5.0 out of 5 stars My Dream Pretty-Boy Irish-Dish Hero
Published on Dec 1 2003 by Hannah

3.0 out of 5 stars Irish It's Not
I rarely read romance fiction. So much of it is formula fiction. But when I heard about Nora Roberts Irish trilogy ( Jewels of the Sun, Tears of the Moon and Heart of the Sea) I had to take it for a spin.
For the most part the writing is good and entertaining. The action all takes place in present day Ireland and she seems to have a good feel for the setting...
Published on Feb. 2 2003 by Steve B. Mcknelly

4.0 out of 5 stars a charming book!, Jan. 26 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Tears of the Moon: The Gallaghers of Ardmore Trilogy #2 (Mass Market Paperback)
i recommend this book to everyone!shawn is so lovable i could die,and brenna is completely a heroine that you can conect with
(you find yourself thinking "i would have done that!").and the extra element of depth with brennas sister,mary kate,really puts
you on the edge of your seat wondering whats going to happen next!nora roberts has outdone herself with this heartwarming trilogy,read it for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Dream Pretty-Boy Irish-Dish Hero, Dec 1 2003
Hannah (Washington DC) - See all my reviews
He's beautifull, he's sensitive, he's interesting,AND he believes in faries. What's not to love about Shawn? This georgous songwriting irish man and a "fire haired" tom-boy irish woman's interactions steamed up my apartent windows, while also trapping me in another fantastic tale of the farie magic in Ardmore(town where all takes place. The 2nd book in the Gallaghers trilogy is by far my favorite. I think the fact that Nora weaves a love spell around the two most unlikley characters TO fall in love is probably the most enticing factor of the book. The aura of Irish myth and farietale magic that surrounds the story makes it an interesting read. I think you'll love it. I know I loved it. And if you don't fall right along with Brenna in hopless love with Shawn then you must be too much of a cynic to read any more.(to the releif of loving fans like me!

4.0 out of 5 stars great book!, Oct. 6 2003
By A Customer
I reading this trilogy for the second time. I wish I knew more of the faeries and Irish folklore, as it seems so captivating. You truly feel as though you are there with the way that Nora Roberts writes.
By the way, the first and third are just as good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, Aug. 25 2003
Trisha A. Howell "Howell Canyon Press author" (Los Angeles, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
An enchanting continuation of the family saga begun in Jewels of the Sun, this lovely novel focuses on a hero and heroine who are quite unusual and developed with great verisimilitude. It is a pleasure to watch their romance develop as well as to revisit other beloved characters we were introduced to in the first novel (this is the second in a trilogy). Nora Roberts has created a magical village where we would like to live and a cast of characters we would love to know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will Brenna get her man???, June 19 2003
Tanya L. Schaub "TSchlaack" (Livermore, Maine USA) - See all my reviews
I have found after fighting my tastes I really like Nora Roberts stories. Especially the ones set in Ireland.
This is the second of a new trilogy. The stories center around Cerdick the Fairy Prince who has to make things right to be able to spare the ghost of his past love and spend eternity with her. The Gallagher clan (Adian, Shawn and Darcy) must meet their true loves...
This is Shawn and Brenna's story. They have known each other forever. What many don't know is for almost that same amount of time Brenna has loved Shawn and wishes he would notice her. But, she finally decided waiting is not for her (not really her style anyways) and she goes straight to him and proposes they sleep together. Shock is a mild comment as to what Shawn feels... But, does he really know what he wants either?
As usual there is a bit of unbelievable in any story that also has Fairies but this one also shows the misunderstandings that happen in a lot of relationships.
If you are looking for a good romance this one is for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great series!, May 6 2003
By A Customer
Tears of the Moon by Nora Roberts was a very good fictional story about two star-crossed lovers who fall into the trap of fate. The novel explores Irish folklore, which gives the book its magic. Roberts snatches the reader's attention and compels them to want to read more.
Tears of the Moon was the second in an Irish trilogy about the Gallagher family. The trilogy itself revolves around an Irish legend of a fairie prince named Carrick and the mortal woman he loved, Gwen Fitzgerald. Three times Carrick tried to win the love of Gwen and she wanted nothing more than to accept him, but he forgot one thing. He never told her that he loved her. After the third rejection, Carrick got mad and cast a spell on the both of them. They can never be together until true love finds itself three times over. The second time around, the story is of Shawn Gallagher and Brenna O'Toole, friends forever...and maybe a bit more. Is it possible that the two could play a role in breaking the spell? After all, Shawn and Brenna are two very different people. Shawn is a dreamer and is in no rush to change his life in any way. Brenna on the other hand, just wants Shawn to get up and do something with himself!
Tears of the Moon was a great book that will make the reader laugh and continue to turn the page. Nora Roberts did a remarkable job describing the Irish countryside and pulling the reader into the story. This book is recommended to anyone who likes a good romance novel with a little Irish twist.
Also, don't miss the other two books in the trilogy, Jewels of the Sun, the first book, and Heart of the Sea, the third book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This trilogy is amazing!, March 5 2003
Kristal Gorman (Buffalo, New York United States) - See all my reviews
I read this entire trilogy in one weekend!! I could not put it down. I love the story of Shawn and Brenna! There is something so quaint about them. They have been friends forever, and there friends and family are all the same. Add to that a little, quiet seaside village in Ireland and you have an excellent book!! I have always wanted to travel to Ireland and after reading this book, I know that one day I will!

