4.0 out of 5 stars Very little good companion to take along with you, Oct. 7 2013
This review is from: Five-Minute Activities: A Resource Book of Short Activities (Paperback)
Penny Ur is one of those household names in ESL teaching and her book Five-Minute Activities certainly demonstrate this. I find the activities here are especially good for things you want to review from previous lessons. As with any sort of teaching book, you will have to adapt most of the activities to suit the context and content of your lesson. While it's true that the internet has many a good idea as well, and I've come across some of these activities before, there are times when you just don't have the luxury to search for things for hours or to come up with activities from the top of your head. Cue Five-Minute Activities. It's also very small and I often take it to work with me to skim through during my break between classes. It's great as I make notes for which activities would be feasible in case my lesson runs short that day. These activities really are designed as things between topics, and/or either for the start of class or something to wrap up the lesson, so if you're like me and are always in need of interesting grammar games, it probably wouldn't be suitable. Otherwise, I felt this book was an excellent purchase and a great companion. Furthermore, it hardly ever stays in my bookshelf, unlike so many other ESL books that I have purchased in the past that just sit there gathering dust.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Jan. 23 2003
This is an excellent tool for beginners and advanced teachers alike. This book helps you find ways to teach English, and while you are using it you will develop your own unique ways of changing their material to fit your needs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for the help!, Nov. 19 2002
By A Customer
So, I was recommended this book, along with a couple dozen others, from my TESOL class. I FINALLY bought it here in Seoul and I'm happy to have the help with the ideas. Teachers have to be creative but it's nice to have the help. The only thing that I might have liked to see (and this is just to spoil me) is have the book broken down into their categories in the front of the book, instead of just the index...and by level. I still highly recommend the book because I don't see myself living without it again.

ARRAY(0xacac266c)

Five-Minute Activities: A Resource Book of Short Activities
Five-Minute Activities: A Resource Book of Short Activities by Andrew Wright (Paperback - March 27 1992)
CDN$ 34.95 CDN$ 28.64