Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store NFL Tools

Jewels of the Sun: The Gallaghers of Ardmore Trilogy #1
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange
Price:$10.43+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 165 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
on July 12, 2002
Maybe it's my fascination with stories set in Ireland but I don't know what to say except I loved this. Roberts hooked me from the first five words, telling of a psychology teacher dreading her own "mental problems" or what she thought were sure signs that she was either going nuts or was already there. (Yee-hah!)
For those of you who like the allure of mythical legends, fairy stories and tales of eternal love that is present. The couple in question is Carrick the immortal Prince of the Fairies and Gwen Fitzgerald, a simple common woman of noble manners. They were in love and still are, but they let duty and pride get in their way and paid for "turning off" their hearts by spending 300 years apart. So, they need help to break the spell Carrick set so they can be together.
Enter Jude Frances Murray (the uprooted American psychologist) Aidan Gallagher (The owner of the Ardmore's best and finest pub) and the rest of Ardmore's merry citizens. All the spice of Romeo And Juliet without the tragic overtones, told in simple beautiful language with loads of humor.
The writing style was engaging, the scenery very vivid and beautiful. Ms. Roberts for me captured the essence of Ireland here, her heart, her people, her music, and general ambiance very well. I could easily see the countryside with how skillfully Ms. Roberts wrote of it.It made me wish I was there living amongst these people. Warm, compassionate, loving, and at times hard as a rock, but loyal friends for life.
And what a cast this is. These are characters I absolutely loved, from the proud yet soft and heartsick Carrick, gentle loving Gwen, the captivating and very amusing Gallagher trio (Aidan, Shawn and Darcy) to old storyteller Riley, and the kindhearted but fierce O'Toole clan. Ah, to have neighbors like these merry ruffians! :)
Humor abounds in this book from everyone's friendly banter that goes from cussing each other out (playfully) to "kiss-and-make-up" moments. Jude's druken party with Darcy and Brenna was classic. The love scenes here are VERY intense and sensual (I still suffer from dry mouth and increased pulse rate every time I read this book) but they are not too graphic and come across as tender and beautiful rather than lewd and disgusting.
On the whole this was a great book, one I could not put down and often pick up again eagerly. It's a "feel good" story that drives the point home that even though it may take some time and a lot of hardship, true love is a wonderful treasure that is well worth the effort to get and one that you should NEVER turn your back on.
on August 26, 2001
What can I possibly say about this book that will make you want to go out and buy it yourself? It's got romance, enchantement, broken hearts,and a beautiful Irish setting. This book is part of a trilogy by Nora Roberts, focusing on the Gallagher siblings: Aidan, Shawn, and Darcy. There's also an underlying storyline about a ghost that haunts the home of Jude. The ghost, Lady Gwen, is bound to walk the Irish shore and the home until 3 loves bloom. Only then will she be able to be reunited with her true love, Carrick, the fairy king. Now, on to the review.... Jude Murray, feeling more and more out of control of her life after her divorce, quits her prestigious psychology job in Chicago. Feeling the need to escape and discover her roots, she travels to Ardmore, Ireland. There she meets cousins, a few spirits and a man, Aidan, who can't seem to keep his hands off of her. Never in her life has she felt for a man the way she does Aidan. Aidan owns the locan pub in town. He's done his share of adventuring in his life and decides to that it's time to come home to Ireland and manage the family business. When he meets the beautiful "Yank" Jude, he's bound and determined to win her love. I began reading this book and 4 hours later I put it down, teary-eyed and bound and determined to write a review. Never in my life have I wanted to trade places with someone as much as I did Jude. You can actually feel yourself falling in love with Aidan as the story develops. Here is a man, a good man who wants so desperately to love this woman. And here is a woman, who is successful, witty, and loving who just can't see past the pain of her divorce to allow herself to be loved completely by him. In short, I suggest that any serious romance reader buy this book. Nora Roberts has outdone herself! She has such a talent for capturing Ireland and the people who live there. She also has a nack for capturing raw human emotions. I'm working on book two of the series, "Tears of the Moon",which involves the younger Gallagher brother, Shawn. Enjoy "Jewels of the Sun", I did!
on March 23, 2001
I picked up Jewels of the Sun because of the great reviews it got. Well, I can say that I wasn't disappointed! It was great! I liked how Roberts used Jude to show the reader Ireland through her eyes. Her descriptions of the beautiful landscape and quaintness of the small town makes me wish I could live there.
The story of Jewels of the Sun stars when Jude, who lived in the United States, decides she needs a break and so she returns to Ireland for six months to relax. She has just gotten out of a bad marriage, and she has absolutely low self-confidence. It doesn't help that she get stuck in a storm when she arrives in town. However, she soon meets Aiden, who is gallant and charming and responsible. His family has lived in the area for centuries. He is the owner of a local pub called Gallaghers, and so the relationship starts. The cutest part of the story has to be when Aiden gives Jude a little puppy named Finn. (He will appear in the later novels.)
