5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, charming, a great read. Step one of a beautiful trip
Maybe it's my fascination with stories set in Ireland but I don't know what to say except I loved this. Roberts hooked me from the first five words, telling of a psychology teacher dreading her own "mental problems" or what she thought were sure signs that she was either going nuts or was already there. (Yee-hah!)
For those of you who like the allure of...
Published on July 12 2002 by John Rossi

3.0 out of 5 stars So-so romance
Published on March 13 2003 by Sharon Knutson

3.0 out of 5 stars So-so romance, March 13 2003
Sharon Knutson "chinamomma" (St. Paul, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jewels of the Sun: The Gallaghers of Ardmore Trilogy #1 (Mass Market Paperback)
Jewels of the Sun, while not my favorite Nora Roberts tale, still was a pleasant way to spend some time...the best part of the story was its placement in Ireland...the setting at the cottage on Faerie Hill in the small town of Ardmore along with the weaving in of Irish fairy tales made a hum drum book sing...the main character, Jude Frances, was not believable...she was initially introduced as an insecure, passive, non-confrontational woman who came to Ireland to write a paper to present as a thesis. Jude did as she was told and never made a scene, even after her 7 month marriage ended in a whimper, yet in a span of under 3 months we are to believe that she turns into a passionate, fist fighting, hot blooded Irish woman not caring at all what other people think of her or her actions. It seemed too big of a leap in a very short span of time. Jude was always apologizing for everything she did or said and believed the best she could be was average...of course you may think the fairy prince Carrick helped her find her way in her struggle to find her place...I did like the supporting characters as well as her love interest, Aidan Gallagher...altogether I have read worse but I have also read much better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, charming, a great read. Step one of a beautiful trip, July 12 2002
John Rossi (Somers Point, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
For those of you who like the allure of mythical legends, fairy stories and tales of eternal love that is present. The couple in question is Carrick the immortal Prince of the Fairies and Gwen Fitzgerald, a simple common woman of noble manners. They were in love and still are, but they let duty and pride get in their way and paid for "turning off" their hearts by spending 300 years apart. So, they need help to break the spell Carrick set so they can be together.
Enter Jude Frances Murray (the uprooted American psychologist) Aidan Gallagher (The owner of the Ardmore's best and finest pub) and the rest of Ardmore's merry citizens. All the spice of Romeo And Juliet without the tragic overtones, told in simple beautiful language with loads of humor.
The writing style was engaging, the scenery very vivid and beautiful. Ms. Roberts for me captured the essence of Ireland here, her heart, her people, her music, and general ambiance very well. I could easily see the countryside with how skillfully Ms. Roberts wrote of it.It made me wish I was there living amongst these people. Warm, compassionate, loving, and at times hard as a rock, but loyal friends for life.
And what a cast this is. These are characters I absolutely loved, from the proud yet soft and heartsick Carrick, gentle loving Gwen, the captivating and very amusing Gallagher trio (Aidan, Shawn and Darcy) to old storyteller Riley, and the kindhearted but fierce O'Toole clan. Ah, to have neighbors like these merry ruffians! :)
Humor abounds in this book from everyone's friendly banter that goes from cussing each other out (playfully) to "kiss-and-make-up" moments. Jude's druken party with Darcy and Brenna was classic. The love scenes here are VERY intense and sensual (I still suffer from dry mouth and increased pulse rate every time I read this book) but they are not too graphic and come across as tender and beautiful rather than lewd and disgusting.
On the whole this was a great book, one I could not put down and often pick up again eagerly. It's a "feel good" story that drives the point home that even though it may take some time and a lot of hardship, true love is a wonderful treasure that is well worth the effort to get and one that you should NEVER turn your back on.

