Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(1 star).Show all reviews
on March 11, 2002
This woman needs to hire an editor. I love the concept of Anita Blake. She's tough and she can kick some serious ass. The problem with these books is that the character always has to tell us that she's tough and that she can kick some serious ass. Anyone familiar with comic book writing can relate. Every time a new character enters a room, the character announces his or her name, lists all his or her superpowers, and gives us a brief personal history of his or her life. Anita Blake is always telling us that she is a sociopath. Less talk. More action. If this were a comic book, they would be huge bubbles filed with this character's thoughts, but nothing would ever happen. Anita always gets called to the gruesome crime scene. The stuff she sees always give her nightmares. Anita's reactions to the crime scenes in this novel are almost identical to the scenes in "The Laughing Corpse." Also, if you are going to write pulp fiction, then you should have more exciting, erotic sex scenes. This heroine is a prude. She dresses badly. Actually, all the characters dress badly. All the cops hate Anita. All the monsters want her. She keeps getting newer and newer powers. Enough.
on January 20, 2000
I just wanted to say that I am also a huge fan of Laurell Hamilton. When I first went to the book store to pick up a new sci-fi book I didn't know what to look for. But when I saw the cover of her first book for the Anita Series I was already hooked, when I read the back of the cover I was already walking to the counter. Along with that book I picked up the other 2 or 3 that were also published. When I got home and opened up the first book to my amazment I was actually looking at her signature on the first page. Which I personally thought was great. Because I didn't even open up the book to skim it a little. Just went by the back cover. On the first page in the book it said "Happy Reading:) Laurell K. Hamilton" along with the date. I still have the book and every now and then I'll go back and look at it and laugh. Thinking how lucky I am to actually have her autograph and I haven't even met her.....Yet:) Thanx Laurell for giving St. Louis, a whole new perspective. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to read Obsidian Butterfly.
on October 23, 2000
I have followed this series, in spite of inherent problems within it (such as it being gratuitous and self-indulgent), because of the fertility of LK Hamilton's imagination. But she went quite too far for me in this book. It was badly written and edited. Her overusage of the 'emptiness' in the main characters' decription was far too 'empty' of meaning for me. And the ridiculousness of zombies zooming past quite victim-ready people to zing straight into a nursery at a hospital, several floors away from their starting point (apparently just to show how bad they were), was enough to inspire contempt. The main character and her cohorts are supposed to be big and bad, and so are their opponents, but please not at the expense of what makes sense. And L K Hamilton's insistence on continuing rape-like scenes, vampire or monster floor shows, etc has shown herself to be in a rather grotesque creative rut. I do not think I shall be reading other books in this series, or any other of hers.
on February 23, 2001
This is the first book by Laurell K. Hamilton that I have ever read. It is also the last I will ever read. Has this woman ever taken a writing class? A grammar lesson? Does she not have an editor? Those are the only reasons I can think of to explain the travesty that is this novel. With a strong editing hand, the book could have been cut by at least half and the story would have been just as strong. The long, rambling, nonsensical paragraphs that clog up the story bogged the momentum of the book down so badly that I had to grit my teeth to get through the entire thing. I do admit that I was intrigued by the premise of the book, and feel that the story was entertaining. However, the characters were poorly fleshed out or unbelievable, the descriptions were ridiculously detailed and irrelevant, and the general writing style was amatuerish. I'm absolutely shocked that this woman has sold enough books to have the words "New York Times Bestseller" on the front of this novel.
on January 9, 2000
I was vastly disappointed in this book. Yes I know it was to be a book for Edward fans and it is that but I came away with it feeling like Hamilton was trying to dodge resolving some of the situations she's made for Anita back home. Instead of seeing Anita grow, I felt like Hamilton gave us a whole new group of characters to be awed by the Anita we already know. It made the plot seem repetative and contrived. As for Edward, I did not like the way he was painted here. I enjoy the Edward we met in the other books. The cold blooded, calculating hunter. I felt that his character was made into a stereotype in this book. Hard boiled man, made soft and fuzzy by innocent love and children. Just didn't read as anything but tripe and predictable. I hate to say it but if Hamilton has gotten this hackneyed with the Anita Blake world I'd rather she just move on to another character and another series then produce anything else that looks like Obsidean Butterfly.
