5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!
Published on May 24 2006 by Victoria

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute story, but let's get real....
Published on May 3 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute story, but let's get real...., May 3 2003
This review is from: Body Check (Mass Market Paperback)
Okay, it was a really cute story, but since I have worked for a professional hockey team, and know quite a few players personally, I know this is way too sappy. If it had happened with any real team, I don't care how much Lou liked Janna, her butt would have been kicked out the door in a heartbeat. Also, her little bit on puckbunnies didn't even cover the things they will do to get a player. It's sad. The only thing close to the mark was Lubov's attacking Theresa. Overall, a cute, sappy read, but if you're looking for a good hockey romance, this isn't it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Now that's the way a hockey romance novel should be written, April 16 2009
killerwhaletank - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Body Check (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the real deal for a hockey romance novel, as far as I'm concerned. Much better than Rachel Gibson's "Simply Irresistible" which almost destroyed my hope that a romance author could write such a thing as a book about hockey!

I was really nervous going into this one... I love hockey and I love romance novels, so what better combination could there be? I had tried reading Deirdre Martin's "Total Rush" and disliked it so much I couldn't finish it so I was worried about whether I'd like her writing or if that was just a bad book. Turns out that that was just not a great book. This one made me really enjoy her as an author and I had a hard time putting it down.

She didn't disappoint me at all. I enjoyed the characters (wish we could have learned more about some of them) and I enjoyed the story, but most of all, I enjoyed that this was really a hockey romance, not just a romance novel that tossed around a few hockey buzz words, hoping to sound like it knew what it was talking about. I get the feeling reading this that Martin really took the time to do some research and tried to make her hockey world sound authentic. I think she succeeded. It's still a romance novel first and foremost so of course I expect it to be as true to "real life" as much as I would any other romance novel, but the work she did researching before writing this pays off by making her hockey world at the very least sound genuine, and that's high praise for a romance author. Not all succeed in that area!

Can't wait to go out and buy Martin's "Fair Play" now and see if that one lives up to "Body Check".

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, May 24 2006
This review is from: Body Check (Mass Market Paperback)
I never really read love stories, but when my mom picked up a copy of Total Rush- I was amazed. I decided to get all of the other books written by Deirdre Martin, and have so far read Body Check and Fair Play. Though I read Total Rush before ody Check and Fair Play, I have to say Body Check has to be my fabourite. It is full of comedy and inner emotional conflict. It is an exciting and fast paced novel that keeps you reading. I never wanted to put the book down. The characters are very loveable, and the plot is realistic. I loved it and you probably will too!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Romance Novel for Hockey Fans, July 13 2004
"jrose85826" (Belmont, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Body Check (Mass Market Paperback)
This is by far one of my favorite books ever. Coming right in after it is the second one Fair Play. This book is great for romantic hockey fans. Deirdre Martin knows that game and writes a great love story. If you enjoy old fashioned love stories and hockey you will love this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hockey Romance -- what Fun!, July 1 2004
This review is from: Body Check (Mass Market Paperback)
What a great idea -- a hockey romance. The characters were people I wanted to spend time with and as a great hockey fan, I enjoyed reading about what happens on and off the ice. I have always dreamed about ending up with a hockey player -- and my fantasies were indulged by Deirdre Martin's debut romance, which is the perfect "I'm spending the day alone with a book" book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, June 5 2004
This review is from: Body Check (Mass Market Paperback)
Body check is the first of two books,(second being, Fair Play) by Deirdre Martin, and a third book, Total Rush is on it's way!
I must say thatI am not a big ice-hockey fan, but I really enjoyed these books. I felt that the characters were, contrary to one review on this page, most likeable and most believable. I like characters that are flawed and make mistakes, as we all do in real life, and Janna and Ty certainly do this. But like most of us, they work through it, and eventually end up doing the right thing. Janna is a strong woman dealing with her own insecurities and fears, and Ty is a strong man, trying to work out his priorities. In this well written, and originally funny book, we are told their story, and a good one it is too!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not thrilled..., April 10 2004
This review is from: Body Check (Mass Market Paperback)
I was really looking forward to reading this book after all the wonderful reviews it has received. I was eagerly looking forward to reading another fabulous hockey book after reading See Jane Score by Rachel Gibson.
I was greatly disappointed. I am not a religious zealot by any means, but I was really turned off by the amount of times the name Jesus, or Jesus Christ was used in profanity. If fact, it happened so often that I eventually put the book down and still have not finished it. Nor do I have any plans to. I don't like to read in every other paragraph the name Jesus Christ taken in vain.
I know that it may be a small thing to some, or no big deal, but this is my personal opinion and feelings. Other than that, I had no real problems at all with what I'd read. So, if you don't mind that sort of thing, I'm sure you will greatly enjoy the book. It had wonderful potential.

3.0 out of 5 stars I was bored, April 2 2004
A. Brown (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Body Check (Mass Market Paperback)
I usually like books like this, but this novel just couldn't keep my interest. I didn't feel connected with the characters like I do with some other similar authors. I guess I will keep reading the book someday... but at this point I have no desire to finish the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun, March 22 2004
Janelle "j27tweet" (College Point, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Body Check (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved this book. For anyone who likes books like this and hockey, this is a must read. I couldn't put the book down, not only was I excited about Janna and Ty, but I was just as excited about the New York Blades games and run to the Stanley Cup. For anyone who loves hockey, this is a great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars You don't have to love hockey to enjoy this one!, March 16 2004
This review is from: Body Check (Mass Market Paperback)
Rather fluffy, but still well-written. Jenna is a tiny, insecure - yet somehow tough and no-nonsense - PR professional. She's been brought in by a mega-conglomerate to help makeover the image of a bad-boy pro hockey team. Ty is the captain of the team - and not interested in doing anything for the (typically cliché, but clichés are based on reality) heartless corporate owners. And he's not especially interested in doing anything for Jenna, with her annoying habit of pestering him. And we all know where this is going to lead - and it does, with enough fun and enough angst to keep you reading on. A subplot involves Jenna's best friend who is assaulted by another member of the team - and pay attention, because this comes back in Martin's second book, Fair Play. I do find it interesting that most reviewers just love this book, but many come down hard on Fair Play. As readers, are we only willing to accept that the male character is the pig-headed one that needs to be brought 'round to the joys that love and marriage can bring? I actually liked Fair Play a bit more - and I think it was the twist that that woman is the difficult one that made it a better read for me. Just a thought. At any rate - buy 'em both, read them in order - all in all, good fun.

Body Check
Body Check by Deirdre Martin (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 25 2003)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49