All of us has at one time or another felt what Jude did before she met Aiden. That's what makes her so likeable; she is not flamboyant or spoiled. She is simple, yet has the purest and kindest heart. The way she bonded with Brenna and Darcy is so touching because the you could tell she has never had any close friends before
Aiden also is not perfect. He is hard-headed, and thinks everything should be his way. Yet you could tell he was a good man. The way these two fit together and the chemistry is so heart-warming!
on January 1, 2001
Although I have had Jewels Of The Sun since it was released, I just
now read it. I had a feeling I would fall in love with characters so
quick and easy, as with all Nora's series, I wanted to wait till I had
all books in hand before starting. As hard as the wait was, it was
well worth it!!! In Jewels Of The Sun, we meet Jude Frances Murray, a
professor from Chicago. Realizing the life she is living isn't for
her, she runs off to Ireland to find herself. While there she meets
Aidan Gallagher, who runs the local pub. While Jewels Of The Sun
centers around Jude and Aidan falling in love, it also involves a tale
of Gwen and Carrick, both ghosts from centuries ago searching for lost
love. As far fetched as I believe ghost tales are, I found myself
losing myself in the whole Irish/faerie/ghost scene. I have already
fallen in love with the whole gang in the book, and can't wait to
finish the rest of the series. Boy, I am so glad I waited now!!
Between Jude and Aidan, you can't leave out the rest of the Gallagher
siblings (Shawn and Darcy), not to mention Brenna O'Toole, what a hoot
they are!!! I could go on and on about characters you will just love,
but I will leave it to you to read this series and see for
yourself. Believe me Jewels Of The Sun won't dissappoint. Nora had
done it again!!!
on August 28, 2001
on December 7, 2000
This is a great book if you want a nice romance story with a fantastic setting. The description of the Irish countryside was very detailed and it sounded so wonderful that I was ready to jump on a plane and leave the day after I finished it. I thought Jude was a refreshingly unconventional heroine in that she seemed like more like an average person with everyday concerns, rather than some stuck-up beauty queen. I especially liked her slightly neurotic sense of humor. There's not a lot of action (or sex scenes, if you're into that sort of thing) but it didn't detract from the book at all. Though I wasn't crazy about the supernatural scenes, Ms. Roberts kept them short and conveyed them in a mundane, realistic kind of light, which helped in not turning me off to the story. I liked the ending and the clever ways in which the story's loose ends are tied together, and the way it's foreshadowed that there will be sequels following. I think it's a great romance novel that many people will enjoy, and I recommend it very highly.
on September 29, 2000
If you read _Jewels of the Sun_, that is what you most certainly want to do. I've had _Jewels of the Sun_ and _Tears of the Moon_ in my "to be read" pile for about a month. I didn't really forget about them, I just had a whole bunch of other things to do. One thing led to another, and pretty soon they were gathering dust. Well, the other day, my mom came home all flustered. I asked her what was the matter, and she told me that one of her friends was moving to Ireland to live with a man she barely knew. They were giving her a going away party, and my mom wanted me to help her wrap up the gifts they were giving to her friend. My mom pulled out a little box of Lucky Charms cereal, a box of Irish Spring soap, some Irish beer, and a couple of brightly packaged Trojans (she was going to be living with a man after all). As I wrapped the Lucky Charms and watched my mom strap condoms to some beer, I started thinking about _Jewels of the Sun_. The whole scenerio seemed rather like Jude's plight to me, and as soon as my mom left for her friends going away party, I was reading Nora Roberts' wonderful book.
Jude Frances Murray decided that she must be crazy. Being a shrink, she ought to know. She had just quit her job as a respectable teacher-- that's right, she up and quit! no sabatical, she's now unemployed-- and was now traveling to Ireland to try and find herself. She was planning to stay in her granny's little cottage on Faerie Hill and do some work on a paper she was planning to submit to the school board. Little did Jude know that she was entering a land of faeries and myths and that her life was about to change forever.
Aidan Gallagher has finally come home to the little village of Ardmore. After his years of globe trotting, he's decided that staying in the village that he was raised in and becoming the head of the family pub is the life for him. Aidan has a soft spot for lonely hearts, and so when Jude breezed into his pub one day, his heart was hers. He sees that they were meant for each other, and he wants to show it to Jude.
Jude is blown over by the Irish automosphere of the town of Armore. She can see why her granny speaks so fondly of the sleepy little sea side village. As Jude starts to come out of her shell, she falls in love with Ireland and her new life there. She's making friends with the local girls, and the Gallagher family feels like her own... not to mention she's falling in love with Aidan. So, Jude's path to slef discovery thickens, but can she and Aidan overcome the obsticals in their lives to be together?
