5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Entertaining Read
Deidre Martin's first novel is a gem. As a sports fan, it was fun to have the interweaving of the world of hockey in a romantic comedy. Here's the breakdown:
Published on Sept. 4 2003 by PadreRat

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute story, but let's get real....
Published on May 3 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute story, but let's get real...., May 3 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Body Check (Mass Market Paperback)
Okay, it was a really cute story, but since I have worked for a professional hockey team, and know quite a few players personally, I know this is way too sappy. If it had happened with any real team, I don't care how much Lou liked Janna, her butt would have been kicked out the door in a heartbeat. Also, her little bit on puckbunnies didn't even cover the things they will do to get a player. It's sad. The only thing close to the mark was Lubov's attacking Theresa. Overall, a cute, sappy read, but if you're looking for a good hockey romance, this isn't it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Now that's the way a hockey romance novel should be written, April 16 2009
killerwhaletank - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Body Check (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the real deal for a hockey romance novel, as far as I'm concerned. Much better than Rachel Gibson's "Simply Irresistible" which almost destroyed my hope that a romance author could write such a thing as a book about hockey!

I was really nervous going into this one... I love hockey and I love romance novels, so what better combination could there be? I had tried reading Deirdre Martin's "Total Rush" and disliked it so much I couldn't finish it so I was worried about whether I'd like her writing or if that was just a bad book. Turns out that that was just not a great book. This one made me really enjoy her as an author and I had a hard time putting it down.

She didn't disappoint me at all. I enjoyed the characters (wish we could have learned more about some of them) and I enjoyed the story, but most of all, I enjoyed that this was really a hockey romance, not just a romance novel that tossed around a few hockey buzz words, hoping to sound like it knew what it was talking about. I get the feeling reading this that Martin really took the time to do some research and tried to make her hockey world sound authentic. I think she succeeded. It's still a romance novel first and foremost so of course I expect it to be as true to "real life" as much as I would any other romance novel, but the work she did researching before writing this pays off by making her hockey world at the very least sound genuine, and that's high praise for a romance author. Not all succeed in that area!

Can't wait to go out and buy Martin's "Fair Play" now and see if that one lives up to "Body Check".

4.0 out of 5 stars You don't have to love hockey to enjoy this one!, March 16 2004
This review is from: Body Check (Mass Market Paperback)
Rather fluffy, but still well-written. Jenna is a tiny, insecure - yet somehow tough and no-nonsense - PR professional. She's been brought in by a mega-conglomerate to help makeover the image of a bad-boy pro hockey team. Ty is the captain of the team - and not interested in doing anything for the (typically cliché, but clichés are based on reality) heartless corporate owners. And he's not especially interested in doing anything for Jenna, with her annoying habit of pestering him. And we all know where this is going to lead - and it does, with enough fun and enough angst to keep you reading on. A subplot involves Jenna's best friend who is assaulted by another member of the team - and pay attention, because this comes back in Martin's second book, Fair Play. I do find it interesting that most reviewers just love this book, but many come down hard on Fair Play. As readers, are we only willing to accept that the male character is the pig-headed one that needs to be brought 'round to the joys that love and marriage can bring? I actually liked Fair Play a bit more - and I think it was the twist that that woman is the difficult one that made it a better read for me. Just a thought. At any rate - buy 'em both, read them in order - all in all, good fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good for a first book, Dec 14 2003
Shortchick "Dorean Squire" (San Diego, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Body Check (Mass Market Paperback)
I enjoyed reading Body Check. I'm a rabid hockey fan (went to all four rounds of the '02-'03 playoffs, and saw the sweeps of both the Wings and the Wild), which is really kind of weird when you consider I was raised in Palm Springs, and this book seemed like it could be "A Season in the Life of an NHLer" There are two things I had a beef with, though.
1. Janna probably would have been fired for getting involved with Ty in the un-Romanticized world. Most sports teams have a really strict policy about employees fraternizing with players. Hate to say it, Janna, but you...woulda been sacked.
2. Like a Canadian reviewer noted, they are PUCK bunnies, PUCK bunnies! NOT rink bunnies. The only time I even hear the term rink bunny is, oddly enough, in romance novels that have hockey. Please, for the love of Maurice Richard, Gordie Howe, and Wayne Gretzky, get it right.
So, enjoy the book, and in the words of Mike Myers, Maple Leafs fan: Game On!
(P.S., Disney is nowhere near as bad as Kidco is as owners. Go Ducks!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great First Book, Sept. 19 2003
Margaret (Columbia, PA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Body Check (Mass Market Paperback)
Hurricane Isabel passed through here last night. Since I couldn't sleep, I read this whole book in one sitting. Well, I did get a meal or 2 and go potty occasionally. But why waste a perfectly good storm being nervous when you can get caught up in somebody's else problems?
I enjoyed the story. I don't know much about hockey but knowledge of the game isn't a requirement to get a kick out of this book. I liked both Janna and Ty. Even though I wanted to kick his rear end fairly often. Which I'm sure Janna did too. I liked the fact that she was willing to go in the face of her inner fears and do what needed to be done to get the job done. Good going, Janna!
I do have a quibble or 2. I would like to have seen the secondary characters more fleshed out. They are too peripheral to the amount of time that passes in the story. A whole hockey season. However, I do like that the romance took up the whole season and not a quickie weekend.
Quibble #2 is that too many threads are left dangling. I know that friend Theresa and, I guess, hockey player Michael will have their story down the road. However, being an epilogue junkie, I would love to have seen one here that took care of some of those loose threads.
Emma's parents? Her little brother? Her sisters? These last 2 never seemed quite real, by the way. Ms. Donovan states that Emma love her sister Petra <?> So why did they never get together and do lunch once in awhile?
Quibble #3 is a biggie for me. What the heck is Ty going to do now? this would have been very nice in an epilogue. It's hard to believe that a guy who was so totally fixated on the Stanley Cup and winning-at-all-costs for so many years, could just walk away without a pang or backward glance. He didn't seem to agonize over this at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Entertaining Read, Sept. 4 2003
PadreRat (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Body Check (Mass Market Paperback)
PR miracle worker, Janna MacNeil, faces her biggest challenge. Clean up the image of the Stanley Cup winning New York Blades to the satisfaction of their new (family oriented) owner. (Think Disney owning the Ducks here). To accomplish this feat, she needs to get them seen doing charity work and staying out of trouble. In order to accomplish this, she needs the backing of the Blade's captain, Ty Gallagher.
Ty is a man on a mission...to win another Stanley Cup. He thinks that the owners only deserve his time on the ice. He is the leader and it is his task to make sure the player's heads are all focused on the same prize. When Janna approaches Ty, he flat-out refuses. In his mind, PR is a distraction and not something he wants to be told what to do. If he feels like helping, he'll do it on his own without media around. Needless to say, sparks fly between Ty and Janna as they try to work together for the common good of the team.
The story makes you feel like you are part of the team for the entire season. You meet the different players, the team's staff and the families. The main subplot involves Janna's roommate, Theresa and is the topic for Ms. Martin's second book.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and can't wait to see if the next one holds up to the same standard.

