4.0 out of 5 stars A nice night's read
I tore through this in about five hours and man, am I tired.
Published on July 6 2004 by Kelly Keil

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it for the Hamilton story
I would have given the book 5 stars but the "headlining" author's contribution was terrible. It started off good then she went down hill again, just like her last 2 books.
Published on June 30 2004 by G. Arnold

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice night's read, July 6 2004
Kelly Keil (Chicago) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cravings (Mass Market Paperback)
I tore through this in about five hours and man, am I tired.
The only author I was familiar with was LKH, and I figured out that the "story" was nothing more than the tease that one always gets in her latest paperback before the hardcover comes out (like the funeral scene from Cerulean Sins that was included at the end of Nacissis In Chains). I really want to read the book, and though wild horses could not have kept me from reading the snippet, I didn't find it satisfying. It was, as other have said, a bit confusing and definitely...well...a tease.
The second story, Dead Girls Don't Dance, I lurved. I may check out the author's other novel, Undead and Unwed, although I am worried about Betsy. She struck me even in the little bit part that she plays at the end of the story as rather annoying. Sinclair, however, seems to have miles of potential, so we'll see. As for the story itself, I adored both Andy (I mean Andrea) and her dopey, yet not entirely without sense, beau.
I was very fond of the third story. I liked the universe in which it existed and I'd like to know more about it. Like the other stories, I suspect that this one has other novels written about it, and I see myself looking up the author in the future. You don't get a lot of books about succubi, so I have to give the author kudos for doing something a tad different. As for the hero -- what he turned out to be was definitely a first for me. I don't think I've ever read about a hero quite like Michael. Ever.
The fourth story was probably my least favorite. I'm not terribly keen on werewolves that aren't of the LKH variety, first off. Secondly, I really don't like the romance/mystery genre. Just not my bag. Lastly, I didn't buy the instant attraction between the two characters. They were more or less strangers, yet they were banging each other right off the bat. Even with Grant thinking of his dead wife most of the time, which I found rather more creepy than anything else.
YMMV, and likely does.

4.0 out of 5 stars I would rather give it 4.5 stars, July 19 2004
This review is from: Cravings (Mass Market Paperback)
Being a former Anita Blake fan, I bought this book because of Rebecca York. However, I have to give credit where credit's due. I agree with some of the reviews that this wasn't the place for a short interlude into Anita Blake's world, but this small piece was better than LHK's last few books in the series. A little slow in the beginning, but now I'm actually thinking about buying Incubus Dreams instead of getting it from the library.
As for Rebecca York, keep the good times rolling, girl. The last three books in your Moon Series (???) were incredible. Since then, I've been dying to read more.
I knew knew nothing about Eileen Wilks or MaryJanice Davidson. I'm glad I've had the chance to sample their writing because that means I can add two more authors to add to my Must-Read list.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have., July 17 2004
This review is from: Cravings (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is quite an appetizer for the different books that are sampled in it. I now wait with clenched teeth of anticipation for Incubus Dreams by Laurell K Hamilton. As well as now on the "hunt" for books from the other authors. MaryJanice Davidson's story "Dead Girls Don't Dance" is funny with alot of wit and sarcasm; not to mention the fact that the not so popular girl in college gets the jock superstar. Can't wait for the rest of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It, July 16 2004
This review is from: Cravings (Mass Market Paperback)
A little taste of Anita is just what I needed to whet my appetite for the forthcoming full-length novel coming soon! And to be introduced to three other writers of the same ilk was great! I've already ordered one of their books, too! How can you not love this stuff?

4.0 out of 5 stars York is always good, July 16 2004
This review is from: Cravings (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought the book because of Rebecca York. I'd just finished her three moon books and wanted more. The short story here was a nice addition, and I hope there will be more of these werewolf stories.
Originally Human, by Eileen Wilks, was my second favorite. Her characters kept my interest and she had a spark of humor. I'd really like to know more about the sorcerer, Cullen, if she gets back to this realm, and I can see lots of room for expanding on the story of the two characters here - I *want* to know what happens to them next.
Mary Davidson's story was good. I haven't read her before, but ads for her books looked interesting.
I was disappointed in the Hamilton story. In fact, I didn't read it all the way through. It started interestingly enough, but went downhill, seemingly more about sex than story, unfortunately.
Still worth the money for the other three, though.

1.0 out of 5 stars An Insult to Laurell K Hamilton readers!, July 14 2004
This review is from: Cravings (Mass Market Paperback)
I was very excited to read this book, having eagerly anticipated the next Anita Blake novel. I was disappointed to hear that this would be only an excerpt, rather than a stand-alone story (it would be easy enough to give us a short adventure with our favorite characters without affecting the standing plotlines!), but I bought the book anyway, to tide me over until "Incubus" is released.
Laurell K. Hamilton has never shown much regard for the finished product--her paperbacks contain the same typos that were in the hardcover edition, and there seems to be a series lack of copy editing before the books hit the stores. "Cravings" is just embarrassing--the excerpt is pointless and unrewarding, and the text is rife with errors--a student in a high school English class would be ashamed of such a piece!
The other stories are mediocre, feeling more like padding for the LKH story than anything else, and they have less of an edge than the Anita Blake-style tales.
Overall, I feel like I should send my copy to the publisher with red marks all over it and demand a refund. An author should respect her readers, and a publisher should have dignity enough to present a complete product. This is like the factory-seconds of novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't pick it up if you don't want to read it in one sitting, July 14 2004
Amazon Customer "lilydwen" (Portland, Or United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cravings (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm a faithful fan of the Sidhe series and the Anita Blake series. The short story embelishes on the Anita series and is a must for any library. The other three authors where totally new to me and blew me away with their abilities. Now I have three more authors to look forward to buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars can you be anything but satisfied...., July 13 2004
michelle (fredericksburg, va) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cravings (Mass Market Paperback)
I approached this book just concerned reading laurell's portion of the book. But i have also found three new authors that I really like and will explore their books in the near future. I think laurell's selection would make better sense if you had read the anita series (which I highly reccomend).

5.0 out of 5 stars Sexy fun!, July 11 2004
Tracy Stillman "Space Cadet" (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cravings (Mass Market Paperback)
This is fun and sexy short story collection hat keeps you turning the pages. There wasn't a single story that didn't grab my attention. I didn't want to put the book down! I loved Mary Janice Davidson's 'Dead Girls Don't Dance'. It was witty and sensual with enough action to keep it all interesting, but not enough that you thought it could be scripted into a soft core adult movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars when you just can't get enough, July 9 2004
This review is from: Cravings (Mass Market Paperback)
Like many laurell Hamilton fans, I can barely wait between publications of her vampire series...and her faerie series is only an appetizer. If you love Anita and her sexy little boy toys you must read this book. I was surprised to find that I enjoyed the other three stories as much as I did "Blood Upon My Lips" -- so now I have three new authors to try out before September when the new Hamilton book comes out.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Cravings
Cravings by Eileen Wilks (Mass Market Paperback - June 28 2004)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49