3.0 out of 5 stars Irish It's Not, Feb. 2 2003
But...(you just KNEW that was coming!)
It's also quite obvious that Ms Roberts is an Irish American who took a "weekend trip" to Ireland. There is much in these novels that is jarring me and the research, especially into Irish history, is sloppy at best.
1. A recurring theme in all three books centers around a love affair gone awry between a Fairy Prince and a mortal woman. Ms. Roberts created the "legend" from whole cloth, although I agree it's themely. Except she places the purported romance only three hundred years in the past. A thousand years, even two thousand years ago, and I could believe it, But three hundred years ago Ireland was under the English Occupation who were busily doing their damnedest to commit genocide and had outlawed all Irish culture and language. The name of her "Fairy Prince" is Carrick. I can swallow that. But his mortal lover is named "Lady Gwen". Ireland never followed feudalism and their were no Irish "Ladys" and Gwen is a WELSH name. This leads me to believe that his mortal lover wasn't even IRISH but English!
2. One of the central locations in all three books is a pub owned by a family of two brothers and a sister, all of who are major characters in the novels. Supposedly the pub was established in 1842 and passed down in the family. This was just THREE YEARS before the start of the Great Famine. Considering that all of Ireland starved during the Famine I can't even imagine a pub surviving through it, especially in as tiny a village as the setting is supposed to be.
3. She makes good use of music throughout the books, printing snatches of song lyrics here and there. Until she mentioned Willie McBride. This is a reference to a song called No Man's Land. It was written by Eric Bogle, an expatriate Scotsman living in Australia. Another jarring note.
4. At one point her "Fairy Prince" says "By Finn!" Although Finn had a strong connection to magic and had the gift of the Sight he wasn't even a demigod, much less a god. He was a mortal man. For a Prince of the Sidhe to swear by him simply doesn't fit.
As I'm only halfway through the second book I'm sure that there will be more to make me blink as I read. But I can't help feeling that if she had just taken a little more care and time the books could have been so much better. The mistakes are so gauche. Ireland has a rich history and culture she could have drawn from without making these kinds of errors. All in all I'm disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Here We Go Again... :), July 13 2002
John Rossi (Somers Point, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
Well, once again we find ourselves in the happy little seaside village of Ardmore in County Waterford Ireland. The star-crossed lovers Prince Carrick and Gwen Fitzgerald need more help to break the spell that has kept them apart for 300 years and counting. The excellent depiction of Ireland's scenery, people, music, humor and folklore continues, to great page-turning effect.
This time Carrick's target is the loveable dimwitted "bonehead" Shawn Gallagher, the middle child of the three. Some say he's weak and a wimp. Fine. That's their right. I say he's not. In fact I loved the way he was written. The romance here was just as steamy as Jewels Of The Sun but a bit more tender to me somehow. I really could relate to Sean as I love music and food but can't cook. :) And I don't write music. Anyway I could feel him in my mind easily. Who among men does not have dreams AND the fear of the fact that they just might not come true. Who would NOT resent being "pushed" into love just because it fits with someone else's plans? Who would NOT be content if they could lead a simple life in a place they adore with a job they love to do and if they were content with friends instead of running around chasing every girl in the village?
