5.0 out of 5 stars Great book
I think I have read this book about 15 times. It never gets old. By far the best in the series.
Published 16 months ago by James McWade

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting stuff, but nothing brilliant
This is pretty familiar ground for cyberpunk enthusiasts, seen through a different character, with a little mixed-up Orpheus myth tossed in and with the science not quite so well explained. As near as I can figure out, the "Vurt" is a nanotechnological drug. Read the book, what I say will make more sense.
It's interesting, certainly, but there's really...
Published on March 8 2001 by Dan Seitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, March 7 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting stuff, but nothing brilliant, March 8 2001
Dan Seitz "cinnatusc" (Somerville, MA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vurt (Paperback)
It's interesting, certainly, but there's really not much of a point to it other than having fun, being a good ride. I plowed through 220 pages of this waiting for an on a train, that's how fast it can go.
It is a fun read, but it doesn't really tell us anything, nothing like Gibson's future near-noir or Stephenson's hysterical glancing at humanity. A book for the beach, I enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What is going on?, June 19 2004
C. Myers "leanleaper" (Simi Valley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vurt (Paperback)
Is it possible to embrace an incestuous protagonist? To side with a gang of cop-killers? To care about people who are rootless and careless and directionless? If Jeff Noon is doing the storytelling it is possible. Furthermore, the world Noon creates is so compellingly twisted and mysterious that the sociopathy of the Stash Riders is made to seem almost heroic. That's the mark of a helluva storyteller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Feb. 24 2004
Gregory Baird (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vurt (Paperback)
This book is a dazzling journey which plunges you into a psychedelic, grimy near-future ruled by anarchy. Jeff Noon possesses an incredible creativity that at times creeps you out with its perversity but never fails to stagger you with its power. It would be very interesting to get a cup of coffee with this guy and have a conversation with him. In a nutshell the book is about a man who loses his sister in another dimension of sorts (called a vurt) only accessible through use of a rare and highly dangerous feather drug. His quest to find her is an unusual and thoroughly exciting ride even if I'm not quite sure what deeper message it is trying to send. 'Vurt' is well worth reading for its truly unique nature and its ability to draw you in and hold you under its spell. It is that rare novel which cannot be adequately described - it must be experienced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Drugs, Jan. 3 2004
Christopher A. Dowling "tintinet" (Freeport, ME) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vurt (Paperback)
Vurt takes you down, in, out, and through a drug warped reality of the future. Always entertaining and intoxicating. Vurt gives you access to another world....Go visit!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, Nov. 17 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Vurt (Paperback)
This is most definately one of the best books there are to read out there. The plot pulls you into the Vurt, it's amazing. This is Noon's best work, no doubt.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Feather Full of Dreams, April 13 2003
"rhaeve" (Berea, KY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vurt (Paperback)
"A young boy puts a feather into his mouth..."
From the first sentence of the book, I was drawn in. I forced myself to read only one chapter at a time, to actually consider what I'd read and let it sink in, and that made this book that much richer. To me, it heralded back to Clockwork Orange. The Stash Riders (made up of Scribble, Beetle, Mandy, and Bridget) have their own vocabulary grown from the world they inhabit - where feathers can hold their fondest dreams or worst nightmares, where the worst poison comes from dreamsnakes, where pure is poor, and where shadowcops lurk above every all-night Vurt-U-Want.
Scribble is a young man, not so out of the ordinary, who wants nothing more than to have his sister back again. That want drives him to a destiny he'd not even considered, gaining and losing almost everything in the process.
I'm enamoured with this book. It stays on my nightstand so I can hear Scribble tell his story whenever I want. Let Jeff Noon take you into his tangibly ethereal world.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most vision-inducing novel I have ever encountered, Feb. 25 2003
Brooke Pennington "Renaissance girl" (Pocatello, ID USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vurt (Paperback)
The colors on the cover of Jeff Noon's "Vurt" are something of a clue to what lies inside: a technicolor dreamworld where the pace of life approaches that of a video game. But we're not in Kansas anymore from the opening pages: the world Noon spins is one of robo-crusties, shadowgoths, fleshcops, and, of course, the feathers.
The basic plot is a little convoluted, but it basically involves an underground culture similar to the drug culture today (I have heard that Noon drew on the Manchester drug/rave scene to create his hollow lanscapes of urban decay and drugged-out escapism). In this culture there is a group of "stash riders", our heroes, who lounge around tripping on feathers which send you into a virtual reality when they are placed in the mouth. Scribble, the protagonist, is trying to go far enough into the "vurt" to find answers about the disappearance of his sister.
More than any other book out there, "Vurt" deserves to be made into a movie. Its insanely intense visuals would just now be able to be translated onscreen, thanks to computer technology. But at the same time it is fun to imagine your own versions of pivotal scenes, such as someone dying by melting into luminous fractals. The pacing of the story is so breakneck that it almost leaves you breathless to close the book at the end. And after Noon's hilarious descriptions of some of the people and things in the book, I have very detailed images of them in my mind. I recommend this book to anyone interested in cyberpunk, the drug culture,, or movies like "Strange Days" and "The Thirteenth Floor".

3.0 out of 5 stars A great story with some cyberpunk apsects..., Dec 1 2002
This review is from: Vurt (Paperback)
I have to admit I was really turned off by the whole feathers thing at first. But Jeff Noon has a way of bringing you into the story even if you do agree with some core issues. Anyway as the story goes we have a group of British stash riders who are living day by day life on the edge. Feathers are used to take you to another world, another plane of existence, sometimes good, but always with consequences. The main character scribble is on a mission of love. Unfortunately, yes this love is physical and when you find out how it may disgust you. This book centers around the lost of a loved one due to a yellow feather (don't worry you will find out more about yellow feathers and other feathers as you read the book.) We have a thing, a van, shadowcops, and a lot of feathers. Not to mention numerous instances which will remind you of the Cheshire cat in Alice in Wonderland?
Honestly this book was a much better read then I first thought it would be. I did see how it could be classified cyberpunk, but it seemed to lack the technology aspect, or at least did not have as much. It has a very well done story line with some incredible plot twists. The feathers bugged me a little and at times reminded me of what I thought an LSD trip would be like. All and all it has been an enjoyable book. If you haven't read it before, read it. If you are like me and have read it at least once, then maybe once is enough. It all depends on your tastes.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the selected few, the find of a lifetime, Nov. 23 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Vurt (Paperback)
For those who enjoy being challenged by what they read, enticed into a world so different that one can actually relate to it, then Jeff Noon's novel Vurt is for you. Do not despair if others have rated this work poorly; this is only because they are not willing to open their minds and revel in the totality of this book's genius. Vurt is an awesome read that will make your head spin, sending ideas and messages much appreciated if you can only interpret them. Although I cannot openly give this book to all of my friends, those whom I knew would appreciate it returned it with much praise. Vurt comes with a well warning, but like English Voodoo (you'll find out about this later) will also captivate your mind with some truly amazing literature. Vurt deserves every laude it receives.

Vurt
Vurt by Jeff Noon (Hardcover - Jan. 17 1995)
Used & New from: CDN$ 2.08