5.0 out of 5 stars Clever Story !!
So many stories about these clever and helpful cats.
They really do love bits of cheese and are adept at finding them !!
Published 10 months ago by Sally Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her strongest
This look into the continuing saga of qwill and kok left a taste like cotton candy, glad it's there, but it melts away real fast. A rambling series of subplots, with the most effective and continuous being the the 'Spell Game' makes the book disjoint and adds to a feeling of being put together from a computer based story plot program. Where are the CATS? Where are the...
Published on Feb. 22 1998

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever Story !!, Sept. 20 2013
So many stories about these clever and helpful cats.
They really do love bits of cheese and are adept at finding them !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Yum Yum Goes Cuckoo for a Yo-Yo, Oct. 16 2006
Dennis Phillips (Bulls Gap, Tennessee) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cat Who Sang for the Birds (Mass Market Paperback)
Once again we tune in on the denizens of Moose County and find all in an uproar. In fact there are several uproars going on in this cozy neighborhood located 400 miles north of everywhere. First there is the new art center which most people love but the director somehow expects the farmers in the vicinity to keep their dirt off of the roads. When it rains you see, that dirt becomes mud and eventually gets tracked into the art center. Worse yet, the library has gotten rid of their card catalog and replaced it with a computer. This little innovation even sparks a demonstration complete with a grill for burning protestor's library cards.

Amid all of the normal Pickax City hubbub resides the ever-affable Jim Qwilleran and his mystery solving cats Koko and Yum Yum. In this entry in the series Koko has taken to singing like a bird and communing with his bird friends as often as he can. He has also been on the case again after a suspicious fire claims the life of one of Pickax's oldest citizens. The authorities rule that the fire started with a kerosene heater but Qwill doesn't buy it and neither does Koko. Yum Yum for her part is happy playing with her new yo-yo.

Eventually of course everything works out and as in previous books Qwill looks back to see just how precise Koko's clues were. For those new to the series Koko, although talented can't talk but he tries to tell Qwill what has happened in some odd ways. Usually however Qwill doesn't figure out Koko's clues until he has solved the mystery on his own. The best thing about this series besides the wonderful cast of characters is that the reader gets the same clues as does Qwilleran and if one pays very close attention Koko will tell you who done it long before the solution is revealed.

