. An irreverent & enjoyable triangle, Aug. 27 1998
This review is from: Hummingbird (Paperback)
This book was my introduction into Lavyrle's world. I found this treasure at a used book store nine years ago and I have read it more times than I can accurately recall. Abigail met her challenges and her disappointments with extraordinary grace and dignity. The protective wall she hid behind reminds me of the story of the sword that only the worthy one, Arthur could claim. Who can penetrate the wall of Abigail's heart? Jesse is somewhat predictable but who cares, I'd like a big hug from this guy on a cold winter's night too! LaVyrle is a gifted writer. You not only become aquainted with all the characters in this story, they become real enough, that you expect to see them standing at your own door. There are no perfect love stories. This story is filled with imperfections...of the human kind. In this story, people learn to grow, people learn to appreciate unique qualities in others, people learn to love, people get hurt, people learn to live with the cards life has dealt them. And just when things appear to be moving right along as life should, a wonderful curve appears just ahead. The characters are totally believable and so was the setting. When Jesse and Abigail where on that front porch swing, I could feel the night air on my skin. I closed my eyes and could clearly the see the land they crossed during their buggy ride. This book catapulted me into ransacking every book store for any book penned by Ms. Spencer. I'm glad Jesse DuFrayne rode in on a train and I'd buy a pair of those red shoes from David too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and passionate love story, a keeper!, Dec 31 1997
This review is from: Hummingbird (Paperback)
The author spends the majority of the book concentrating on the developing romance between Jesse and Abigail. They start out absolutely despising each other, they bicker - constantly - but it's not annoying bickering, it's funny (I laughed out loud more than once) and it's believable, then over the course of the book they become friends. This was a close to perfect book but it wasn't perfect because it was about 80 pages too long, IMO. About three-quarters of the way through the book Jesse is healed and takes a back seat in the action as the author explores the conflicting emotions in Abigail's head as she considers a proposal from David, the perfect bore, umm, I mean, gentlemen. Fortunately, the last few chapters were definitely worth hanging in there for. The historical details were great, I really felt like I was whisked back to 1879, and the dialogue was down-to-earth. There were so many lines that made me melt, here's one:
"She'd had so little love, he thought, I will drown her in it for the rest of her life". This from an alpha hero! How can you resist?
Comical, touching and wonderful. Despite my little complaints, I'm very glad I finally read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!, Oct. 9 2003
M. I. "krushedvelvet" (Old Bridge, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hummingbird (Paperback)
Wow! My very first LaVyrle Spencer! What a treat! What a book! I LOVED Abbie and Jesse. They had the most amazing chemistry Ive ever read! From the moment they met I honestly think that they were ruined for anyone else..they were just soooo DRAWN to eachother!I adored both characters, but I have to say it was Abbie who really entertained me the most. She was wild. Some of the things she said and did...oh, and her thoughts to herself were an absolute riot! Ms. Spencer has an amazing talent when it comes to writing dialogue...wow, it just flows. I had one little quibble with this book and that was with the way the situation with David was handled. However, I adored this book soooo much, that this wasnt enough of an issue to dampen my enjoyment of the overall story. I HIGHLY recommend immersing yourself in this. What a read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spencer Does It Once Again!!, Jan. 24 2003
This review is from: Hummingbird (Paperback)
The only disappointment that I feel is that I came to learn about this author so late. I love her books, especially YEARS. So far that is my favorite. I also love the love story between Jesse and Abigail. And I can't believe I am writing this but I didn't feel the leat bit sorry for David. I usually feel sorry for the under dog. He was really getting on my nerves. Even the wound he sustained on the train wasn't a man's wound. I think the only back bone he had was when he got angry.
I enjoyed the constant bickering between Jesse and Abigail. It made me smile to myself most of the time. I truly recommend this book to anyone. My only reget is that I took this book out of the library rather than buying it. We all know that books can be rather costly these days. But, I can always take it out agin.

3.0 out of 5 stars For those who have not read other Spencer romances, April 3 2000
number1fan (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hummingbird (Paperback)
Although this story is enjoyable and the love scenes are steamy, it was somewhat disappointing for me. The reader does not learn much of what's going on inside Abigail's mind. In the scene where she and Jesse go to the mountains and she fills him in on her past, the reader never gets to hear Abbie's own words. It seems like a big piece is missing here. I was also disturbed by the scene with the gunpoint kiss - too much like a rape scene for my liking. Jesse's character is like Rhett Butler in Gone With the Wind, only we see his violent side too soon and too often, before the reader can learn to like him.
This book may have been more enjoyable if I were not such a big fan of the author's later work. I recommend it for romance fans who have not read LaVyrle Spencer's other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVED THIS BOOK! I WANTED TO JUMP RIGHT INTO THIS SCENE,, April 13 1999
This review is from: Hummingbird (Paperback)
I just recentley started reading Lavyrle books. They all have been so fun and keep me so involved. I do not want to put them down. I am very sad to found out she has retired. This book is wonderful. I was hoping Jesse would return but didn't know what was going to happen until right up to the last page. I wish there would be a sequel to these to characters. Abbie and Jesse. Please Ms. Spencer don't quit now. I am working on your 6th book and I am not going to quit until I read them all. Everyone has been quite the page turner and I have never cried so much when reading books usaully just movies. Hummingbird couldn't get any better. Thankyou for sharing all your talent with us. You are grand.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Spencer's best!, Aug. 1 1999
This review is from: Hummingbird (Paperback)
This is one of my favorite books of all time. It's a great story of two very different people and what brings them together. I was a little confused with the storyline concerning Mr. Melcher (the pansy)- I mean, get real, does the woman really think he was her last chance? She didn;t even know the guy! And, like another previous comment, the forceful nature of Jesse is a bit much. However, he is the man to end all men. I loved the last night Jesse and Abbie had together- it's romantic and sweet (although somewhat too descriptive for my taste). This was a sweet story and you'll want to read it again and again. Definitely one of Spencer's best!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Spencer's best!, Aug. 1 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, tempestuous love story., Sept. 7 1999
This review is from: Hummingbird (Paperback)
Hummingbird is vintage Lavyrle Spencer. Abigail's devotion to nursing her two charges is exhausting. Of course, it did not take long to discover just who the real gentleman in the house was (Jesse, of course). The ending of this story is unique and absorbing, full of visual imagery and sizzling sensuality. Wow!
I was delighted later to read where a Mr. and Mrs. Jesse DuFrayne (Ab and Jesse) were one of the first guests at Waverley Plantation (The Gamble), where we learn that Abbie is expecting their first child. What delightful fun to discover this little tidbit in another novel! Thank you, Lavyrle, for your prodigious gifts.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Hummingbird Can
Hummingbird Can by LaVyrle Spencer (Mass Market Paperback - May 1983)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01