I digress. What I really loved here was the way the romance worked. Shawn DID learn to go ahead with his dreams. With Carrick and Gwen's help, and quite a bit from Brenna too, Shawn does learn to see what's been right in front of his nose for years... that Brenna loves him and he loves her too, even though he wouldn't let himself admit it. (Hey, men can be real idiots about things, just ask us. So can women for that matter. It's called pride and ego folks. :)) Note: This is an observation, NOT a personal attack on men and women. But the character of Shawn embodies it perfectly, the burning desire for love and yet the deep urge to "be a man" and hide his feelings for fear that they make him look weak and stupid. Brenna has the same problem but learns to overcome it too (she first wants to leave Ardmore to hide her love for Shawn but finally gives in and accepts and embraces that love because she learns the truth that true love is worth FAR much more than pride and ego). The aforementioned fiesty Brenna O'Toole, an adorable tomboy of sorts, is efficient to a fault as well and appears to think acting "female" makes her look weak and idiotic. But she learns that the most efficient way of doing something isn't always the best way. She wants her first romp with Shawn to be "fast and furious and done" but she caves when she is shown that slow and tender can be just as nice and is often much BETTER than fast and furious. She also learns that it's okay to loosen up and be gentle and pretty. She can be herself and loosen up because Shawn will always love her no matter what. That's an important lesson. True love ALWAYS loves the one it seeks to embrace... forever. What man or woman would not wish to have a lover like this?
What I said about Jewels Of The Sun, I will repeat about Tears Of The Moon. I loved the scenery, the writing style, the people, the humor and the warm family spirit. This drove home the lesson that it is important to chase your dreams and give love a chance to enter your life, as it will make your life all the better and richer if you just let it. Love is one of God's best gifts and should never be looked on as something of little value or only something that "real men" (or women) don't or couldn't care less about. True love I think ENABLES you to better be a real and fuller, more complete person if you are lucky and fortunate and blessed enough to find it. Hang on to it and treasure it. When you stand at the point of death it isn't what you've DONE that grieves you the most, they say. It's all the dreams you DIDN'T chase and all the things you DIDN'T do.
To make a long story short, this is a worthy sequel to Jewels Of The Sun and every bit as good. If you like nice feel-good stories with a point and with a heart (and plenty of spice too) pick it up. Peace.

4.0 out of 5 stars also good, June 13 2002
M. Cookson (Colorado Springs) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed the first book in the trilogy, and this one was just about as good. Of the three heroines in the trilogy, I think Brenna is my favorite. When she sees what she wants, she goes off and gets it. Shawn was weakest element of this book. I thought he was fairly bland and not nearly as interesting as the men in the other two books. Brenna has to poke and prod him most of the time in order to get him to move forward in life, or he'd just as happily cook in the pub's kitchen and write music. As with the first book, there are several amusing bits in this book, although as a whole I think I like this book a little less than Jewels of the Sun.

Tears of the Moon: The Gallaghers of Ardmore Trilogy #2
Tears of the Moon: The Gallaghers of Ardmore Trilogy #2 by Nora Roberts (Mass Market Paperback - Nov. 1 2004)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54