4.0 out of 5 stars good start to the trilogy, June 13 2002
M. Cookson (Colorado Springs) - See all my reviews
I loved this book. Occasionally, I thought Jude needed to develop a spine a little more quickly, but otherwise I liked her. Aidan was an enjoyable character who had some interesting tales to tell, although I didn't think it was entirely believable that he would think Jude needed all the practical details of what a marriage with him could bring her spelled out. For a while there, it seemed as though his brain had left him, but, for the most part I really like him too. The story that runs through the trilogy of Lady Gwen and Carrick is fascinating, and I think it's better integrated into the story than some of the other things Nora Roberts has done (I thought the Legend of Seraphina storyline running through her Dream trilogy was fairly worthless). There were several really fun parts in the book; one that I really enjoyed was when Brenna and Darcy stayed at Jude's cottage for a while, tried on her clothes, and drank a lot. It was hilarious, although at times Jude did come off as a bit pathetic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Enchanting!, Aug. 28 2001
Dizzy Girl (Savannah, GA United States) - See all my reviews
What can I possibly say about this book that will make you want to go out and buy it yourself? It's got romance, enchantement, broken hearts,and a beautiful Irish setting. This book is part of a trilogy by Nora Roberts, focusing on the Gallagher siblings: Aidan, Shawn, and Darcy. There's also an underlying storyline about a ghost that haunts the home of Jude. The ghost, Lady Gwen, is bound to walk the Irish shore and the home until 3 loves bloom. Only then will she be able to be reunited with her true love, Carrick, the fairy king. Now, on to the review.... Jude Murray, feeling more and more out of control of her life after her divorce, quits her prestigious psychology job in Chicago. Feeling the need to escape and discover her roots, she travels to Ardmore, Ireland. There she meets cousins, a few spirits and a man, Aidan, who can't seem to keep his hands off of her. Never in her life has she felt for a man the way she does Aidan. Aidan owns the locan pub in town. He's done his share of adventuring in his life and decides to that it's time to come home to Ireland and manage the family business. When he meets the beautiful "Yank" Jude, he's bound and determined to win her love. I began reading this book and 4 hours later I put it down, teary-eyed and bound and determined to write a review. Never in my life have I wanted to trade places with someone as much as I did Jude. You can actually feel yourself falling in love with Aidan as the story develops. Here is a man, a good man who wants so desperately to love this woman. And here is a woman, who is successful, witty, and loving who just can't see past the pain of her divorce to allow herself to be loved completely by him. In short, I suggest that any serious romance reader buy this book. Nora Roberts has outdone herself! She has such a talent for capturing Ireland and the people who live there. She also has a nack for capturing raw human emotions. I'm working on book two of the series, "Tears of the Moon",which involves the younger Gallagher brother, Shawn. Enjoy "Jewels of the Sun", I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Enchanting!, Aug. 26 2001
Dizzy Girl (Savannah, GA United States) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars An Irish tale of mystical happenings., July 6 2001
Denise Bentley "Kelsana" (The California Redwoods) - See all my reviews
Book one in a trilogy of Ireland, steeped in folklore and magical stories that leave you believing in the ways of fairies and those long gone. Jude Murray has come to stay in the Fairie Hill Cottage after a messy divorce and much sadness. Upon arrival she sees a sad, pale haired woman in the upstairs window. It is only later that she finds out this is the resident ghost who mourns her lost love.
Aidan Gallagher is the owner of the local pub and has his eye on Jude from the moment she enters the door. A loyal and loving man with a sense of purpose that has set a feather in his cap, but is going to find "Our Jude ", as he fondly comes to call her, a bit of a challenge.
Jude finds true friendship, along with a sense of home in Ireland, something she has never felt. The stories of fairies and magic are sprinkled along the way and Jude begins to put them together in a book that becomes her passion. This book was a great beginning to a wonderful trilogy that I enjoyed for the shear sake of being in the book. Kelsana 7/06/01