4.0 out of 5 stars 1/2 *, Aug. 24 2003
Rose Chastain (aromancereview.com) - See all my reviews
Courtesy of A Romance Review
Stanley Cup champion, New York Blades, is a PR nightmare. Janna MacNeil is the newly hired publicist by the new team owner, Kidco Corporation, to repair and re-image the whole team. First of all, she needs the players to make public appearances and participate in charity functions. Moreover, she needs full co-operation from the team¡s captain, Ty Gallagher.
Ty Gallagher¡s aim is to win the Stanley Cup again and doesn¡t care much about PR. No matter how Janna reasons or begs him, he doesn¡t participate to please the new boss. On the other hand, he is a gorgeous guy and finds Janna cute and smart. He loves to rub shoulders with Janna and that¡s what makes the story become alive and interesting.
New author, Deirdre Martin, sets her first scene of Body Check in the locker room of the New York Blades and success in attracting readers¡ attention. The first chapter introduces the players of the team as well as the hero and heroine. Readers will love Janna¡s independence and capability in solving any problems in the teams and Ty¡s confidence and strong leadership.
What is ice hockey? Well, I didn't know until Body Check. It gives me a brief idea about what it is like and I had so much fun in reading about these gorgeous and capable players. Apart from this, the dialogue between Janna and Ty kept me laughing and scowling all through the pages. If you love a romance with a sport theme, Body Check is the one you are looking for! And don¡t miss the sequel of this fun tale Fair Play in January 2004.

4.0 out of 5 stars 1/2 *, Aug. 24 2003
Rose Chastain (aromancereview.com) - See all my reviews
Courtesy of A Romance Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Can girl convince jock that the game isn't everything?, July 18 2003
This review is from: Body Check (Mass Market Paperback)
You may have heard this one described as a "hockey book" but it's really not. For me, hockey was background for the story and since I'm not a fan and know little about the game, I don't share some of the complaints other readers had about the minutia of the sport.
All handsome, driven team captain Ty Gallagher wants is to win another Stanley Cup. He has no intention of cooperating in the image makeover the owners want to impose in the form of pretty, sexy new publicist Janna MacNeil. His repeated refusals (Lord, was he stubborn!) to participate in the various charity and other feel-good events Janna organizes result in some fiery exchanges. And eventually the sexual sparks between them turn into a "casual" sexual relationship. But when crunchtime comes with the approach of the playoffs will Ty choose hockey over his relationship with Janna? Was it really just "casual sex" or was it something more?
I enjoyed this story, but I thought there were some things that could have been better. There needed to be a bit more sexual chemistry between Janna and Ty. As others have pointed out, much of their together time is told in remembrance and would have been better seen first person (i.e., more sex, please!). And the evolution of Ty's feelings for Janna was not well drawn, making his decisions and actions at the end seem slightly out of character and abrupt.
And I know I shouldn't compare, but this book is much more on the cute, warm, charming side than Rachel Gibson's two hockey stories Simply Irresistible and See Jane Score which I found a bit edgier and thus more realistic. But her boss Lou was too cute and kid brother Wills adorable. And I look forward to Janna's roommate Theresa's story Fair Play. The excerpt was fun and it looks like fellow hockey jock Michael will need all of his good humor and perseverance in the face of rejection to crack that nut!
An enjoyable read and a good first novel!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..., June 30 2003
This review is from: Body Check (Mass Market Paperback)
First of all, I LOVE Hockey. When you are from Minnesota, you learn to skate hours after you make that first baby step. And the problem I have with this book is that this is not written by someone who loves..or knows Hockey. The writing is good...and very fast paced--but the characters are not very believable. It is hard to like our heroine--...--and that the players would even like her. There is not much to like except for her relationship with her young brother. She is brash and obnoxious and unfortunately some of the most intimate moments with the hero are told not shown...and thus there is a lack of chemistry. My guess is that the editor wanted her to write something like Rachel Gibson (why I read this in the first place) and I think she would have been better off writing about the Soap Opera world..where she came from. (and which she refers to lovingly..) I think that would be more interesting. BTW, I will not be reading the next book about the roommate. This woman is even scarier.

Body Check
Body Check by Deirdre Martin (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 25 2003)
CDN$ 9.99