on March 18, 2001
this book makes you wonder about the mental state of the writer, read all the bad revies of this book and you will get the picture. it drifts endlessly for the first half of the book then degrades into a... something worse. the author uses images of phisical and sexual abuse on children, flayed bodiess, bodies ripped to peices, lots and lots of blood, twisted rituals and psycopathic alies, just to name a few, to bludgen a sence of danger and fear into you which she reminds you constantly of by telling you how dangerous everyone is because the heros (using the term loosely) are almost as willing to kill each other as capture the bad guy and in the end 75% of the gore and abuse and endless naratives on the dangerous and cold characters has absolutely no meaning what so ever. this isnt a mystery because there is nothing for you to figure out by the clues it is simply an exercise in how grose you can make a book and still sell it at you local mall bookstore.
Young Suk
on January 16, 2000
Don't get me wrong. I've positively adored Anita Blake since the first book, but I simply couldn't get through this one. I think Hamilton is an excellent writer, but this book is simply too much. First, Edward only really works as a character if we don't know much about him. Once we know about his personal life, his mystique as the hard-edged killer don't stand up anymore. This was not an "Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter" book, it was a "Lets Demask Edward" book. And Anita did not grow as a person, or so I saw, all she did was have a different cast of men to fall at her feet -- either in death or worship of her beauty/strength/power. The other Blake books are, in my opinion, as close to perfection as any writer can get, but Hamilton seems to keep simply wanting to go more and more grandiose with villians and gross with victims, and this was simply going too far. The book did not further the series at all. It kept it at exactly the same spot.
on May 14, 2000
Laurell K. Hamilton is a hugely talented author. Her books have broken new ground in fantasy. She merges the old PI/detective style with an extremely well constructed universe that includes werewolves, vampires, witches, and an assortment of formerly "oh its only just fantasy" characters. This new recipe makes magic delightfully real, occasionally funny, and always exciting. She has used her universe to explore different genres of writing - from the aforementioned PI/dective novel to gothic romance. Unfortunately, with her latest book, she has lost her sense of fun. In Obsidian Butterfly, perhaps she was trying to merge the psychological thriller genre into her recipe. Nice try. Doesn't work. The wry sense of humor present in the characters is not there in the way it has been in the past. The characters take themselves much too seriously. This book tries to do too much. Where has all of the fun gone Ms. Hamilton?
on March 20, 2000
Tho I liked Edward's story, I was deeply disappointed by the book alltogether. Kept reading in the hope that eventually somewhere Jean Claude will appear. Going through the whole thing, without him was painful.If this is the last book in the series. I feel let down. I feel like a kid on Xmas day finding an empty box under the tree. As much pleasure I got from all the books before this, I expected the same. It is Jean Claude that keeps me enchanted, I'm not as fond of Richard. But even
Richard's presence would have made this book worth reading. I know that readers have no right to demand that the author provide us with what we want to read. But still.I'm sure we all want Jean Claude in the story not just for half a page. The unforgettable scenes from the previous books when he was so beautifully present, so detailed that I could almost touch him. And now a whole entire book without him, waaaaah!
on January 12, 2000
Is Hamilton grasping here, or is it just me? How many pages can we spend talking about each article of clothing Anita wears, each weapon she puts on...and if I hear about her Nikes one more time, I'll hurl the book across the room.
Anita is turning into something I never wanted to see, someone that is too perfect. She's a "Mary Sue": every man wants her, every woman envys her, she's strong, she's pretty, she saves the day. Edward--I just didn't like him in this book. The whole plot with Donna was ridiculous.
And can we say sloppy editing? On one page, Anita's Uncle Otto is from Hapsburg, while on the next, he's from Hamburg. Let's make up our minds and read the galley's before we go to final print, hmm?
I don't know why this book was printed in hardcover; it's getting a treatment it doesn't deserve. Earlier books were better; this one disappoints.