Overall this book, while enjoyable is just a little darker than most of the previous entries, although the body count is fairly low especially compared to some of its predecessors. I can't put my finger on the difference but there is a slightly different tone to this book and it is not an altogether welcome change. On the other hand this is still a very fun and entertaining read and this is a book that should be on every cozy mystery lover's bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars for Moose County content 4 for anyone else, Jan. 23 2004
Jeanne Tassotto (Trapped in the Midwest) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cat Who Sang for the Birds (Mass Market Paperback)
Jim Qwilleran, newspaper columnist and wealthiest man in Moose County (400 miles north of everywhere) finds himself involved in another round of mysteries. This time an eccentric Moose County old timer dies under circumstances that make Qwill suspicious. Aided by hints dropped by Koko, his Siamese cat, Qwill begins to unravel the mystery and is led into a tangle involving county corruption, love affairs and greed. As always Qwill and Koko manage to solve the crimes even though the usual Moose County events intrude.
For fans of the series there are many Moose County moments to savor. There is enough mystery here to satisfy fans of the general cozy genre as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Koko and the birds are funny, July 7 2001
V. VanCamp "lovesbookslovesmusic" (Ithaca, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cat Who Sang for the Birds (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved this book. It was cute and adorable and a good mystery. I love Qwill's relationship with his cats. Lilian Jackson Braun has a neat way of writing (such as "Qwilleran ... made a dive for the Moose County telephone directory" and "His housemates obviously felt neglected, however. Their motto was: when unhappy, tear something up. The interior of the barn had been given the confetti treatment." and "Koko was bleating his new lament: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa." She makes me laugh often. The characters are interesting and I like the town of Pickax.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Introduction to "The Cat Who" Books, June 3 2001
This review is from: The Cat Who Sang for the Birds (Mass Market Paperback)
This is my first "Cat Who" book, and I must say I was disappointed. There didn't seem to be much of a plot and there was no really no character build-up. There was no remorse over the 'Butterfly Girl' because we never really got to know her and the rogue boyfriend didn't seem to fit with any of the rest of the book. The cats were mentioned very little and the 'psychic' powers of Koko - while interesting - were more than implausible with the 'WEST' deductions.
All-in-All it was an "I must finish this book because I paid for it." experience. Based on the comments of other reviewers - this was not Braun's best - So I may still give one of the earlier books a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read!, Sept. 8 2000
This review is from: The Cat Who Sang for the Birds (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a wonderful read! Anyone who like cats will really enjoy Lilian's books. I have read this book and "The Cat Who Tailed a Thief" and I've enjoyed them both. I can't wait to obtain ALL Lilian Jackson Braun's books about these wonderful cats!
The main reasons I like these books are 1) I like adventures and mysteries concerning animals and 2) The way she makes KoKo so mystical and wise makes me realize I'm not the only person who believes cats DO have some kind of unworldly knowledge. Thank you Lilian Jackson Braun!
I just wish I didn't have to wait for her books to get on the clearance rack.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one that got me hooked!, Aug. 21 2000
This review is from: The Cat Who Sang for the Birds (Mass Market Paperback)
A couple of years ago, I came across this in audiobook format and got it. I had seen some of the books but never purchased any. I listened to it (which is the 20th of the Qwilleran books) and I was hooked! I loved it. I am a cat lover and a lover of light mysteries, and this story had both. The death of a woman in a fire was a little too creepy for me, but other than that, it was light fair very similar to the "Murder She Wrote" TV series that I am still watching in syndication. This book got me hooked and I went to the beginning (The Cat Who Could Read Backwards) and have bought and read the paperback version of each one in order. When I got to this one, I bought and read the book and read it, even though I had heard the audiobook already. It was neat to read the story now that I have a familiarity with the recurring characters. One thing - I don't remember the spelling bee subplot being in the audiobook. The audiobooks are abridged, and that may be something they just removed entirely. (Or I could be forgetting it.) Anyway, I think this is a great book and part of a great series. I am so glad I tried it, and I highly recommend this story and the series to all light mystery lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story teller, Aug. 1 2000
JoAnn Turnquist (Germantown, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cat Who Sang for the Birds (Mass Market Paperback)
Lilian Jackson Braun amazes me at her quaint, but fun style. I enjoy all her books, and especially this one which I just heard on tape. It is refreshing to get to know her characters as they grow in their relationships. She doesn't use foul language or sex or violent descriptions to make a mystery story very intriguing.
Thank you, Ms. Braun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great addition to the series, April 8 2000
Chel Micheline "Chel Micheline" (Southwest Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cat Who Sang for the Birds (Mass Market Paperback)
Although a lot of diehard fans argue that this is the first "The Cat Who" book that may provide evidence that Lillian Jackson Braun is no longer writing the series, I honestly think that "The Cat Who Sang for the Birds" is a wonderful book. It is a great addition to any "Cat Who" collection. The characters in this book are given much care and thought, and it is a definite page turner. It was this book that made me wish for a real Pickax, so that I could go live among these wonderful people. Qwilleran becomes more compassionate in these pages, Polly loses her constant doubting attitude, and the rest of the residents of Pickax become more than just "characters" in Qwill's life. If Lilian Jackson Braun did indeed pass on her pen, then the author of this book would be an excellent successor. Long live the Siamese!

4.0 out of 5 stars My First Time, Nov. 23 1999
The Cat Who Sang For the Birds was my introduction to the series and I've been transported to 400 miles north of anywhere many times since then. Its the relaxed style and wonderful characters that keep me coming back for more.
Heaven is Pickax!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Cat Who Sang for the Birds
The Cat Who Sang for the Birds by Lilian Jackson Braun (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 11 2002)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89