After a couple weeks of reading books that were okay, I finally found a book that I LOVED... and it was _Jewels of the Sun_. With Nora Roberts, I always feel like she brings the settings of her books alive, but with _Jewels of the Sun_, she took it to another level. I felt like I was in Ireland... it was amazing! Jude was a character that I could really relate to. Her fears of failing is something we all deal with, and it made me feel a kinship to her character. I took one of her sayings to heart... "If you have courage enough to try, you have courage enough to fail." Aidan, well, he seemed like a man from another century, but hey, this is fiction. It's a good way to get away from your life for a while. I really enjoyed the bonding that went on between Jude, Darcy Gallagher, and Brenna O'Toole. The way the three of them formed as friends and bonded was truly lovely. I could see the friendship they had, and I was amazed at how close it was to the bonding that I have with my friends. Plus, the backdrop of faeries to Jude and Aidan's love was truly speial. Through out the trilogy, there is this mystical backdrop, and I fell in love with it in _Jewels of the Sun_. So after reading this book, I hope that my mom will one day be wraping a box of Lucky Charms for me. Nora Roberts has written a book worth a pot of gold.
on August 1, 2000
Nora Roberts has written more than the typical romance novel; she has woven a love story that reminds you of all the sweetness of falling in love. An astonishing storyteller, Roberts is equally capable of rendering a captivating plot as she is of painting a village so peaceful and charming it makes you want to sell your house and move to Ireland.
Having spent time living in Ireland, I have to say that Roberts's depiction of the people and the place are nothing short of amazing. The way that she recreates the feeling of the land, of the people that inhabit it, made me love the story for its ability to take me back there as much as for the story itself. One might scoff at her liberal use of spirits and fairies, but if you have ever been to Ireland, you know that the place radiates a feeling that makes anything seem possible. There is a quality unique to the lush green landscape that makes believing much more logical and natural than disbelieving, and Roberts has captured that perfectly. Likewise, the Irish are very much as she describes in her book: kind to strangers, amiable and full of laughter, witty and clever to distraction. The dialogue in the book just rolls off the pages with an Irish lilt, and to read her characters's words was like finding myself back on the jeweled isle once more. Although you may not find an Aidan or have a wild love affair if you should go visit Ireland, rest assured that the people and the place are exactly as Roberts tells it.
Nora Roberts is a wonderful storyteller and I loved the story as much as I loved her choice of settings. Jude is a very real character with so many doubts and hesitations that are in each of us, and I was startled more than once by Roberts's ability to hit it right on the nail. Jude's character develops very nicely and believably, and I was pleased that love is not used as a convenient device to solve all problems. Jude and Aidan come together (of course), but not without Jude first coming to the truth of who she is as an individual. Aidan is a wonderful character, and his words made me laugh as often as they made my heart melt away. The other characters in the book are equally intriguing and interesting in their own right, and I loved how Roberts incorporated the Irish folktales into the story. This is a blissfully sweet love story, a fairytale to read and treasure.
on April 2, 2000
That's about all I can say after finishing _Jewels of the Sun_. This book hooked me from the very first page and wouldn't let me go. The electricity between Jude and Aidan very nearly jumps from the page everytime they meet. I really enjoyed the camaraderie between the women in the book. It's something that's usually looked over in romance novels -- the exploration of other relationships and it added a depth of feeling to this book that was touching. The faerie story and folklore woven throughout are an added bonus -- moving things along and making them all the more enjoyable. Turning each page is like stepping into the Irish countryside. You can almost smell the air. Ms. Roberts has a way of describing things so vividly that they leap from the page and weave themselves around and through you. I had a silly grin on my face that I couldn't wipe off. Even when I cried I had a giddy, ignorant smile on my face. It was absolutely, positively wonderful. I'm waiting eagerly for the next installment of the Gallagher story.
on February 28, 2000
Call me a hopelessly romantic fool, but I love this book. In this modern day of age, where every girl have to be sensible, don't fall for this line or that; be on your guard, for your own sake. I can understand how Jude gets to be where she is. In the end, she's disappointed with men and her job. I bet you, she choosed her ex-husband, because he is acceptable according to her sensible reasoning. Not because her heart tells her so. So, where does she goes. Back to her roots and there she meets her handsome , dashing prince. Like the old fairy tales,we girls read when we were small,where the handsome prince rescue the damsel in distress. It's so good, because it puts our modern day perspective into the romantic love. Love is as old as the mother earth. You have to believe in it, otherwise life is no fun. Gallagher is just what every woman wants. He's strong, fun, cares about his friends, and chases after Jude endlessly.This is one of the best book I've read by Nora Robert/J.D.Robb. Definitely will read again on .If you want some fairy tale in your romance, this is the book you must read.