5.0 out of 5 stars Nora Roberts has done it again!, March 23 2001
"geminigirl529@yahoo.com" (Huntington Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I picked up Jewels of the Sun because of the great reviews it got. Well, I can say that I wasn't disappointed! It was great! I liked how Roberts used Jude to show the reader Ireland through her eyes. Her descriptions of the beautiful landscape and quaintness of the small town makes me wish I could live there.
The story of Jewels of the Sun stars when Jude, who lived in the United States, decides she needs a break and so she returns to Ireland for six months to relax. She has just gotten out of a bad marriage, and she has absolutely low self-confidence. It doesn't help that she get stuck in a storm when she arrives in town. However, she soon meets Aiden, who is gallant and charming and responsible. His family has lived in the area for centuries. He is the owner of a local pub called Gallaghers, and so the relationship starts. The cutest part of the story has to be when Aiden gives Jude a little puppy named Finn. (He will appear in the later novels.)
All of us has at one time or another felt what Jude did before she met Aiden. That's what makes her so likeable; she is not flamboyant or spoiled. She is simple, yet has the purest and kindest heart. The way she bonded with Brenna and Darcy is so touching because the you could tell she has never had any close friends before
Aiden also is not perfect. He is hard-headed, and thinks everything should be his way. Yet you could tell he was a good man. The way these two fit together and the chemistry is so heart-warming!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth The Wait!!!!, Jan. 1 2001
Although I have had Jewels Of The Sun since it was released, I just
now read it. I had a feeling I would fall in love with characters so
quick and easy, as with all Nora's series, I wanted to wait till I had
all books in hand before starting. As hard as the wait was, it was
well worth it!!! In Jewels Of The Sun, we meet Jude Frances Murray, a
professor from Chicago. Realizing the life she is living isn't for
her, she runs off to Ireland to find herself. While there she meets
Aidan Gallagher, who runs the local pub. While Jewels Of The Sun
centers around Jude and Aidan falling in love, it also involves a tale
of Gwen and Carrick, both ghosts from centuries ago searching for lost
love. As far fetched as I believe ghost tales are, I found myself
losing myself in the whole Irish/faerie/ghost scene. I have already
fallen in love with the whole gang in the book, and can't wait to
finish the rest of the series. Boy, I am so glad I waited now!!
Between Jude and Aidan, you can't leave out the rest of the Gallagher
siblings (Shawn and Darcy), not to mention Brenna O'Toole, what a hoot
they are!!! I could go on and on about characters you will just love,
but I will leave it to you to read this series and see for
yourself. Believe me Jewels Of The Sun won't dissappoint. Nora had
done it again!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Jewels' is bedazzling!, Dec 7 2000
By A Customer
This is a great book if you want a nice romance story with a fantastic setting. The description of the Irish countryside was very detailed and it sounded so wonderful that I was ready to jump on a plane and leave the day after I finished it. I thought Jude was a refreshingly unconventional heroine in that she seemed like more like an average person with everyday concerns, rather than some stuck-up beauty queen. I especially liked her slightly neurotic sense of humor. There's not a lot of action (or sex scenes, if you're into that sort of thing) but it didn't detract from the book at all. Though I wasn't crazy about the supernatural scenes, Ms. Roberts kept them short and conveyed them in a mundane, realistic kind of light, which helped in not turning me off to the story. I liked the ending and the clever ways in which the story's loose ends are tied together, and the way it's foreshadowed that there will be sequels following. I think it's a great romance novel that many people will enjoy, and I recommend it very highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars A tragic legend provides an intriguing backdrop, Oct. 3 2000
C. M. Chen (CA) - See all my reviews
Jude Frances Murray has traveled across an ocean to retreat to and make use of Faerie Hill Cottage, a bequest left to her grandmother from a deceased relative. Disillusioned and disappointed by the course her life has taken, she embarks on a journey of self-discovery in the village of Ardmore in Ireland's County Waterford. From the moment she sets foot in his family's pub, proprietor Aidan Gallagher is taken with Jude's quiet beauty, lack of vanity, and shy manner. Determined to open up the spirit he suspects she is repressing, Aidan romances the insecure psychologist while contributing to her pet project with his knowledge of local folklore. Despite their knowledge of an old and tragic legend and its curse, Aidan and Jude never suspect that there is more at stake in the fate of their relationship than just their own happiness.
Nora Roberts has written an adequate story that is interwoven with a splendid legend. The premise of Jude's self-discovery is a promising one but never seems to pan out successfully. Insecure and somewhat convinced of her mediocrity, Jude allows herself to bask in the glow of the praise of her newfound friends in Ardmore. This contradicted her search for self-validation because she was happy to let others validate her. Because of this, I was never convinced of her development as a character. Aidan, however, is a solid and steady hero who helps to move the story along with his wealth of knowledge when it comes to the local folklore. As Roberts ably shows, he has a knack for telling a tale. Readers will find themselves falling into the rhythm of his tales. The stories themselves are the true strength of this book and are beautifully written. The legend of Carrick and Lady Gwen is tightly drawn and fluidly written and is frequently woven into Aidan and Jude's story both in context as well as character.

Jewels of the Sun: The Gallaghers of Ardmore Trilogy #1
Jewels of the Sun: The Gallaghers of Ardmore Trilogy #1 by Nora Roberts (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 27 2004)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.92